Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2010, 02:41 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
In the past, I have experimented with several types of olive oil. My current iteration is Trader Joe's Spanish Olive Oil...the one that comes corked and is just above $5. So far, this is my favorite olive oil so far with a very rich, unique flavor!

Unfortunately, I am almost out of this oil. I've been exploring local grocery stores, including Whole Foods, where I found an Australian olive oil. Has anyone tried this or any other Australian olive oils? What are your thoughts and how does the taste compare to standard Spanish, Italian, and Greek oils?

Also, any suggestion on oils at all will be great! Let me know your favorite!

Carapelli.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 06:44 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,685,534 times
I thought I had a fairly refined palate, but frankly, I can't tell the difference in taste between filtered olive oils of different origin. I typically have two types of olive oil at home:

1. Filtered virgin olive oil for cooking. I buy whatever is cheapest.

2. Unfiltered olive oil for salads and finishing. It's greenish and slightly cloudy. It's a bit on the expensive side, but it's used in small quantities, anyway.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:29 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,318,422 times
I don't have a favorite and instead it depends on what I'm cooking. Some dishes need a light fruity olive oil while others needs a stronger oil that stands up to heat better. It all depends.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:56 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,748,978 times
I use the Sams currently, decanted into a smaller (and nicer looking!) bottle.

I'm a fan of the Trader Joes and usually buy that if I'm out and will be going anywhere near a TJs.

I would go with the Berio if I couldn't get either of those. My Sicilian friend (born and raised, not has a relative that went to Italy once) would go for the Berio if she was out of what she brought back from her last trip home and I always defer to her when it comes to anything Italian.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:50 PM

13 posts, read 31,637 times
Well, i'm just not so professional to tell the difference, so ..........

Old 11-05-2010, 09:48 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,318,422 times
Jordan, you have to be careful with buying cheap olive oil especially if it comes from North Africa (as most cheap olive oil does) because adulterating olive oil with cheaper substitutes or using chemically processed oil is rampant with north African producers.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:25 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,636 times
Default Losing 'Virgnity': Olive Oil's Scandal

Hi food people.
I listened to this on NPR this evening ... Terri Gross talking with the author of a book about olive oil.
I, a lover of olive oil, thought it was really interesting.
It's only about 20 minutes.

Losing 'Virginity': Olive Oil's 'Scandalous' Fraud : NPR

"Extra-virgin olive oil is a ubiquitous ingredient in Italian recipes, religious rituals and beauty products. But many of the bottles labeled "extra-virgin olive oil" on supermarket shelves have been adulterated and shouldn't be classified as extra-virgin, says New Yorker contributor Tom Mueller.
Mueller's new book, Extra Virginity: The Sublime and Scandalous World of Olive Oil, chronicles how resellers have added lower-priced, lower-grade oils and artificial coloring to extra-virgin olive oil, before passing the new adulterated substance along the supply chain. (One olive oil producer told Mueller that 50 percent of the olive oil sold in the United States is, in some ways, adulterated.)"

Old 12-12-2011, 09:38 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,689,689 times
So rather than being a virgin oil, it's an adulterous one?

Old 12-13-2011, 07:41 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
Hi food people.
I listened to this on NPR this evening ... Terri Gross talking with the author of a book about olive oil.
I, a lover of olive oil, thought it was really interesting.
It's only about 20 minutes.

Losing 'Virginity': Olive Oil's 'Scandalous' Fraud : NPR

"Extra-virgin olive oil is a ubiquitous ingredient in Italian recipes, religious rituals and beauty products. But many of the bottles labeled "extra-virgin olive oil" on supermarket shelves have been adulterated and shouldn't be classified as extra-virgin, says New Yorker contributor Tom Mueller.
Mueller's new book, Extra Virginity: The Sublime and Scandalous World of Olive Oil, chronicles how resellers have added lower-priced, lower-grade oils and artificial coloring to extra-virgin olive oil, before passing the new adulterated substance along the supply chain. (One olive oil producer told Mueller that 50 percent of the olive oil sold in the United States is, in some ways, adulterated.)"
I'm not surprised it isn't truely virgin, but I don't care, I will continue to use it the way I do.

Nita

Old 12-13-2011, 07:56 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
So rather than being a virgin oil, it's an adulterous one?
LOL Granny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink