Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 09:13 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this is too off topic, but what is a considered a decent tip for delivery drivers? Is it a percent of the total or flat dollar amount?

Old 02-20-2012, 09:40 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I don't know if this is too off topic, but what is a considered a decent tip for delivery drivers? Is it a percent of the total or flat dollar amount?
$5 is the gold standard (for an average order), anything $3+ is still decent, $2.80 was sadly about average.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:19 AM

3,320 posts, read 4,129,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
This must be store-specific, because where I worked, hood deliveries went to all drivers -- not to mention, in my experience tips evened out, there were stiffers in good areas, and $5 spots in bad areas. IMO lower-middle class people tipped the best.

Much of the time, drivers were in charge of dispatching themselves. Some would abuse the system and take runs to addresses that they knew tipped well, and/or would take runs with the guaranteed tips already prepaid via credit card.

Well, I have to admit that not all the hood runs were passed off to the guys all the time, but it happened a lot, especially when the orders were phoned in at about the same time so it wasn't so obvious. Other times it was very obvious. The way it's supposed to work, is the pizza's are made in the order recieved, and delivered by the driver that has been waiting in the store the longest time. When it does not happen that way, it can get ugly. You cannot have drivers routing their own runs, especially durring evening rush. Usually the volume is small enough that it's easy to determine who delivers what. But when a flood of pies are stacking up, the manager (one that knows the delivery area very well) must moderate the process. Drivers compete with each other to get the most deliveries, and they fight with each other when they think their getting hosed.

Low volume stores have low ambition drivers that have no incentive to get back to the store as fast as they can, to deliver another pizza that probably won't be there, especially if they know there's no other runs up for delivery, or other drivers out on the road to compete with. A high volume store is a drivers shark fest, and I was the shark that paid off his small house, his beautiful new ford festiva, and all his speeding tickets while the other fishes could barely keep their old junkers running. I could get up 5 flights of stairs in 15 seconds to get that hood rat his pizza, so I could get on to my next delivery and back to the store for more. Some of my best nights I would push 60 or 70 deliveries and sell close to $ 1000 worth of pizza. If the owner was smart he would pay me a little better and not try that galley slave routine on me. If he was dumb, I would take my smiling face and as many of his customers as I could to another pizza store and try as best as I could to destroy his business, by building up the other guys business.

Ah, those were the good old days of the 30 minute gaurantee, the big snow storms that eliminated all my driving competition, the action and adventure of not knowing what the night would bring. Blasting those tunes and smoking 2 packs of cigarettes every day, with foot to the floor and back for more. I miss the life, but I won't play without the pay.

Your right about lower middle class people being good tippers, but you're wrong if you think they will balance out a poor neighborhood against a rich one in the tip department. What would get my goat, is delivering to waiters, ex pizza delivery drivers, strippers ect. where I knew they once worked for tips, or were just getting off work from their tipping job, or in the case of the strippers, just got off the pole with a wad of cash to come pay me for the pizza they ordered..........and then NOT tip me !

Old 02-21-2012, 05:52 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
Round Table's a mere 1.8 miles away from me, via low-traffic tertiary streets. Can't imagine having it delivered, as long as my car and truck are running at least.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:36 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,859,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
Just another charge we take lying down as the middle class gets raped.
Huh? Was there some law passed requiring you to order pizza and only have it delivered every week?

Or is this a volunatry rape??

Old 02-23-2012, 02:55 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,474,103 times
To avoid the delivery charge, I'll instead pick up the pizza if we order from a chain. We normally like getting take-out pizza from the local mom & pop store though, but it's farther out than a Domino's that is within walking distance. Even so, we will order 9 times out of 10 at the local place. Delivery charge is some profit for the restaurant, and maybe mileage reimbursement but that's been answered already.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:59 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
I can only figure it as a scam to pump up profits.

If the driver does not get it, but the driver has to pay for his/her own gas.......well, the money must go to the company.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:38 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,423,548 times
Just this second on the phone with Pizza Hut..

Drivers punch in as Minimun wage employees, whatever it may be in your state.
They make boxes...so on and so forth..

When they have to leave on a delivery they have to go on a server type of payscale.
The tips..they keep to cover the gas (has to be a no money maker anymore)

It's all about the high price of insuance and 9.99 for 2 pizzas

http://www.change.org/petitions/domi...very-guarantee

Last edited by Caligula1; 02-25-2012 at 02:51 PM..

Old 01-05-2013, 09:54 PM

2 posts, read 3,071 times
I work at a small pizza place and they have a $2 delivery charge that does go towards the driver i dont know if that goes for papa johns and dominos but it does where i work. maybe the artice u read was not true and was just trying to make some bs point that they feel is nessecary

Old 01-05-2013, 09:58 PM

2 posts, read 3,071 times
wrong as wrong can be. i work at a pizza place and the drivers just grab as many pizzas as they can and go. i have friends who work at other pizza places and they said they dont do it that way either and they work for big name pizza places
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink