Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 03:53 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,123,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
If you have an iPhone there is actually a Crock Pot app!
Dang...there is apps for everything and anything now.
What about the Android?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I call the Crockpot my wife.

She cooks all day, never complains, and I can put her up when I'm done with her and she is fine with that.

Low heat for 8 hours at work, when you get home from work, supper is done.

Just mix and match and try different seasoning and herbs, and meats, and whatever. Thats half the fun of cooking
I love your wife/crockpot analogy!

I worry about leaving the crockpot on at home while I go to work; should I worry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 04:35 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,088,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post

I worry about leaving the crockpot on at home while I go to work; should I worry?
Yes great analogy I have my crockpot going all the time when I am not home and I even had it on all one evening was I was sleeping.

Since the OP posted - I have made chicken soup in it twice (great for the poached chicken and chicken stock/soup).

To the OP for chicken soup: I put in 3 stalks of chopped celery, an onion and 3 chopped carrots. All the vegetables are fairly large as you are just using it for it's flavor. You can add whatever vegetables you like such as turnips or more vegetables. I rinse a chicken and put it in the crock. If you have some extra chicken bones - put them in too. Do not put in the liver or the gizzard. The liver will make it bitter if you cook it that long.

Cover the chicken with cold water. I also add 2 bay leaves and a small amount of salt and pepper to start. You can always add more salt and pepper, which I usually do. Cook on low for about 6 hours. You have a wonderful chicken soup and a poached chicken after wards

Old 12-07-2010, 04:41 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,514,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Dang...there is apps for everything and anything now.
What about the Android?

No I used to do it all the time. I just put everything in the crockpot and turn it on low and by the time I got home dinner was ready. I was usually gone for 9 hrs. Just make sure the dish has enough liquid on it or it may cook dry and end up burned.

Last edited by tookey; 12-07-2010 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: added to post

Old 12-08-2010, 06:38 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,123,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
Yes great analogy I have my crockpot going all the time when I am not home and I even had it on all one evening was I was sleeping.
Good to know George; thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tookey View Post
No I used to do it all the time. I just put everything in the crockpot and turn it on low and by the time I got home dinner was ready. I was usually gone for 9 hrs. Just make sure the dish has enough liquid on it or it may cook dry and end up burned.
Enough liquid to prevent food from getting burned, got it!

Old 12-08-2010, 06:45 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
this morning i threw in a beef shoulder roast, with a white onion, some savoy cabbage, yukon gold potatoes, and carrots.

a really good idea is to add some condensed golden mushroom soup ... i didn't have any on hand, so i threw in some paprika, salt, and pepper, with a little garlic powder.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:27 AM

527 posts, read 1,020,058 times
thanks everyone! so far I made: Pot Roast,& Pulled BBQ Pork- Came delicious! This morning I am doing Georges' Chicken soup (thanks) - This is a great time saver for during the week while I am at Work- I can save my "heavy" cooking for the weekends now when I have the time
thanks again everyone- Keep em coming!

Old 12-08-2010, 08:08 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,271,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
I have one crockpot that is very, very old (late 70's) and it still works great. Then I have a new, larger crockpot that is less than two years old.

Has anyone noticed that on the newer crockpots, even the LOW setting seems to cook at a higher temperature? I've frequently had to adjust the cooking times because even at LOW setting, the food either boils or burns if I leave it for the amount of time directed in the recipe. Anyone else noticed this, or did I just buy a freaky crockpot? It's a well known brand, but it's a much larger capacity than my old one.
YES... I noticed that, too. My old crock from late 70's doesn't get hot on the outside...not like the newer crocks. You can't even touch the newer crocks. I still use my old one, even tho the crock doesn't come out & it's heavier, I still like it.

The heat is hotter than the older crocks. I have to adjust the heat also.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
Don't forget the crock pot when thinking of breakfast. One of my fav breakfasts to make in winter is oatmeal. I prepare it before bed and wake up to a bowl of delicious, hot oatmeal and a kitchen which smells wonderful

1 cup steel cut oats (NOT instant or regular oats. You can buy steel cut in health food markets. I buy mine at Sprouts. They're very inexpensive there.)
1 cup raisins or dried cranberries
4 cups water
1/2 cup milk or half-n-half
powdered cinnamon - optional (I use this with raisins, but not cranberries.)

Combine all ingredients in the crockpot, cover, turn on low and cook 8 hours.

Note: It's okay to leave it on for 9 hours, BUT the sides will start to scorch a bit. It will still taste good, but not look as attractive, and the pot will be more difficult to clean afterwards.

If it's a little less than 8 hours and you're ready to eat, (and the oatmeal is still a bit thin), just up the heat to high for a short period.

Edited to add: Leftovers refrigerate well and require only a quick reheating in the microwave.
OMG... I didn't even think of making the Irish oatmea/steel cut like that.
Thank you...thank you... thank you...
That's the only bad thing about this type of oatmeal is standing there stirring constantly. THANK YOU.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinyc View Post
thanks everyone! so far I made: Pot Roast,& Pulled BBQ Pork- Came delicious! This morning I am doing Georges' Chicken soup (thanks) - This is a great time saver for during the week while I am at Work- I can save my "heavy" cooking for the weekends now when I have the time
thanks again everyone- Keep em coming!
Hers another great recipe callled...

TO DIE FOR CROCKPOT ROAST

1 beef roast, any cut
1 pkg. dry brown gravy mix
1 pkg. dry italian dressing mix
1/2 pkg. dry ranch dressing mix (recipe calls for 1 pkg. but too salty for us)
1/2 cup water

Spray crock pot with Pam.
Put roast inside.
Mix dry mixes in small bowl, sprinkle over roast. Pour water at edge of crock pot, so you don't wash the dry mix off of roast.
Cook on low 7-9 hours, or to your desired tenderness.

Doesn't get easier than that

Old 12-08-2010, 04:34 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tookey View Post
Good advice. my roast this evening came out dry and the cabbage a bit burned. low for 8 hours, and i put the veggies on the bottom. not my best effort!

i think i should've put the meat on the bottom, veggies on top, and liquid about halfway up the roast.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:51 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,225,324 times
I never add that much liquid, especially for beef, since the beef will make juice on its own. I only add a can or two of beef broth, if I add any liquid at all, or a cup or so of water if I am using dry soup mix. I put the meat at the bottom and throw the veggies right on top. If I do add broth, I pour that on top of it all. (The broth will spill down.)

Old 12-08-2010, 06:44 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,514,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Good advice. my roast this evening came out dry and the cabbage a bit burned. low for 8 hours, and i put the veggies on the bottom. not my best effort!

i think i should've put the meat on the bottom, veggies on top, and liquid about halfway up the roast.
Did you put any broth or liquid in before you started the crock? I always add a can of beef broth when I am cooking roast. I have always put the veggies on the bottom then the meat. I suppose either way is ok but that is the way I have always done it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink