Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 08:22 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times

Advertisements

Hey look at that, I just noticed under my name it says I am a "senior member" now, does that mean I finally get the discount????....LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 08:27 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,853,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Hey look at that, I just noticed under my name it says I am a "senior member" now, does that mean I finally get the discount????....LOL
Off topic, but when I first saw that I was offended and wondered how they knew Good luck to you and Sneakers on changing food choices (frustrating to say the least) and if you get a discount I for one want to know

Old 08-16-2010, 08:33 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,699,747 times
I get to look in peoples carts all the time since I work part time as a cashier at a large grocery store. At times I learn a lot from the amazing and healthy things that people buy. My customers and I engage in discussions on healthy eating and I love this There are other times when the amount of processed foods and total crap that people buy will make you gasp in horror

Old 08-16-2010, 09:00 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,683 times
Don't make it obvious that you are looking in their cart. You might p*** someone off. They might throw a watermelon at you

Old 08-17-2010, 07:27 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,250,936 times
Quote:

Only 10% and only on Wednesdays.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:30 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,250,936 times
Quote:
I just finished cleaning out our pantry and freezer today. Sneakers was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes July 15, 2010. Had to do an immediate 500% turn around on dietary needs, what a chore that has been but we have managed, he is stable and takes one pill at the lowest dose made daily. He eats better, has lost about 10 pounds and is feeling better physically as well. It is amazing what can cause you to change everything overnight. More fresh fruits and produce now than before and less pasta and rice and beans. We still use the rice and beans more often than not but the pasta has been cut back to special occasions. No chips, or dips or dressing out of a bottle either and anything with high fructose corn syrup is out or any ingredient that ends in 'ose' or 'tol' is also out and we are moving toward gluten free as well but that will take some time.

I feel ya- my youngest child is gluten intolerant (which basically means her discomfort comes and goes, based on the amount of gluten she consumes. Unfortunately, the cut off level apparently comes and goes as well- what is okay on Monday may not be okay on Friday ) and we've overhauled the pantry, freezer and bi-monthly grocery shopping as well.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:02 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
If you looked at the contents of my cart at WinCo, you'd assume I never ate vegetables or fruit. If you did that at Food-4-Less or Stater Bros, you'd assume I was a vegetarian.

There's a reason for that...

Old 08-17-2010, 12:06 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I'm so evil..or curious..I love to peer into other people's grocery carts at the check-out.

Today the woman ahead of me, who was with her approximately 10 year-old daughter, had all items that were in a can, a box or a plastic bottle or tub.

Nary a fresh fruit or vegetable in sight--though there were some bottles of colored fluid that came in a vivid green, a blueberry blue and a bright orange.

The only protein sources were little cans of Vienna sausages.

Is this common, or is this unusual? Do most of us eat this way these days?
I think that overwhelmingly people are consuming processed goods these days. You have only to look at the grocery store shelves to see that is what they stock, ergo that is what is in demand.

Many children do not even know that the corn that comes out of the can (or freezer) actually GROWS on a corn stock in a field somewhere. They don't teach that kind of knowlege in schools these days, from what I am told.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-17-2010, 01:03 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,130,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
If you looked at the contents of my cart at WinCo, you'd assume I never ate vegetables or fruit. If you did that at Food-4-Less or Stater Bros, you'd assume I was a vegetarian.

There's a reason for that...
I wanna know which one you buy your coffee at! Wouldn't that be considered a vegetarian thing?

Old 08-17-2010, 01:06 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
I look in people's carts all the time to get ideas. Oftentimes I'll see something in someone's cart that looks good and ask them where in the store it is, or even how they go about cooking it.

I get a new, different food item... and they feel good about being the teacher. Win-win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink