Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 11:05 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times

Advertisements

I don't know if we are allowed to mention brand names, so I won't mention the brand. But a leading maker of tortilla corn chips has re-introduced their taco variety which they stopped years ago. And I am glad because I think it is one of their best.

It is similar in flavor to their famous ranch flavored chip. I think that it must use some of the sames herbs and spices or whatever types of flavoring that it uses in that flavor.

I also like that it does NOT have the extremely hot/spicy quality that too many Mexican-flavored chips in recent years have had.

Let me know if you have tried these and what you think. Just be careful about using the name lest your post be deleted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 11:27 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
I used to eat the taco flavored ones before and they were always my fave. I was happy to see them make a comeback.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:34 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I don't know if we are allowed to mention brand names, so I won't mention the brand. But a leading maker of tortilla corn chips has re-introduced their taco variety which they stopped years ago. And I am glad because I think it is one of their best.

It is similar in flavor to their famous ranch flavored chip. I think that it must use some of the sames herbs and spices or whatever types of flavoring that it uses in that flavor.

I also like that it does NOT have the extremely hot/spicy quality that too many Mexican-flavored chips in recent years have had.

Let me know if you have tried these and what you think. Just be careful about using the name lest your post be deleted.
I think that you're talking about Doritos (you're definitely allowed to mention brand names) and the fact that you're talking about the taco-flavored ones is going to get another food forum poster into a tizzy -- he LOVES them.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:52 AM

I started a thread here once that got deleted because it mentioned a brand name, which I didn't know was a TOS violation. Have they changed their rule on this?

Old 07-03-2011, 12:10 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
I started a thread here once that got deleted because it mentioned a brand name, which I didn't know was a TOS violation. Have they changed their rule on this?
I really have no idea but on the food forum, it's all about brand names sometimes.

Old 07-03-2011, 02:04 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,424,323 times
I hate Doritos, I remember Taco Flavor Doritos when I was a kid and I loved them.
I'm going to check it out next time I go shopping, I cant wait and I hope they taste good as I remember them!!!

Old 07-03-2011, 09:49 PM

They taste exactly the same as I remember.

My two favorite are the plain "corn" flavor and the taco flavor.

However, neither of these two is sold in the small, individual bags. I don't know why. Whenever I look for plain corn chips at the convenience store, it's almost impossible to find any. They will sell individually sized containers of salsa or cheese dip, but no plain corn chips. Why is that?

Some stores have gotten smart and started selling small local/restaurant bags of plain (salted) tortilla chips just to fill that gap.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:16 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Depends on your Frito Lay distributor but the Taco flavor is sold in small bags in the multipaks and in the bigger "grab bag" size for 99 cents.

I remember the Taco flavor fondly from the 1980's. Apparently it never went away completely as a few distributors still made it, but now that's it's been widely introduced, they don't taste the same as they did in the 1980's. Something is missing or maybe my tastebuds changed. Dunno, but I would be surprised if it's the exact same seasoning recipe.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Depends on your Frito Lay distributor but the Taco flavor is sold in small bags in the multipaks and in the bigger "grab bag" size for 99 cents.

I remember the Taco flavor fondly from the 1980's. Apparently it never went away completely as a few distributors still made it, but now that's it's been widely introduced, they don't taste the same as they did in the 1980's. Something is missing or maybe my tastebuds changed. Dunno, but I would be surprised if it's the exact same seasoning recipe.
They had one called "late night taco" a little while back. I'm not sure if it was exactly the same but it was pretty close. But to me, the taco ones taste exactly how I remember them.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:39 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Quote:
They had one called "late night taco" a little while back. I'm not sure if it was exactly the same but it was pretty close. But to me, the taco ones taste exactly how I remember them.
Nah the late night taco was a different flavor of what I'm taking about. I think it was back around 2008 when frito lay first made the taco flavor nationwide again.

Compared to the 1980's there is less seasoning than before and the taste is a bit different to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink