Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 03:22 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,682,743 times

Advertisements

Went through Andrew. No fun. Went through the several storms that passed through a few years back and while they were mild I did not enjoy them either. Honestly there is nothing the least bit funny about hurricanes imo. And they are not exciting either. They can be downright scary and even a tropical storm can leave a lot of mess to clean up. One TS took down all of my wood fences and cost a pretty penny to replace only to have another small storm take half of the new ones down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 04:00 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
it's far too late in the year for a healthy hurricane. However, the way the weather has been so far you may get your wish next year. Hurricanes are not dangerous if you are in a properly built structure. However, since most homes are made partly or totally of wood the danger is real. I had a friend who ignored my advice and stayed home in Country Walk. Instead I rode out the storm at my parents house near Kendall. My concrete roof shed project that I used as a chemistry lab made an awesome shelter!

Old 11-09-2009, 04:07 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Did you actually stay in your house during Hurricane Andrew ? Or , did you go to a shelter ? During the brunt of the storm , did you venture outside just to see what it was like ? Can you tell me what you experienced during that Storm wherever you were taking refuge ? Id really like to know.

I didnt mean to make light of Hurricanes , but, this is something very new to me and Id like to experience a mild Hurricane if there is such a thing. Thanks.
Well you are going to get a mid hurricane tonight, probably a tropical storm. Yes we stayed in our home during Andrew which my parents built, so he had it built right. Yes my sister and Dad did venture out during the eye of the hurricane to move a car, but not during the hurricane. I have been out during a Cat 1 hurricane, to take photos but that isn't very smart. Experience wise, its a long story... its scary and it sounds like a freight train is outside your house literally, you can hear things hitting the house, no power, only the radio and flash lights. Just stay safe tonight and the next few days please.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:01 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
And then the other side of the story is that some people will say, "That wasn't that bad." That happens with tropical storms and Cat Ones. They are dangerous, sure, but nothing like a four or five. I'm always afraid when someone experiences a light one and then goes and braves a horrible one.

That happened with a lot of old timers during Katrina. They figured they had made it through all the others and they could make it through that one. Especially if they made it through Camille.

That's another thing about hurricanes. The category isn't everything. It's also the size and how fast it is moving. And how much rain they bring with them. And of course, as others have said, if they spawn tornadoes it is very, very bad.

And storm surge and flooding can be massive killers.

I'm glad you mean no disrespect, OP. I know that a lot of people don't really understand what it means to be in a hurricane until they've been in one.

I was once reading a forum for vacationers in Cancun when a Cat 4 was headed right for them. This girl from California said it was fine with her because she could always go shopping and a guy from Wisconsin thought he could get some extra drinking in.

They didn't know that Mexico does not sell booze when a hurricane is approaching and that of course all the stores would be closed and boarded up.

So many people just don't understand. I often wonder if they notice the destruction on the news. We had the big housing boom right after Charley, Frances and Jeanne.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:25 PM

10 posts, read 17,273 times
no offense intended but if you stay around , coast especially, save your money for a funeral or a shrink . I am a 4th generation Floridian out of five. right now i would be a little worried about my car and my cat and if i did stay i hope i was on the 2nd floor at least. a Cat 4? ... save yer money! I by experience agree with the other post,s. you see sometimes they can be beautiful events by nature. yet they are deadly. if your locked down and unable to leave save water food and batteries stay away from the windows. do not go near water. be good!

Old 11-09-2009, 09:30 PM

oh, I forgot the tornado's... Andrew spawned at least 100 of them.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:44 PM

you will see enough in the days to come! please keep us posted. I will be in the area thursday afternoon. and checking on the internet. make ice will you can.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick flathman View Post
no offense intended but if you stay around , coast especially, save your money for a funeral or a shrink . I am a 4th generation Floridian out of five. right now i would be a little worried about my car and my cat and if i did stay i hope i was on the 2nd floor at least. a Cat 4? ... save yer money! I by experience agree with the other post,s. you see sometimes they can be beautiful events by nature. yet they are deadly. if your locked down and unable to leave save water food and batteries stay away from the windows. do not go near water. be good!
Ida is a tropical storm.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:49 PM

thank you. i am living in a 30ft winnebago, just got wifi, and I worry about people who don,t know the dangers of even a thunderstorm! see golfers. I will be near the suwanne river on interstate 10 thursday. do you remember the no name storm, wacked mannatee co & the tampa bay area good at the start of this decade? thanks for the heads up my T.V.s took a dive on me.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick flathman View Post
thank you. i am living in a 30ft winnebago, just got wifi, and I worry about people who don,t know the dangers of even a thunderstorm! see golfers. I will be near the suwanne river on interstate 10 thursday. do you remember the no name storm, wacked mannatee co & the tampa bay area good at the start of this decade? thanks for the heads up my T.V.s took a dive on me.
Good. There is no need to needlessly worry. I was in Bonita Springs at the start of the decade. I can't seem to remember the storm. I gave birth that year, so I guess I was busy!

I hope you can get your tv fixed or get a new one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida