Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 11:18 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times

Advertisements

I've read that at the end of every 7 years, you've replaced every cell in your body. In that much time, your preferences and situation have also probably changed so you'll have acquired a taste for some new things and lost your taste for something else. If you've been working on improving your diet, you may not be able to face all the sweets and lard-soaked deep-fried stuff you ate when you were a kid. If you've moved up in the world, you're more likely to prefer chevre on multigrain water crackers to Franco-American Spaghetti.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 11:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
I happen to find it hard to believe they change every 7 years: I do know, from experience they get weaker as we age, that is probably why many of us, as adults tolerate hot spicy foods. I know I use a lot more garlic than I did even 10 years ago.

Old 09-19-2016, 02:02 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,391,598 times
over time people may not like the same clothing, colors, house decorating...in other words their tastes change. Coffee still tastes like coffee, salt is still salty and peppermint is still the same etc, Dry mouth can affect taste. Also just like our eyes and muscles don't work as well at 70 as they did at 20, neither do our taste buds work as well. Apparently neither does our sense of smell judging from how much perfume some people wear

Old 09-19-2016, 08:23 PM

17,596 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
over time people may not like the same clothing, colors, house decorating...in other words their tastes change. Coffee still tastes like coffee, salt is still salty and peppermint is still the same etc, Dry mouth can affect taste. Also just like our eyes and muscles don't work as well at 70 as they did at 20, neither do our taste buds work as well. Apparently neither does our sense of smell judging from how much perfume some people wear
Smell is probably the reason for decreasing taste. Alot of 'taste' is actually smell.

Old 09-19-2016, 10:35 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,537,247 times
I remember when I suddenly went from hating mustard to loving it. And enjoying cheese in general. The change seemed to come out of the left. I can't, however, remember if that was just because I was being deliberately obtuse in regards to trying these foods, or if I actually knew that I hated them from experience.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:45 AM

3 posts, read 1,537 times
I never noticed this, I can go from loving one thing to just hating it in like days, weeks or months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink