Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2011, 06:06 PM

4,739 posts, read 8,377,609 times

Advertisements

I have just recently gotten back into this, in 1973 I worked for a place in Fort Lauderdale that made varieties of sausages and their own corned beef from briskets we cut from full carcass beef. I can't remember what I ate for dinner last night but for some bizzar reason I can recall exact weights of spices and such from that time period.
For a corned beef you can use anything you like, Top or Bottom round for a leaner corned beef or Brisket or Chuck roast for a more traditional one.
Ok before I get into this too deep, one part of this recipe, is either Salt Peter "Potassium Nitrate" or Sodium Nitrate. These chemicals are becoming difficult to buy. CVS, Rite Aid and other chains have discontinued handling either. Small town drug stores are about your only hope or online.
The recipe:
4 quarts hot water ( boiled for 10 minutes then removed from heat )
2 cups kosher salt
1/4 cup of sugar
2 tablespoons of pickling spice
1 1/2 teaspoons salt peter or sodium nitrate. The difference will be: Salt Peter will prevent spoilage but will produce a grey exterior and sodium nitrate will produce a traditional red exterior.
When the mixture has cooled to around 34 degrees you can add 3 whole cloves of garlic and the meat.
This recipe should cover a 5 lb piece of beef or 2 - 2 1/2 lb pieces in a large tupperware or generic food safe container. The main thing is to be sure that the meat is completely submerged in the liquid. I use a stoneware bowl on top of the beef to keep it submerged. We used a brick in the 70's. turn the beef every 3 to 5 days.
The 5 lb piece of beef with take 3 weeks to fully cure in the refridgerator and the 2-2 1/2 lb will take 2 weeks.
Personally I like the grey corned beef best, the flavor is amazing.
Make sure your container is sterile, use a cap full of bleach in the water when washing it. Any contaminates will multiply in the brine over the weeks it takes to cure the beef.
Enjoy

Last edited by Rcm58; 04-09-2011 at 06:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 06:50 PM

For those that don't know, hams are brined first then smoked, a fresh ham or picnic or bone in or boneless piece of pork. Brines can be made up of any spices you like to compliment the flavor. Most grocery store bought hams today are Ham and water products. Fresh hams are cured buy running the brine through the arterial artery for a short period of time then smoking or adding liquid smoke. For the home cold smoker " smoking at no more than 85 degrees " you can brine your hams the old fashioned way over time, let them hang and dry for a few days and then smoke them to produce a firm dry ham like we ate before mass production.

Last edited by Rcm58; 04-09-2011 at 07:02 PM..

Old 04-09-2011, 07:40 PM

A side note or afterthought is that cold smoking corned beef produces Pastrami

Old 04-10-2011, 07:45 PM

Here is a picture of the pork belly i've brined and am getting ready to smoke to make bacon. The belly is fully cured as it is, if I wanted I could let it dry for several days, wrap it in linen and hang it in a cool dark spot in the cellar and it would keep for around 6 months.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone into home brining, cold smoking and other curing methods of meats?-p0002395.jpg  

Last edited by Rcm58; 04-10-2011 at 08:07 PM..

Old 04-11-2011, 09:53 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,905,476 times
No, but I love smoked cheeses and smoked fish. I wish I knew someone who could do it well....the stuff at the grocery isn't always that great...need a better deli/market/etc

Old 04-11-2011, 07:52 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times
Just jerkey for me. Venison, Beef, Turkey, etc....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink