Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 03:45 PM

13 posts, read 47,340 times

Advertisements

"Floridians" are a pretty diverse group, just like "midwesterners" and "northeasterners." Individuals range from opinionated and downright bigoted to welcoming and friendly. It's tough to generalize, since so many Floridians come from points north. We moved to Broward County 4 years ago, and are getting ready to move to the Naples/Fort Myers area. My experience here has been that Florida lies somewhere between New England where I grew up (it took about a decade for us to get to know the neighbors who are very reserved) and North Carolina and the midwest (where people stop by your house the day you move in to invite you to church).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 09:34 PM

9 posts, read 53,244 times
No, it's not typical for native Floridians to complain about Midwesterners or Northeasterners. I'm actually surprised to hear that you've had that experience! I was born and raised in Florida, and where I'm from (Ft. Myers) we never complained about anyone being from somewhere else because almost everyone is from somewhere else! It's actually rare to find a native Floridian!! We like to think that all bad drivers are from "up north" ha-ha, but that's about the extent of it!!

Old 06-26-2007, 09:44 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,654,361 times
Nonsense and quite a demeaning and ignorant generalization.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:36 PM

9 posts, read 53,244 times
I'm sorry, MrTudo, that you don't know what ha-ha means.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:33 AM

10 posts, read 43,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly3120 View Post
I'm from the north and have lived here(in florida) 20 years. I don't think that is the case and if so ....just random areas of Florida.

Most Floridians I know are from the north/mid-west areas. I've met 12 true Floridians(born and raised in Florida) in my 20 years here.
We don't like snow birds in the winter because they drive slow(on vacation) and we are still trying to conduct our day to day lives. Besides that I don't think Floridians care that much about who lives here.
I am a snowbird and would like to know why you call driving on I-95 at 75 slow? If I do 85 & you promise to pay for the points,insurance it's a deal.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:35 AM

10 posts, read 43,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL-Girl View Post
No, it's not typical for native Floridians to complain about Midwesterners or Northeasterners. I'm actually surprised to hear that you've had that experience! I was born and raised in Florida, and where I'm from (Ft. Myers) we never complained about anyone being from somewhere else because almost everyone is from somewhere else! It's actually rare to find a native Floridian!! We like to think that all bad drivers are from "up north" ha-ha, but that's about the extent of it!!
Actualy all the bad drivers are in Florida. They have no idea what the thing on the left side of the steering wheel is for.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:29 PM

21 posts, read 89,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
Nonsense and quite a demeaning and ignorant generalization.
Mr. Tudo: I don't know where you live, but what the lady says is the truth whether you consider it demeaning and ignorant is irrelevant. The truth is often a difficult pill to swallow. I especially have found rudeness, agressivness and downright lack of manners or respect to be the rule rather than the exception from many people from the Northeast and I have lived here 20 years. Lighten up and you will enjoy the day a bit more.

Old 07-04-2007, 07:06 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,895,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthaboutOcala View Post
It has been my experience that the locals hate the Yankees. And yes, I have literally heard it said that way. I don't know why, I always assumed they were jealous of them. After all, people in the northeast make more money, know what culture is, and can speak proper English. Maybe that's it? I wish the locals would be more friendly; without the Yankee tourists Florida would have to pay state tax and have even less jobs opportunities then they have now. (and it is slim pickens to begin with)...
You have to understand that Florida is still a southern state, If Southerners moved up north, imagine how they would feel up there? I came from NY to FL several years ago, and I came with an attitude not to rip up the local culture, but to somewhat blend in. Although there was an anti "yankee" sentiment when I lived in Orlando area quite some years back, once the locals saw I was not looking to be hostile, or change the local way of life, it was no problem. I admit, I am in Broward now, which practically is New York, and the attitude is a little more, I guess, backwards in parts of the state, but come on, there is no need to flame the southerners, as maybe it is their culture to not speak your opinion of "proper English" and to enjoy different type of activities. Point is, yeah, there is a lot of backwards people up there who hate "yankees" for reasons that are unjustified, but ignore that bunch, and just try and embrace the local culture. Thats what I did for a while, and then the local culture changed. The change will come to Ocala after a while, too, as Ocala is still small and has yet to fully blend in with suburban Central Florida, if that is what you want. For now, don't blame the natives for all of the problems! They are different from what you are used to, but they can be friendly if you are willing to embrace. And remember, I AM one of those damn yankees!

Old 07-04-2007, 07:50 PM

398 posts, read 1,409,333 times
In my case, is not that I don't like people from the northeast. I just don't like the yankee lifestyle. Liberalism, picky sissi kind of people. But hell; between foreigners impregnating the state and Yankees, I prefer Yankees.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:54 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,136,591 times
I've been coming to Florida since the early 80's and lived on the west coast now, for 16 years...from Detroit, married a Long Islander (from when I lived in NYC) and must have been born a northeastener in a detroiter's body....my sons are first generation born Florida Crackers now living in AZ....

Florida is a melting pot of genes...get over it....and love the diversity of it!

NO, you will not find that real "NY style pizza...except maybe in the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami locale...and I know that taste...but...that's what vacations are for!

The west coast is being invaded by NYers and they're happy to be here....so what, enjoy that accent & the ability to deal with people who are used to getting things done, today!....not like the Florida timeclock....(I have to b*tch about something, right?)....

Living in Florida can either be like big city NY style or down home west virginia (jusk kidding....)....but, you deal with it....

After living here for this long, we love all kinds of people...as long as they're not tailgating us or slowing us down on the road!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida