Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2010, 09:19 PM

3 posts, read 11,764 times

Advertisements

Hello all! Hope everyone is doing well.
I am considering a move to Florida and I have a bit of a backstory so here goes: I moved to South Florida back in 2006 and lived off and on there for about 2 years. I lived in Miami, then Miami Beach, then Homestead. I really did like it down there, I especially loved the sunshine and the beaches although I did note that it was expensive to get a decent place in a decent neighborhood. At the time I was engaged, with a baby, and the 2 incomes made it possible to live nicely. However, 4 yrs later, I am in a different situation. I am now a single mom. My baby is now a 3 year old and I am back in NYC. I do not want to raise my daughter in NYC. I actually miss Florida and the only reason that I left was because my daughter's father was irresponsible. I want to move back to Florida but NOT South Florida. So here are my questions:
1. Where is it affordable for a single mom to rent? I have heard some things about north florida and the panhandle but need input in regards to the different areas.
2. Where are the good job markets for the medical field?
3. Where are the areas with the good schools?
Ideally, I would like to live in a place that has a bit of diversity and is a safe and family-oriented neighborhood where my daughter and I can feel welcome.
Thank you all soo much for reading my long story, lol and any information would be greatly appreciated!
SunLovah28
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 07:42 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,773,843 times
Your best chances for affordable housing is going to be the Panhandle. However, it may not be the best for job opportunities. Its a good thing you are in the medical field , for, that should open more doors for you hopefully. I live in Crestview, Fl. which is 45 minutes straight east of Pensacola and 45 minutes straight north of the Destin beaches . A typical 2 bedroom apartment/house in this area rents between $600-800 / mo , with a mobile home a bit cheaper . Its a family area with alot of military familes since Eglin Air Force base is closeby. I love being here from Illinois ; major highways and Interstate 10 to get you where you want to go easily, real nice big park with water on the northside of town, Walmart, Lowes, a few decent restaurants, very friendly folks, easy to make new friends, great selection of churches, and handy to explore the many beaches along the coast. In Crestview, there is the North Okaloosa Medical Center (a hospital and medical offices) and other hospitals within a 45 min. drive. Other nearby towns to consider would be Pace and Milton,Fl . P.S. We have alot of nice single parents at our large church which is Niceville Assembly of God in Niceville, Fl. on Route 85 . , and its a church that encourages getting connected with others thru a plethera of social/ family ministries -- youd be welcomed in.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:36 PM

Thanks so much for the info 007.5. It is much appreciated! :-)
Also, after more research, I am also considering the Orlando area but have heard lots of mixed reviews. I want to be able to live in a nice place, affordable with rents (between 500-700 max), within close proximity of everything but not too close to all the hustle and bustle either. I have heard some nice things about various places in and around the orlando area so any info on these areas would also be appreciated! Thanks :-)

Old 04-14-2010, 06:55 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,773,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunLovah28 View Post
Thanks so much for the info 007.5. It is much appreciated! :-)
Also, after more research, I am also considering the Orlando area but have heard lots of mixed reviews. I want to be able to live in a nice place, affordable with rents (between 500-700 max), within close proximity of everything but not too close to all the hustle and bustle either. I have heard some nice things about various places in and around the orlando area so any info on these areas would also be appreciated! Thanks :-)
Sorry, I cant tell you much about Orlando. I did pass thru it a couple weeks ago and found it too busy for my personal liking, but, im sure theres some nice suburbs of Orlando that might fit your bill. Ive also heard St. Augustine on the east side of Florida is quite nice and right on the Atlantic.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:34 PM

Thanks again 007.5! I will continue to research

Old 06-20-2011, 07:24 AM

1 posts, read 3,440 times
Hello Sunlovah28!

I was just skimming through webistes and came across your question. I wanted to know how your search was working out. I too am looking to relocate to Orlando and am in need of answers as to the best family oriented places to go. I am a single mother with a six year old son and just recently lost my job working for the City of New York. I always wanted to move to Florida and figured now is as good a time as any. I'm trying to figure out how to do all of this from New York (finding a job, etc). I went to Exit Realty website and use this for researching townhouses, apts in Florida. I have used them in the pass when I lived in Boston for a short period. Let me know how your search is working out. Maybe we can help each other.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:17 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridabound38 View Post
Hello Sunlovah28!

I was just skimming through webistes and came across your question. I wanted to know how your search was working out. I too am looking to relocate to Orlando and am in need of answers as to the best family oriented places to go. I am a single mother with a six year old son and just recently lost my job working for the City of New York. I always wanted to move to Florida and figured now is as good a time as any. I'm trying to figure out how to do all of this from New York (finding a job, etc). I went to Exit Realty website and use this for researching townhouses, apts in Florida. I have used them in the pass when I lived in Boston for a short period. Let me know how your search is working out. Maybe we can help each other.
Finding a job from afar is next to impossible with the exception of a few specific occupations. The job market in Orlando isn't very good right now (10% unemployment rate) and the available jobs tend to be low-wage service industry positions. If you're deadset upon moving here plan to have 6 months worth of living expenses in reserve. The best family areas in Orlando are those with low crime and excellent public schools. Check out the suburbs of Oviedo, Lake Mary, Heathrow, Sanford (west side), Winter Springs, Longwood (NW side) and Altamonte Springs (NW side). Good luck!

Old 06-23-2011, 01:02 AM

52 posts, read 110,274 times
Depending on what you do in the medical field, check out hospitals online and see what positions are open. Compare the pay to the cost of living, then you'll be able to figure out if it's attainable or not...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida