Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 08:00 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,294,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I'm always annoyed when people I know who are Italian say they have a "Feast of the Seven Fishes" and they have almost all non-fish forms of seafood.

Crabs, shrimp are crustaceans, a form of arthropod, not fish.

Mussels, clams, and calamari/squid are moluscs, not fish.

Fish are vertebrates (simply, they have a spine), a subcategory of chordates (put simply, things with spinal cords).

At best, a "Feast of the Seven Fishes" often contains maybe one actual fish, and all the rest are other kinds of seafood.

I always try to point this out, that their tradition it hopelessly misnamed. (Yes, I'm probably a pain in the --- like that, but I can't help myself when people are WRONG).

They argue and argue saying that "shellfish" are fish. Sorry, they're not. Take a freaking 8th grade biology class sometime.

I'm all about wonderful traditions, but I hate stupid errors that people refuse to correct.

I'd prefer a "feast of the seven vodkas" anyway.
Be annoyed. Who cares. All of a sudden you come out of nowhere and tell me what's right and wrong. You're probably not even celebrating "the 7 fishes", or even italian. But "whatever".
I defy you wouldn't eat at our table on Christmas eve - on principle- your loss. More for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 03:16 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
I'm always annoyed when people I know who are Italian say they have a "Feast of the Seven Fishes" and they have almost all non-fish forms of seafood.

Fish are vertebrates (simply, they have a spine), a subcategory of chordates (put simply, things with spinal cords).

At best, a "Feast of the Seven Fishes" often contains maybe one actual fish, and all the rest are other kinds of seafood.

I always try to point this out, that their tradition it hopelessly misnamed. (Yes, I'm probably a pain in the --- like that, but I can't help myself when people are WRONG).

They argue and argue saying that "shellfish" are fish. Sorry, they're not. Take a freaking 8th grade biology class sometime.

I'm all about wonderful traditions, but I hate stupid errors that people refuse to correct.

haha
Okay, how about The Feast of the Seven Forms of Marine Life?

Old 12-21-2010, 07:29 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:

WOWZA....who cares what they call it ........

Old 12-21-2010, 09:35 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,209,594 times
Been having lasagna for years but we are changing it this year.
Ham, tamales, and queso YUMMO!!

Old 12-21-2010, 10:56 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,641,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nan5623 View Post
Nope, I'm busy doing last minute things for Christmas day. I might have a beer, but that'll be it.
For some reason I love this response, it is so honest and practical.

I was thinking of having a couple of Long Island Ice Tea's and some cheese and crackers myself.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:00 PM

527 posts, read 1,020,058 times
Quote:

Wow- ANYWAY- The point is us Italians normally do "seafood" on christmas eve - We eat seafood, fish, shellfish etc.
Our bacalla salad probably has 5 out of the 7 "real" fish in it anyways,
And it is one hell of a feast

Old 12-21-2010, 07:49 PM

26 posts, read 81,177 times
i am mexican we always have tamales

Old 12-23-2010, 04:23 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,294,996 times
Looks like aardvarks missed this MORE CURRENT (2010) thread, and posted in 2009. ???

Last edited by B4U; 12-23-2010 at 04:37 AM..

Old 12-23-2010, 09:18 AM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,143,707 times
We have a huge turkey dinner over nephews house.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:27 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,945,470 times
We always have a ton of appetizers (shrimp cocktail, spinach and artichoke dip, crab dip, vegetable tray, etc.) and all-you-can eat King Crab Legs for the main event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink