Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 05:28 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,797,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Pasta salad
Fruit salad
Maccaroni salad
Potato salad
Garden salad
Watermelon
BBq chicken
Hotdogs
Hamburgers
Grilled hattock
Grilled flounder
Oysters
Corn on the cob
Shiccabobs
Devil eggs
Chips
Pretzels
Strawberry cake
Upside down pineapple cake
Jello
Wine coolers
Beer
Mixed frozen drinks
Soda
Water

(I love picnic food! )
Big family or block party?? We're having grilled chicken, baked beans, cornbread salad, fiesta corn dip...couple other things my sister is making, not sure what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 06:39 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
potato salad is that popular that most make this??

i never acquired a taste for this,,,right up there with bake beans, tripe, and blood sausage,,,

Old 07-03-2013, 06:46 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,669,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
potato salad is that popular that most make this??

i never acquired a taste for this,,,right up there with bake beans, tripe, and blood sausage,,,
Yes, potato salad is quite popular around here for picnics, etc.

Whats blood sausage?

Old 07-03-2013, 10:49 PM

We used to have potato salad. My mom made the best mustard potato salad. It is one of those things that nobody makes "like mom"! Sadly, she is now to feeble to make it anymore so we don't have it as often at our family gatherings. We did get the cornbread salad (which is really easy and yummy) made tonight and it is now chilling. Potato salad and cornbread salad are southern traditions, at least here in central Texas.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post

Whats blood sausage?
I wondered as well what blood sausage was. Must not be a southern thing!

Old 07-03-2013, 11:13 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Lettuce wedge salad, including the kitchen sink.
It is just my husband and myself and we each take a lettuce wedge (1/4 lettuce head) and slice it up and add whatever we want to it. Individual salads that are our own creation.

I like to add shredded carrot, craisins or raisins, cucumber, tomato, green onion and Ken's Walnut raspberry dressing.

Hubby starts off with mushrooms, many different nuts, dried cherries, cucumber, green onions, turkey meat circles, and ranch dressing.

Apple and Cherry pie choices with coffee for me and cola for him.

And later in the day, fillet of flounder, hushpuppies, and coleslaw.
I might make some green beans to go with that and we always have cucumbers and tomatoes and onions with the green beans.

Lemonade to drink of course. Some people like Iced Tea but we prefer lemonade.

We are probably not having it tomorrow but something else that is good is a medley of vegetables baked in the oven. I buy them at Sam's frozen and put them straight in the oven in a 9 x 13 pan for somewhere between 30 to 45 minutes at 400 degrees with 2 T. of canola oil sprinkled over the top of them. Some people add flavorings but I prefer them plain. One friend always uses poultry seasoning.

I cut potatoes into 8 wedges each and make potato wedges in the oven just like the vegetables. Better than any French fry I have ever had. 2 T. canola oil sprinkled over the top and bake in the oven for 30 minutes at 400 degrees.

Another good vegetable choice is to stir-fry whole frozen green beans with sliced onions and about 2 T. canola oil in the bottom of the wok. Hubby does not like the stir-fry so I will fix regular green beans on the Fourth.

Oh how I wish I had a watermelon. I love watermelon. I could just eat nothing else all day. LOL

Last edited by NCN; 07-03-2013 at 11:25 PM..

Old 07-04-2013, 01:04 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
It's late and I just finished pulling the BBQ pork butts that have been cooking all day. Nice dark bark and a thick cherry-red smoke ring - I did have to sample a bit as I was pulling it to make sure everything was okay .

BTW, a bit of a hint regarding pulling a pork butt - wrap it in foil and make sure it has cooled sufficiently before pulling it. If you pull it while it's hot it'll "steam-out" and lose some of the moisture in the meat, making it drier than you were expecting. I did this in my learning days and ended-up with some dry BBQ.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:07 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
I just pulled t whole pork loins out of the freezer. Skillet fired corn with a tough of hot pepper that we grew in pots for flavor. Fresh tomatoes. Fresh strawberries and real whipped cream for dessert. Maybe even a slice of pound cake under the berries.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post

Whats blood sausage?
from wiki

Black pudding, blood pudding or blood sausage is a type of sausage made by cooking blood or dried blood with a filler until it is thick enough to congeal when cooled. The dish exists in various cultures from Asia to Europe and the Americas. Pig, cattle, sheep, duck, and goat blood can be used depending on different countries.

In Europe and the Americas, typical fillers include meat, fat, suet, bread, cornmeal, sweet potato,[citation needed] onion, chestnuts, barley, and oatmeal. In Spain, Portugal and Asia, potato is often replaced by rice

this isnt a popular sausage up here,,but it is still sold in some areas,,, areas with french canadien roots

i have a pretty high tolerance(not squeamish) but this stuff...is awful looking stuff-ive tried it a few times...just couldnt finish a piece

Old 07-04-2013, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
It's late and I just finished pulling the BBQ pork butts that have been cooking all day. Nice dark bark and a thick cherry-red smoke ring - I did have to sample a bit as I was pulling it to make sure everything was okay .

BTW, a bit of a hint regarding pulling a pork butt - wrap it in foil and make sure it has cooled sufficiently before pulling it. If you pull it while it's hot it'll "steam-out" and lose some of the moisture in the meat, making it drier than you were expecting. I did this in my learning days and ended-up with some dry BBQ.
this sounds good!!!

show some pics!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink