Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I cook at home because
My parents did so 19 17.12%
My spouse parents did so 5 4.50%
I enjoy cooking and want eat healthier 75 67.57%
I don't enjoy it, but my family expect me to do so 1 0.90%
I cook when I feel like 25 22.52%
I/spouse cook only on weekends/holidays/special occasions 1 0.90%
I don't cook but my spouse does 0 0%
I hate cooking but do it for economic reasons 6 5.41%
I would love to cook, but don't know how 1 0.90%
We don't cook at home 1 0.90%
Other 15 13.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 07:57 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I cook because I can't afford to go out to a decent restaurant every night ! I think I am a reasonable cook ( nothing Fancy though) but I LOATHE cooking. Hubby works and I don't so I see it as only fair to cook. I take no pleasure in it.

If I ever win the lottery I shall never step foot in the kitchen ever again , except to get snacks and drinks. I hate the thinking out my menu, I hate shopping for it, prepping for it, cooking it and worse of all cleaning after it.

I would be quite happy eating out every single meal. Then again I would have no problem not having a house either and simply traveling around forever.
The rule in my house is that the person who cooks gets to enjoy not having to clean the kitchen!

As I'm self employed and work from home I usually cook...and very seldom clean the kitchen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 08:34 PM

15 posts, read 29,245 times
I love cook by myself, it is totally free for me to make all kinds of delicious meals.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:10 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,172 times
I cook at home because I like to know what is in my food, and it is cheaper than eating out. I have not ate out for over 4 months.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:27 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
So is the way to this woman's heart !
heh
I have three different sets of friends who have an interesting set-up.
One couple each cooks their own dinner every night. She just likes different food and decided that since they both work every day, why should she cook for both of them?

Two other couples have switched roles in the kitchen. Now both retired, the husbands have taken on all the cooking, and enjoy it every much.

I chose the "enjoy it and it's healthy" reason, but I think I also cook because that's what my parents did. We did not eat out a whole lot as kids, and that is still true today. When we do go out, I always begin calculating how I would make my dish, and how much it would cost. We do go out sometimes though because it is a treat for my husband to eat different foods and a treat for me to not be stuck with cleanup. Yes, I cook *and* clean, though the husband has come a long way and does help a bit now.

My older son has become very handy in the kitchen. We don't get to see him that much, but when we do, there is always a delicious home-cooked meal.
Younger son has a long ways to go but is learning, and certainly appreciates fresh, healthy ingredients.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:27 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
heh
I have three different sets of friends who have an interesting set-up.
One couple each cooks their own dinner every night. She just likes different food and decided that since they both work every day, why should she cook for both of them?

Two other couples have switched roles in the kitchen. Now both retired, the husbands have taken on all the cooking, and enjoy it every much.

I chose the "enjoy it and it's healthy" reason, but I think I also cook because that's what my parents did. We did not eat out a whole lot as kids, and that is still true today. When we do go out, I always begin calculating how I would make my dish, and how much it would cost. We do go out sometimes though because it is a treat for my husband to eat different foods and a treat for me to not be stuck with cleanup. Yes, I cook *and* clean, though the husband has come a long way and does help a bit now.

My older son has become very handy in the kitchen. We don't get to see him that much, but when we do, there is always a delicious home-cooked meal.
Younger son has a long ways to go but is learning, and certainly appreciates fresh, healthy ingredients.

Your food always sounds yummy so when Hubby gets a Job down your way I shall pop in on a regular basis for a healthy and lovely meal !! Your Pesto certainly sounds gorgeous...

I was surrounded by Great cooks in my family , My Great-Aunt now 90 still cooks like a pro ( and can make anything taste good pretty much )and my Step-Mother was brilliant in the kitchen too though she too hated it. My Grand-Mother wasn't too much into cooking but what she did she did exceedingly well. I was also lucky as you know to travel around the world since babyhood and to have been taken to restaurants all over since I was a Tot.

I love eating out and would much rather be dining in a restaurant than at home. Sadly a lot of restaurants disappoint but I am still going to try and find the great ones ! I really get no pleasure out of the cooking process and I have noticed that when I have slaved over a hot cooker I usually have no taste for the food I cook. Hubby will say something complimentary and I shrug thinking how much better it would be if we were out !

I have never been terribly domesticated , the house is spotless because I am slightly OCD , the food I cook is usually perfectly nice but I just do not enjoy either cleaning or cooking in the slightest which usually seems to surprise people. To me they are chores which must be done. Nothing pleasant about it, I just buckle down and do them.

A lot of people seem to find cooking ( or things like gardening) therapeutic, to me it is incomprehensible when I all I want to do is get out of the house, go to the theatre, cinema, restaurants and travel. Being at home bores me silly. I feel trapped there. In fact I am trapped there.

I basically cook because I like good food and at least cooking at home as I cannot afford to eat out every meal means I can control the ingredients and the provenance of the meat, fish etc... I am not into fast food ( I will eat it if it is the only practical option but take no pleasure in it)so cooking remains the only way to eat something decent without having to spend a fortune.

Though I have often noticed that it can cost me far more to cook something than to buy it ready made. Hubby will often joke that things like my Quiches are worth their weight in gold as I will use Pancetta, decent Emmental from the deli, free range eggs etc...

We are lucky to have an excellent supermarket called "Waitrose" which as a close to a French supermarket as you can get in the UK , with great produce, and a good ethical and environmental policy as well as high quality ready meals so I often will buy ready meals which to be honest are cheaper than me having to cook and delicious. They do meals which could beat quite a few restaurants in a taste challenge.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:07 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,424,323 times
I love to cook, I do like to go out and get things I would not or cant cook at home myself, like Chineese.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:47 AM

726 posts, read 1,229,381 times
Cooking is the only art form that engages all the 5 senses. I love to cook and perfer cooking at home to going out to eat. I can always make it better and healthier.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:54 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
1. It's less expensive than eating out, especially with three children.
2. It's healthier. I control the portions and what goes in our food.
3. I am a better cook than most restaurants we would go to. Those that we really enjoy are pricey and reserved for special treats (although, like others have said, we do like Chinese food, sushi, etc. and eat those occasionally).
4. I like to cook.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:06 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,131,539 times
I enjoy cooking, and grew up with good food (cooked by my dad )

The past couple years my hubby and I had gotten into a bad habit of eating out a LOT - it was fun living like we were on vacation all the time! However, it was getting VERY expensive and plus, I wanted to eat healthier. So at the beginning of 2010 I vowed to cook more meals at home, and budget better, which I have done. Honestly, most of what I cook at home tastes better than the expensive meal out, plus I know the quality and ingredients in it. We go out once a week now, just to give me a break and have some fun; and like others, I tend to want things I can't or don't cook at home.

Bottom line, I am enjoying cooking and planning my meals, and actually have a lot of fun doing my grocery shopping, which is something I thought I would never enjoy.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:50 AM

727 posts, read 540,327 times
I cook I like to eat the best
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink