Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When will So. Fla real estate upswing occur?
6 mos from now 8 16.00%
1 year from now 4 8.00%
1-2 years from now 13 26.00%
greater than 2 years from now 25 50.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 01:56 PM

975 posts, read 3,732,389 times

Advertisements

Please vote for when you think this will occur
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 03:00 PM

518 posts, read 2,226,988 times
I didn't cast a vote because there are a few variables that are likely to affect the real estate market in the months to come, such as: Will we have a mild hurricane season or an active one? Will homeowners insurance rates keep rising? Will whatever property tax legislation that winds up passing (or not) make it easier for first-time home buyers, local residents who want to stay in the area but downsize, etc.?

My inclination is to say 1-2 years, but it wouldn't be a surprise if it's two years or more in Broward, especially in the condo market. Inventories are astoundingly large and it will take a while to work through that in any case.

Old 06-10-2007, 03:01 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,499,906 times
For any up swing, I think we are looking at 10+ years.

Old 06-10-2007, 03:07 PM

65 posts, read 260,081 times
10 years is depressing! I live in Broward and I am praying for two years. I agree that it is very regional. In South Florida there are jobs available, this leads to a need for housing. If the state legislature can ease our tax burden and not make it prohibitive for someone to buy a first home or become a "move-up" buyer, then I would estimate two years max for a turnaround in those areas with larger employment centers (Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville). If you own in an area more geared toward second homes and snowbirds, it will be longer.

Old 06-10-2007, 03:31 PM

30,455 posts, read 21,289,763 times
Maybe if home prices drop down 35% to 50% we would see a upswing.

Old 06-10-2007, 03:45 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,499,906 times
I think after the crash is over prices will remain flat for many many years.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:06 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,658,909 times
Depends on how many if any hurricanes make landfall .

Frankly, if even a cat 1 hurricane hits anywhere in Fla this year, we're all screwed.

What blows me away is the shoddiness of construction and the ignorance behind such construction. We were hit in the eye of Huricane Charley and "for the most part" were ok. Lost part of the roof, elec was out, fence gone, some trees snapped including parts of our giant heritage oaks in the front but were ok. See what happened in mississippi? And that was only 140mph winds. When we were looking in the Pensacola area, specifically Navarre, we were stunned by the absolute stupidity of builders like Adams homes who built these cheap frame houses ( and the stupidity of people who paid a lot of money for them ). Imagine if Katrina or another one hits there again. Bam!

At least we have a concrete block and steel house and we spent extra to reinforce the roof .

Old 06-10-2007, 04:12 PM

458 posts, read 599,587 times
The reason it is hard to start the clock is that the market has not bottomed yet. We are still a year or so away from really getting started.

We have tons of denial, dead cat bounces that will cause folks to call the markets recovery, a brief emotional uptick if they pass that tax relief fiasco, and the majority of bad loans will not reset for 12-24 months.

I think we will see very small ups and downs over the next few years. But once all these long term negative factors converge, the long term fate of most Florida real estate will be down, down, down.

My call is for 3-4-5 bedroom houses in the worst markets to be 50-70% below their peaks, when adjusted for inflation, in 10 years. Condos in the worst markets will be 60-80% below their peaks.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:15 PM

109 posts, read 393,112 times
Default Lemmings on the horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKB View Post
I think after the crash is over prices will remain flat for many many years.
SKB,

When(not if) more people start coming back to Florida than are leaving, inventories will drop and prices will climb and we will be right back where we left off in 2005,....unless Florida pulls back the reins on speculative building and stiffer rules are mandated by lending institutions. It seems the property tax issue is on track to a reasonable fix which is another important key to helping the floodgate of retirees in the future.

Florida still is the undisputed "final destination" champ of retirement states.....and retirement glory awaits 9,000 of us every single day. You can delay the Juggernaut for a couple years but any longer seems inconcevable....one man's opinion.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:25 PM

672 posts, read 906,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post
Please vote for when you think this will occur
It isn't just Florida. It is NATION wide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida