Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 09:27 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,436,144 times

Advertisements

I've got my daughter and SIL coming to town with their baby, my son, DIL and their little boy, my oldest two boys, my mother and father and probably my sister and her husband and teen aged son AND my ex-FIL, all for my daughter's graduation next weekend, and she will have her fiance, his father and step-mom and their 5 year old boy and the mother and her husband and their three kids. A full house doesn't begin to cover what I'm about to be cooking for. I'm sure the 'bonus kids' will be drifting in and out all weekend as well, so it's looking like for about 4 or 5 nights I'll be cooking for over 20 people at a time and that doesn't include the little kids.

Anyone have recipes that - like the title suggest - are quick, cheap and easy? Chances are I won't be lucky enough to ever have this much of my family together again and I don't want to spend all day in the kitchen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 09:54 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
My mom always makes a big batch of Italian Beef and keeps it warm in a big electric roaster.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:04 PM

I've got a tiny little crock pot, just big enough for four.......maybe. LOL. Once the last of the seven kids moved out I got rid of the monster roaster I had. Of course! I figured I'd never get a chance to use it again, so I sold it to a local family that had four kids of their own. Wishing I'd kept it now. Seriously thinking of going and buying another.......

I do have a monster pot roast I'll put in the oven the morning they get here for dinner that night. Leaves about four dinners, five breakfasts, five lunches and dead God help me who knows how many snacks!

Old 05-04-2011, 10:24 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,573,964 times
I would do spaghetti one night. You could even buy the pre-made meatballs and add to a good brand of marinara sauce then add your own seasonings. Get a few loaves of good french bread and make a tossed salad...

Barbeque is easy. Cook a large boston butt roast overnight in the oven on low heat (covered). Let it cool, remove the fat and pull the meat apart. Add barbeque sauce (I like the vinegar based sauces but you can use what you like). You can do this ahead of time and freeze the barbeque. All you have to add is rolls or buns, potato salad or chips and baked beans, etc.

Do you have a grill? I would do hamburgers/hotdogs one night on the grill. Or barbeque chicken. Or a pork tenderloin. You could make a pasta salad and grilled veggies.

Good luck! I know how stressful it is to have to feed alot of people!

Old 05-04-2011, 10:25 PM

1,208 posts, read 1,832,656 times
Quote:
Quick, cheap and easy

Hmmmmm...I thought this was gonna be a dating thread! lololol!!!!!!

Old 05-05-2011, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I would do spaghetti one night. You could even buy the pre-made meatballs and add to a good brand of marinara sauce then add your own seasonings. Get a few loaves of good french bread and make a tossed salad...

Barbeque is easy. Cook a large boston butt roast overnight in the oven on low heat (covered). Let it cool, remove the fat and pull the meat apart. Add barbeque sauce (I like the vinegar based sauces but you can use what you like). You can do this ahead of time and freeze the barbeque. All you have to add is rolls or buns, potato salad or chips and baked beans, etc.

Do you have a grill? I would do hamburgers/hotdogs one night on the grill. Or barbeque chicken. Or a pork tenderloin. You could make a pasta salad and grilled veggies.

Good luck! I know how stressful it is to have to feed alot of people!
All fantastic ideas! I actually do a pretty mean spaghetti sauce. Takes all day to make, but if I go get another big electric roaster it would be a cinch to just drop it all in there while I'm making breakfast and leave it for the day!

I've never made BBQ on my own before. Wonder if they'll all mind being my guinea pigs..........

Ok, so I think I've got ideas for dinners. I'll do the burgers / dogs for lunch one day. Any other breakfast / lunch ideas? Breakfast I usually do eggs, bacon, sausage biscuits with gravy, fried potatoes, and pancakes. I love making breakfast! But I can't see me getting up and spending that much time in the kitchen every morning. I guess I could suggest we have one breakfast out while they're all here. Some are short on money and I can offer quietly on the side to pay for theirs. Would cost me about the same as buying all the food anyway, and I don't have to cook or do dishes that way!

Any other breakfast / lunch thoughts though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksharp View Post

Bwahahahaha!!! Yeh, let me get through this crazy week and we'll talk dating! ROFL

Old 05-05-2011, 08:08 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,817,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Breakfast I usually do eggs, bacon, sausage biscuits with gravy, fried potatoes, and pancakes. I love making breakfast!

Any other breakfast / lunch thoughts though?
That is a whole lot of breakfast, mrs1885!
For breakfast you could make frittata, and incorporate eggs and a whole lot of ingredients in one dish. Saves you a tremendous amount of time prepping, and it is delicious.

For lunch, few things are quicker and easier than pasta.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
That is a whole lot of breakfast, mrs1885!
For breakfast you could make frittata, and incorporate eggs and a whole lot of ingredients in one dish. Saves you a tremendous amount of time prepping, and it is delicious.

For lunch, few things are quicker and easier than pasta.
I had to look up what that is. How would I make one large enough for 20 some people? Or would I make several of them, with different ingredients maybe and let people decide which they want?

Pasta for lunch? Like spaghetti? Or maybe a pasta salad?? Oh oh!!! Pasta salad with rotisserie chicken and veggies!!! It's one of my favorites and if I don't add any mayo or anything, people can add what they want - ranch dressing, mayo, italian dressing, etc. Hey.........

Old 05-05-2011, 12:42 PM

8,534 posts, read 7,409,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksharp View Post

hahaha ~~ me too...

Old 05-05-2011, 12:50 PM

8,534 posts, read 7,409,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I had to look up what that is. How would I make one large enough for 20 some people? Or would I make several of them, with different ingredients maybe and let people decide which they want?

Pasta for lunch? Like spaghetti? Or maybe a pasta salad?? Oh oh!!! Pasta salad with rotisserie chicken and veggies!!! It's one of my favorites and if I don't add any mayo or anything, people can add what they want - ranch dressing, mayo, italian dressing, etc. Hey.........

Breakfast Casseroles are EZ & can be made the night before & put in the fridge. Have that with some fresh fruit, coffee & juices.. YUM, I'm coming to your house too!! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink