Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 02:12 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,225,857 times

Advertisements

Ah. The REAL reason behind this bill. You can always trust our noble state legislature to find a way to aid Big Business. Besides the heat, the politics in Florida is primary in me leaving this hell hole. One of the most corrupt governmental bodies on Earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 06:40 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,401,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
It opens the doors for law suits if you are an owner. Some years ago when south Florida had all the Pit bull controversy my insurance company required me to carry an added thing on my home owners liability insurance. It was an added $300,000 in coverage. You will say, how will they know you have the dog. They don't even care, it just will give them a reason to not pay or cancel your policy if you have a claim, even if not dog related, because you lied. These kinds of knee jerk laws open up a can of worms and have many unintended consequences. That insurance by the way cost me an additional $200.00 a year just for the dog.
That's why it's best not to keep those breeds in the first place. Not every type of animal is meant to be a pet.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:20 AM

1 posts, read 808 times
can someone please explain the difference between banning a certain dog breed (aggressive) and banning muscle heads that take steroids or convicted felons?? They're both aggressive and could kill you at anytime. i have a pit in dade county that a 65lb baby. its all in how you raise them. If i raise my son to kill, he will kill. If i raise my dog to fight, he will fight. but if I raise them both with love they will love back. why not ban the police dogs. they are trained to attack on command, but no one talks about banning them. like i said, it's all about how you raise them. So the owner should be responsible for insurance and proper papers or be subject to penalty. DON'T BLAME THE DOG!!

Old 03-30-2010, 08:42 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,750,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col.W.Deering View Post
You are more than entitled to your opinion, as I am mine. We can agree to disagree. I just wanted to make people aware that our elected Florida officials are voting today on a bill that will take away citizens rights. I own a 15 lb. dog, so I would not be directly affected if the bill passed, but I wouldn't want to not have a choice in which breed I can and can't own.
I think you may have it backwards. The bill is to overturn a previous ruling that does not allow local governments to make their own laws on the matter. It does not impose a ban, it removes one placed on cities to enact their own laws. It is highly unlikely cities all over the state will all of a sudden be banning breeds of dogs but they will now have the right to do so if it passes. Isn't that what you want, not having the state telling cities what to do, less government?. Then you have the right to live in a city that reflects your own values and needs? The state will be losing some power over you and that is a good thing. You can't say you want less government control then agree with a government control just because you like it. That's the catch-22 you can't have it both ways.

Old 05-08-2010, 02:12 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,055,140 times
Thankfully it died! I'm sure it will come up again, but until then...

This is from the FLSenate.gov page:

S1276 GENERAL BILL by Hill (Identical H 0543)
Dangerous Dogs/Breed-specific Regulation [EPSC]; Eliminates the
prohibition of breed-specific local government regulation of dangerous
dogs. EFFECTIVE DATE: 07/01/2010.
01/20/10 SENATE Filed
02/03/10 SENATE Referred to Community Affairs; Agriculture; Transportation
and Economic Development Appropriations
03/01/10 SENATE On Committee agenda-- Community Affairs, 03/04/10, 1:00 pm,
412-K
03/02/10 SENATE Introduced, referred to Community Affairs; Agriculture;
Transportation and Economic Development Appropriations
-SJ 00091; On Committee agenda-- Community Affairs, 03/04/10,
1:00 pm, 412-K
03/04/10 SENATE Favorable with 1 amendment(s) by Community Affairs (183800);
YEAS 9 NAYS 2 -SJ 00188
03/05/10 SENATE Pending reference review under Rule 4.7(2) - (Amendments)
03/08/10 SENATE Now in Agriculture -SJ 00188
04/30/10 SENATE Died in Committee on Agriculture

Old 10-28-2010, 02:22 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,055,140 times
From what I received through email, looks like it's going to try to get changed again.
Florida: State senator intends to introduce BSL | Stop BSL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida