Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 10:02 AM

509 posts, read 1,167,747 times

Advertisements

Alright, so I really like buffalo chicken dip. I would like to make a great tasting version that:
1.)Does not use off the shelf, soybean oil based dressings. Lower fat would be great.
2.)Does not use shredded cheese. I want it to taste like buffalo wings, and I ain't never had buffalo wings with cheese on 'em.
3.)I am also trying not to include cream cheese because of the fat factor.

I was thinking about getting a medium tub of light sour cream and mixing a hidden valley ranch packet for ranch. We use this for veggie dipping and salads; it is definitely preferable to "bottle ranch". I am not sure about the properties of sour cream when put into the oven though.

I am definitely going to get a store bought, cheap rotisserie chicken, deskin and debone it and chop that up for the meat. I am thinking this will be 5 to 10 times better than canned chicken.

I recently aquired a bottle of Frank's Red Hot - Extra Hot, which I am excited about being able to use. I can drink regular Frank's.

I am on the fence about including blue/bleu cheese crumbles. I love the stuff, but not everyone else does. I am also not sure whether I should mix it up with the other ingredients or to put it on top. Again, not sure what will happen while baking.

Maybe I should just make it a cold dip.

So yeah, if anyone else has some other ideas or suggestions, please share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 10:10 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,552,263 times
I don't think I'd mix ranch and bleu cheese. I'd go with one or the other.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:29 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
You could try yogurt -- especially the thicker Greek yogurt -- as a base instead of sour cream. I don't know what that cooks up like, either; I'm not much for hot dips.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:56 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,293,349 times
True, original buffalo wings with the sauce you dip in it is BLUE CHEESE, not ranch.
And low-er fat? I can't imagine.
True ranch is made with buttermilk, not sour cream, which is not non-fat also, although they do have lo-fat, I believe. Blue cheese is made of cheese!, and other kinds of dairy &/or mayo, etc. How can you expect good results by subbing what works? JMO though.
If people are worried about calories, I suggest eating, or dipping less. ("Everything is moderation.")
Why ruin a good thing? Sorry, I just get upset with folks who try to re-invent the wheel.
(unless it's for diatary restrictions that limit almost everything)

Old 12-02-2010, 11:57 AM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Try that:
3 x 7 oz pouches Tyson premium chunk chicken breast ( is 97% fat free)
or 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, boiled and shredded
2 x 8 oz packages low fat or fat free cream cheese, softened
1 cup low fat Ranch dressing OR blue cheese
3/4 cup pepper sauce (such as Frank's Red Hot®)
1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded Mozarella cheese

Heat chicken and hot sauce in a skillet over medium heat, until heated through.
Stir in cream cheese and ranch dressing.
Cook, stirring until well blended and warm.
Mix in half of the shredded cheese, and transfer the mixture to a slow cooker.
Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top, cover, and cook on Low setting until hot and bubbly. Serve with celery sticks and/or low fat crackers.
Enjoy!

Old 12-02-2010, 12:06 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,163,942 times
I'd use real bleu cheese, a quality bleu cheese dressing, shredded chicken, and buffalo sauce.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:22 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
Low-fat sour cream is good, but all non-fat dairy products are nasty to me.. ditto on bottled ranch dressings, especially the low and non-fat versions full of weird ingredients. I don't think this is a dip that would submit well to a defatting, personally. I use drained (greek) yogurt all the time as a sour cream sub, but I'm not crazy about the texture of cooked yogurt..

Old 12-02-2010, 12:35 PM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times
^^^ I agree - the fat free stuff is full of chemicals and that affects the taste. Low fat is bearable.
You can stretch it with low fat sour cream...

Old 12-03-2010, 10:26 AM

52 posts, read 96,724 times
OP: Are you concerned with the calories in the fatted dressings/dips or are you worried about the fat itself? Fat is still a nutrient and important in one's diet (9kcals per gram but carries flavors and fat soluble vitamins such as A, D, E & K among other things). I agree with B4U and elnina speaks truthfully: low-fat/no-fat products contain undesirable substitutes to maintain mouthfeel and flavor and many are not low in calories. Managing calories without risking the intake and absorption of important nutrition is a better method IMO.

I enjoy both ranch and bleu cheese with my wings.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:40 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,049,743 times
Well, you have eliminated all the things that defines a Buffalo Chicken Dip and makes it tasty. If you take out the shredded cheese, blue cheese crumbles, cream cheese and won't go with a reduced fat blue cheese bottled dressing - well you have eliminted most of the ingredients that make a dip actually taste good (if it doesn't taste good, what is the point?). Buffalo Chicken dip has cheese in it - that is what makes it dippy, rich, cheesy and delicious. The blue cheese crumbles make the dip in my opinion. So, I guess you are going to have to decide if you actually want to serve Buffalo Chicken Dip or something else - because what you are describing is not Buffalo Chicken dip. By the way, I've made the dip with canned chicken breast meat and with a barbecued chicken from the market - they both are equally delicious and using the canned chicken is much easier and cheaper than buying a whole chicken.

Here is a recipe for homemade low fat blue cheese dressing followed by a recipe for Buffalo Chiken Dip:

Low Fat Blue Cheese Salad Dressing

1 cup (8 ounces) fat-free cottage cheese
1 cup (8 ounces) nonfat plain yogurt
2 tablespoons chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
3 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese

Directions
•In a blender or food processor, combine cottage cheese, yogurt, onion
and garlic; process until smooth. Stir in blue cheese. Store,
covered, in the refrigerator. Yield: 1-3/4 cups.

Buffalo Chicken Dip

Ingredients:

1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup blue cheese salad dressing
1/2 cup any flavor Frank's® RedHot® Sauce
2 ounce crumbled blue cheese or shredded part skim mozzarella cheese (about 1/2 cup)
2 cans (9.75 ounces each) Swanson® Premium White Chunk Chicken Breast in Water, drained
Assorted fresh vegetables and Pepperidge Farm® crackers

Directions:

Heat the oven to 350°F.

Stir the cream cheese in a 9-inch deep dish pie plate with a fork or whisk until it's smooth. Stir in the dressing, hot sauce and blue cheese. Stir in the chicken.
Bake for 20 minutes or until the chicken mixture is hot and bubbling. Stir the chicken mixture before serving. Serve with the vegetables and crackers for dipping.

To make in the microwave: Use a microwavable 9-inch deep dish pie plate. Prepare the dip as directed above in Step 2. Microwave, uncovered, on HIGH for 5 minutes or until the chicken mixture is hot, stirring halfway through the cook time.

Serving Tip: This dip can be kept warm in a small crockpot or fondue pot on the buffet table.

Last edited by Cattknap; 12-04-2010 at 05:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink