Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 02:32 PM

24 posts, read 146,380 times

Advertisements

My husband and I were looking to move down this Spring with our two boys, Joe 17 and John 11. We were initially looking in Sarasota, actually we signed a contract to bid on a home but it looks like it has fallen through just this afternoon. I have to say after poking around on this sight I have my concerns about Sarasota!

My husband and I are 41, my husband will be doing consulting work for powerplants up and down the East Coast so we need to be within a reasonable distance from a major airport and Interstate road. I need to be near the beach, I am a wilting flower up here and I need the sun!

We would like to move to a family oriented neighborhood, mostly for my 11 year old. We live in the Central NJ and he only has a few friends within bike riding distance, so I promised him we would look for a development with kids around his age. Our 17 year old will be driving by the time we get down there so I am not as concerned about him since he will be able to take himself where ever he wants to go.

Anyway after reading about different areas in Florida, just on this message board, I am thinking Sarasota may be too "old" and too "she-she" (which I am guessing is snooty or snobby I am not sure) for us. I would like the kids to grow up in a somewhat affluent neighborhood but not at the cost of living with "not so friendly" neighbors.

I am not opposed to the East Coast, any thoughts on Vero Beach?

OK so I eagerly await your ideas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 02:47 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,029,725 times
Vero or Stuart are nice.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:46 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,542,041 times
I lived in Stuart, it is a nice area but not much to do. Try checking out Brevard County, plenty to do, shopping, restaurants, Space Center, nice beaches. As far as housing try looking on line at Florida Today newspaper to get a feel for what is available. Good luck.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:25 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
If you're going to be up and down the east coast, might as well look to the East Coast!

Look along the Treasure Coast (Stuart, Jensen Beach)... or Northern Palm Beach County (Jupiter (lots and lots of kids and family neighborhoods in an upscale setting), and Tequesta).

Old 01-29-2008, 05:43 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Try either Tri's suggestions or Denise's suggestions. Both very good. Vero Beach is also really nice, but Martin and Brevard have better schools, especially the latter.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:36 PM

2 posts, read 6,261 times
Wink New, anxious to move to FLA and confused

I have lived in the SW Florida area for the past 4 years and have many friends in Sarasota, this is what I can offer about Sarasota that you might find helpful.

Sarasota is more cultural than a lot of other Florida cities. Plays, Movies, Galleries and that sort of thing. The Beaches are second to NONE... these are the most beautiful beaches, powder white.. and cool.. which also give you an incredible tan... be careful.

As far as the people, yes... it is true lots of them are snooty but there are those types in every city.
There are a few communities within the county that are very high-end, like Long Boat Key, Siesta Key, Lido Beach and others. But there are as well other areas like Venice and North Port which are smaller less afluent but the median age there is high. YOUR KIDS WILL BE BORED. Sarasota overall is a beautiful place to live and visit but my concern with you having young kids is that the schools are not that great and that there is not that many activities for them to do. Other than water sports.

Bottom line if you do not like traffic and congestion, look for a city on the west coast. You may have to give up culture, activities and good schools.

If traffic doesn't bother you that much, then there are great places on the east coast from Weston to Palm Beach.

Hope this info helps

Old 01-29-2008, 10:23 PM

7 posts, read 68,937 times
Default Vero Beach?

I think you would love Vero Beach or Sebastian. We are a little over an hour to Orlando airport or West Palm Beach. We also have Melbourne airport close by. It has a small town feel to it, but it is large enough to have plenty of things to do. We still have 4th of July parades here. It is a great place to raise a family.

The traffic is not bad. We see a few more cars in January to May. . . but still not bad. There are plenty of parks and parking spots if you want to go to the beach. The nice thing about the island is the lack of high rise condos. Lots of old oak trees. Not sure about Brevard but Indian River County taxes are much lower than Martin County.

Brevard is too cold for me. Doesn't feel like Florida to me. It is not that far from Vero, but they get more Freezes there.

The big difference between the west coast and the east coast is the sea breeze. On the east coast, there is a constant breeze that makes the east coast feel much cooler.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:18 AM

367 posts, read 1,686,988 times
Pinellas county, has so much to offer families. Culture, some history, older developed towns with different characteristics. Good schools in various areas, great beaches, access to two major airports - St Pete/Clearwater and Tampa International. Water everywhere for boating, fishing etc etc bay and gulf. Good job opportunities overall, as there is access to the different cities of Pinellas, plus Hillsborough (Tampa and surrounds). Only 70 miles to Orlando (from the further ends of the county) much closer if you live in Tampa. Our own theme parks, Busch gdns and Adventure Island.
Theatres, concert arena, galleries, museums, botanical gardens, free outdoor activities all over the place, and more. All homes have reasonable tags attached just now too.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:20 PM

776 posts, read 1,672,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolS View Post
My husband and I were looking to move down this Spring with our two boys, Joe 17 and John 11. We were initially looking in Sarasota, actually we signed a contract to bid on a home but it looks like it has fallen through just this afternoon. I have to say after poking around on this sight I have my concerns about Sarasota!

My husband and I are 41, my husband will be doing consulting work for powerplants up and down the East Coast so we need to be within a reasonable distance from a major airport and Interstate road. I need to be near the beach, I am a wilting flower up here and I need the sun!

We would like to move to a family oriented neighborhood, mostly for my 11 year old. We live in the Central NJ and he only has a few friends within bike riding distance, so I promised him we would look for a development with kids around his age. Our 17 year old will be driving by the time we get down there so I am not as concerned about him since he will be able to take himself where ever he wants to go.

Anyway after reading about different areas in Florida, just on this message board, I am thinking Sarasota may be too "old" and too "she-she" (which I am guessing is snooty or snobby I am not sure) for us. I would like the kids to grow up in a somewhat affluent neighborhood but not at the cost of living with "not so friendly" neighbors.

Sarasota is perfect for folks in their 40's with kids making a good living already. Has the culture,affluence, great open waterfront downtown and the gulf beaches without the snobery of Naples or the congestion of Boca Raton, two other choices you should consider. You might find Vero Beach a bit older and very sleepy though for your entire family. Take the pluses and minuses you read here with a grain of salt and spend a few weekdays in any other place you might consider...

Old 02-12-2008, 07:23 PM

548 posts, read 540,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolS View Post

By all means RENT. Why on earth would you put bids in on houses in a strange area in a housing bubble collapse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida