Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 11:47 PM

682 posts, read 2,423,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
We have a number of WF here in the Portland area but I don't shop there. It is way way overpriced and there is very little in there I would be buying other than produce. I can get produce which is just as good at a more reasonable price, at Safeways or Fred Meyers the local version of Kroger's.

I don't know what WF is like elsewhere in the USA, but here it seems to be a store for the many Young Urban Professionals and crunchy granola crowd. The average shopper would never be in there due to the high prices, and quite frankly the selections don't meet everyone's needs. I need sugar free/low sugar and low carb products and when I tried that store there were none. I asked the manager and was told the store doesn't really carry such products. That it is not really a store for some people on restrictive diets involving such needs. That WF is a store that is geared for those living an Organic and wholesome lifestyle. He was kind and actually recommended I stay with Safeways or Fred Meyers. So no WF for me and thats fine,, considering thier prices and food selections don't really meet my needs.
New Seasons is better anyway -- local and often cheaper. Besides, I've had a burr under my saddle ever since this business: New Seasons balks at Whole Foods' subpoena | OregonLive.com

I miss New Seasons in Seattle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 04:58 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,549,100 times
What is most scary and disappointing is that any "FOOD" from China is allowed into the US at all. I'm sure you will find other stores other than WF selling it. Recently a friend discovered that Dole peaches in glass were from China.. I will now boycott DOLE.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:52 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
What is most scary and disappointing is that any "FOOD" from China is allowed into the US at all. I'm sure you will find other stores other than WF selling it. Recently a friend discovered that Dole peaches in glass were from China.. I will now boycott DOLE.
Support your local farmer!

Old 12-16-2011, 01:13 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,006,141 times
Check this out?

Whole Foods Market China Organic California blend ? - YouTube

Old 12-16-2011, 01:18 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
There are only some select items I shop for at Whole Paycheck. They have a great cheese selection, good produce (fruits/veggies), and when I'm in a mood for a sandwich I can get some good Black Forest Ham without any nitrites or chemicals. Other than that, most of their stuff is either over priced or really doesn't taste all that good.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:19 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Watch out for the CVS brand stuff. ALmost everything is made in China, I noticed that crackers, peanuts and cereal were all made in China.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:27 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Look at the list of products still Made in USA, then you will have an idea WHAT most likely is Made in China...
Made in the USA Products Directory

Old 12-16-2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
I am snacking on Fruit Cocktail from Del Monte right now, and I really like their info on the label:
Del Monte Foods
Ingredients:
Peaches, water, pears, grapes, pineapple, sugar, cherries. ( That's it!)
Cherries product of USA and Chile
Pineapples product of Philippines
Peaches, pears and grapes product of USA
I wish others would follow this clear and easy to understand label!

Old 12-16-2011, 11:39 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,396,070 times
After attempting (and failing) to nurse my beloved pet thru kideny failure due to the melmac tainted petfood several years badk - I quit (knowingly) putting anything from China in or on my body!

The only dishes we use are US made (Fiesta or Corning Ware) as well

Old 12-17-2011, 01:00 AM

I would like to know HOW you quit ( knowingly) putting anything from China in/on your body... Most foods and drinks, meds, medical supplies, cleaning products and/or it components are Made in China.

Anyway: lets look at two niche grocery chains that are associated with the higher end of the marketplace.

In one corner is Trader Joe’s. In the other, Whole Foods.

One is committed to not stocking its shelves with Chinese products (Trader Joe’s)
and the other (Whole Foods) is committed to not only defending the practice, but declaring why it’s a good thing.

“Whole Foods Market continues to buy from China because we believe in supporting farmers that provide high quality products,” the company says in a statement on product sourcing. “Our strategy is not to run away from our Chinese suppliers, but to take a stand and get closer to our suppliers.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink