Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 02:17 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
I wanna know which one you buy your coffee at! Wouldn't that be considered a vegetarian thing?
WinCo! They have a huge selection of whole beans. It's not considered vegetarian as much as it's considered satisfying a drug craving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 09:57 AM

831 posts, read 1,582,968 times
I ALWAYS look in peoples cart. I feel like i get the same things every week. I like to see what other people buy to try and get some new ideas of what I could buy the next week.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:51 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,164,518 times
My last grocery cart contained:

About 3lbs of splilt chicken breast
1lb red grapes
1 bottle of curry powder
1 bottle of white wine
1 bag of 100% whole wheat bread
1 bunch of celery
1 box of Breyers sugar free frozen yogurt
1 roll of paper towels
1 bag of Baked Lays potato chips
2 bottles of Fuze drinks

I do tend to notice people who buy a bunch of packaged foods when they are checking out ahead of me. I don't know why, though. Maybe since I enjoy cooking most things from scratch I notice it when others are taking the convenient route?

I also notice when I see something different in a cart. I may start to ask questions. I started buying a couple products from watching others and asking questions.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:57 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
I'm a former Grocery worker of many yrs and know the good and bad points of the canned or pkg goods.

Now days being by myself I've the habit of buying in the 2's.

By that I mean I will buy 2 of everything being that containers are getting smaller and I just hate to run out of catsup or Tarter sauce when having a meal.

Am retired in Mexico but do most of my shopping on both sides to help the economys.

Buy two lge pkgs of neck bones stateside ( a mexican food for many) but comment to the checker that they are for my two dogs. Sometimes I'd give them some hamburger meat. The hispanic checker just would look at me a little puzzeled.

Not every bskt tells a person what others may eat as there are probably many persons in the household so tastes will vary.

Ever notice all the stuff surounding the cashier as they are all IMPULSE items and help the bottom profit line. Once in a while some small item will land in with your groceries off the display and you end up buying a unwanted item.

Also with these plastic bags and the way they are filled I've ended up with a small item
that I never paid for (some one else did) and I've paid for something that was never found on getting home.

It's possible to return for any questionable credit but does the waste of gas warrant such a trip? A sales register receipt dated one or two weeks ago is a hard sell.

Oh well you all get my drift...am sure. Steve

Old 08-18-2010, 11:02 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,841,462 times
I often look in other people's carts or at what comes out of their cart onto the conveyor belt at the checkout. Just idle curiosity most times - it's either that or flip through the junk tabloids lol

Old 08-18-2010, 11:46 AM

839 posts, read 2,416,913 times
Well, I confess to being a shopping cart voyeur as well. I'm not judgemental, I'm just curious.

I guess my family is a little different than most in that, I the husband, do most of the grocery shopping. My wife and I were married for five years before we could go to the store without fighting. Anyway, a guy gets a little bit different treatment at the grocery store than perhaps a woman would. For example, any trip to Safeway or King's (Kroger) on a weekday morning and the store is populated almost entirely by elderly women who feel free to comment on anything. I get a kick out of them and always go out of my way to be polite and friendly to old folks, but sometimes they're just hilarious.

Some examples:

I keep two dozen hens for egg production (I live in a rural area), but due to an incident I refer to as the great chicken massacre of 2009, I had to buy eggs for a while. I had my three small daughters with me. My twin three year old girls had never seen white eggs before and were fascinated with the idea that eggs could be white and come in neat little cartons and as such, wanted to examine them. An older lady also buying eggs said to me, "Have those little girls ever had eggs before?" She also added, "I guess their mother must be sick or out of the picture".

Another time I was buying a few cans of Spam. Now, I actually like Spam as do my kids, and any parent of small children knows that if you discover something your kids will actually eat that has at least some nutritional value, you don't question it. You just ride it out. An older lady observed this and overheard my little girl exclaiming, "MEAT!" and offered,"they have lovely cookbooks for sale on aisle 2".

Mostly they're friendly and seem to be amused with the novelty of a grown man, children in tow, shopping for groceries.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:07 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,423,988 times
My last grocery trip would have made my mom proud:
1 bag organic spinach
1 bag romaine lettuce hearts
5 pound bag carrots
1 pineapple
5 lemons
3 pound bag onions
1 bottle canola oil
2 little boxes sugar free lemon pudding
1 1/2 dozen eggs
1 gal fat-free milk
3 bags whole wheat pasta
1 box Shamrock Farms ice cream sandwiches

My guilty pleasure for 2 weeks. Sue me

Old 08-18-2010, 12:58 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,270,506 times
Talking The usual stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Hey look at that, I just noticed under my name it says I am a "senior member" now, does that mean I finally get the discount????....LOL
What qualifys' as a Senior over 50 or 57 & over. were not sr's were just seasoned...LOL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenScoutII View Post
Well, I confess to being a shopping cart voyeur as well. I'm not judgemental, I'm just curious.

I guess my family is a little different than most in that, I the husband, do most of the grocery shopping. My wife and I were married for five years before we could go to the store without fighting. Anyway, a guy gets a little bit different treatment at the grocery store than perhaps a woman would. For example, any trip to Safeway or King's (Kroger) on a weekday morning and the store is populated almost entirely by elderly women who feel free to comment on anything. I get a kick out of them and always go out of my way to be polite and friendly to old folks, but sometimes they're just hilarious.

Some examples:

I keep two dozen hens for egg production (I live in a rural area), but due to an incident I refer to as the great chicken massacre of 2009, I had to buy eggs for a while. I had my three small daughters with me. My twin three year old girls had never seen white eggs before and were fascinated with the idea that eggs could be white and come in neat little cartons and as such, wanted to examine them. An older lady also buying eggs said to me, "Have those little girls ever had eggs before?" She also added, "I guess their mother must be sick or out of the picture".

Another time I was buying a few cans of Spam. Now, I actually like Spam as do my kids, and any parent of small children knows that if you discover something your kids will actually eat that has at least some nutritional value, you don't question it. You just ride it out. An older lady observed this and overheard my little girl exclaiming, "MEAT!" and offered,"they have lovely cookbooks for sale on aisle 2".

Mostly they're friendly and seem to be amused with the novelty of a grown man, children in tow, shopping for groceries.
Ever have aracanas or americanas (colored egg layers) neighbor kids always loved collecting eggs & seeing different colored eggs, blues, greens & even light pink. I have to admit...I enjoyed the colored eggs, too.

SORRY OFF SUBJECT...

I as well look into other carts, to get ideas, or ask someone what something taste like that I never have bought. I've gotten a lot of good ideas doing that.
I just get tired buying the same thing all the time.
EXCEPT FOR...................

ALWAYS buy EVERY TIME we go to store...
Mutigrain fiber crisps, by quaker "TRUE DELIGHTS". in a light blue bag.Blackberry Pomegranate are just the BEST. Hubby is so addicted to them. He takes a bag to work every day. Only 3.5 oz.
There is a blueberry type also, but we didn't care for those.
17g whole grain. GREAT FLAVOR. They are baked, crispy & great source of fiber.They are made with whole grain oats & whole grain brown rice, whole grain yellow corn Low sodium & 6g of sugar per serving.

ALSO

Always buy Kashi chewy granola bars Trail mix & Kashi Chewy Almond & flax seed granola bars.
These are great & don't raise my blood sugar. made with all really good ingred.

Skim milk
Yogurt
Bananas
Fresh fruit & veggies at a good price or I'll go to farmers market, too.
Whole grain breads. The more seeds & nuts the better
Tuna in water (whole albacore only)
Whole grain pasta

Chester cheese puff corn "ADDICTING". This is really the only snack that Hubby has to have with his sandwiches at lunch.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:11 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,164,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
My last grocery cart contained:

About 3lbs of splilt chicken breast
1lb red grapes
1 bottle of curry powder
1 bottle of white wine
1 bag of 100% whole wheat bread
1 bunch of celery
1 box of Breyers sugar free frozen yogurt
1 roll of paper towels
1 bag of Baked Lays potato chips
2 bottles of Fuze drinks

I do tend to notice people who buy a bunch of packaged foods when they are checking out ahead of me. I don't know why, though. Maybe since I enjoy cooking most things from scratch I notice it when others are taking the convenient route?

I also notice when I see something different in a cart. I may start to ask questions. I started buying a couple products from watching others and asking questions.
Oh, I just remembered.

I also bought a bag of honey roasted pecan pieces and a lemon!

Old 08-18-2010, 02:52 PM

839 posts, read 2,416,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post

Ever have aracanas or americanas (colored egg layers) neighbor kids always loved collecting eggs & seeing different colored eggs, blues, greens & even light pink. I have to admit...I enjoyed the colored eggs, too.
Yes, those are handsome birds. I had two silver Americauna hens and one rooster. Sadly, they met their demise in the great chicken massacre of 2009.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink