Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 07:26 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times

Advertisements

I was watching something on the Food Network last night and when my husband came into the room and started watching, he said, "Every time I watch this channel with you, I get hungry... again. How do stand watching all this food???" (And then he left the room. And then he came back with a pint of ice cream and two spoons. )

He's right. I thought about it for a second and I realized that I was salivating a bit, even though we'd just eaten dinner.

And then I realized that reading this forum also makes me hungry... and causes me to wander downstairs to the kitchen more often.

Do you find that when you're watching a cooking show -- or reading this forum -- that even though you weren't hungry when you started, once you start watching or reading, your appetite goes into overdrive?

Please don't tell me that I'm the only one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 10:02 AM

2,501 posts, read 3,649,449 times
Yeah, I get hungry when I read something that asks what I'm craving. If it's something like my gassy food thread or the man with sausage addiction thread, then no I just laugh.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:19 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,509 times
It depends.
Sometimes food shows make me hungry. I used to be a FNetwork fan but since I started watching Cooking Channel I lost almost all interest in FNetwork. I don't know, I guess I am just more of a CChannel kind of gal.

Sometimes I am watching an episode (it can be almost any show there, from Rocco's Dolce Vita - that is the best show! - to Laura Calder or Nadia G, I love her show ) - and I will just get up and try to cook whatever they are cooking. Some posts here have made me hungry too.

But for many (ok, not all, but many) FN shows and some posts I see here, those have made me lose my appetite instead.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
It depends.
Sometimes food shows make me hungry. I used to be a FNetwork fan but since I started watching Cooking Channel I lost almost all interest in FNetwork. I don't know, I guess I am just more of a CChannel kind of gal.

Sometimes I am watching an episode (it can be almost any show there, from Rocco's Dolce Vita - that is the best show! - to Laura Calder or Nadia G, I love her ) - and I will just get up and try to cook whatever they are cooking. Some posts here have made me hungry too.

But for many (ok, not all, but many) FN shows and some posts I see here, those have made me lose my appetite instead.
HAHAHAHA!!!

Hmmm. I don't know if I get the Cooking Channel. I think I'm afraid to check.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:25 AM

I know this is not a CChannel thread, so I won't make it long, but I suggest you take a look at it. It just can't be compared to FNetwork, at least imho.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
I know this is not a CChannel thread, so I won't make it long, but I suggest you take a look at it. It just can't be compared to FNetwork, at least imho.
Oh, it's all about food anyway... it doesn't matter.

Honestly, I hope that I don't get the Cooking Channel. I don't want to have to buy new pants.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:50 AM

No... it's not. Food on the CChannel shows is just... amazing!!
What I am trying to say is, as much as I like fried stuff, if I am going to have to buy new pants it will be from a tarte tatin with buttery, sugary goodness, or a some pasta dish like good old rich carbonara. If I am gaining weight for it, it better be crazy good!

About the pants, though, you might need new ones. I get CChannel on my regular programming, but if they canceled it for some reason, I would pay extra to watch it. Take a look at their website. This will give you a nice idea of what it is like.

But it is not for everyone. An example, the other day Rocco was in Sicily packing fresh anchovies... and I was drooling in front of the tv (and I know for some reason most people don't like them ). I could watch that cooking show for hours, all he makes is just impossibly good.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:53 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Actually Dawn you are on to something. Food fixation is a cause for extra poundage. I believe the term "to covet" covers your thread quite nicely.

Its not just for usage in a religious sense but also has real world applications in everyday life. Ok off my high horse.

I hear a piece of pinapple upside down cake in my lunch box calling my name.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
No... it's not. Food on the CChannel shows is just... amazing!!
What I am trying to say is, as much as I like fried stuff, if I am going to have to buy new pants it will be from a tarte tatin with buttery, sugary goodness, or a some pasta dish like good old rich carbonara. If I am gaining weight for it, it better be crazy good!

About the pants, though, you might need new ones. I get CChannel on my regular programming, but if they canceled it for some reason, I would pay extra to watch it. Take a look at their website. This will give you a nice idea of what it is like.

But it is not for everyone. An example, the other day Rocco was in Sicily packing fresh anchovies... and I was drooling in front of the tv (and I know for some reason most people don't like them ). I could watch that cooking show for hours, all he makes is just impossibly good.
Oh no, when I said "it's all about food anyway so it doesn't matter" (or whatever I said), it wasn't to compare the Food Network to the Cooking Channel. I meant that it didn't matter that you were talking about the Cooking Channel in my "I'm feeling fat from this forum" thread.

I loooooove anchovies!!!!!! I'm doomed if I get that channel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Actually Dawn you are on to something. Food fixation is a cause for extra poundage. I believe the term "to covet" covers your thread quite nicely.

Its not just for usage in a religious sense but also has real world applications in everyday life. Ok off my high horse.

I hear a piece of pinapple upside down cake in my lunch box calling my name.
LOL!!!!

My problem is two-fold:

1. I have a bottomless stomach. Starve a cold, feed a fever? (Or the reverse, if that's what the saying is?) I've never starved. I'm ALWAYS hungry. Even if I'm not hungry, I eat. It's not good.

2. If I'm having A and you're having B... B looks better. I want that. I want what everyone is having. And lots of it. It's not good.

And right now I covet your pineapple upside down cake.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:58 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,271,403 times
Dawnie... you can't fool us...
There aren't any calories when licking your comp. screen. A little lint & dust maybe...but that's fiber ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink