Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 08:47 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times

Advertisements

On my second ship in the Navy we had a cook from Louisiana. When he saw we had left over rice, he put the rice on the breakfast line. All the other cooks looked at him like he was crazy. Those of us from south Louisiana got excited and asked for the rice. We weren't the only ones. Those of Asian heritage also asked for the rice. We then got fried eggs put on the rice and sat at the table together passing around a bottle of hotsauce. We enjoyed our eggs and rice, a traditional Cajun breakfast dish made with leftover rice and fried eggs. Both the Cajuns and Asians were surprised the other enjoyed this for breakfast while other sailors were looking at us as if we were eating toe cheese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 07:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
On my second ship in the Navy we had a cook from Louisiana. When he saw we had left over rice, he put the rice on the breakfast line. All the other cooks looked at him like he was crazy. Those of us from south Louisiana got excited and asked for the rice. We weren't the only ones. Those of Asian heritage also asked for the rice. We then got fried eggs put on the rice and sat at the table together passing around a bottle of hotsauce. We enjoyed our eggs and rice, a traditional Cajun breakfast dish made with leftover rice and fried eggs. Both the Cajuns and Asians were surprised the other enjoyed this for breakfast while other sailors were looking at us as if we were eating toe cheese.
When people open their minds to others culture we can learn so much; food is the perfect example. This of how most of us have changed our eating habits over the last 20 to 50 years. 50 years ago, how many of us knew anything about Mexican food except: tacos and enchalladas? We didn't have a clue what Indian food was all about unless we were from India and Italian meant Spagetti. You are right, the word Cajun wasn't in our language much less something we ate. I could go on forever about the change in our eating habits. I think the fact we are learning to enjoy a variety of foods is good, not bad.

Nita

Old 07-25-2011, 12:36 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,632,650 times
I enjoy a version of this at a local haunt at breakfast time, they call it Hombre Pobre (but it's not a po boy). Delicious, well seasoned yellow rice flecked with tasty bits of bell peppers and peas, topped with eggs however you like - I like them over medium, but I have seen people order them scrambled and that looks good too. Break the eggs into the rice, it's a thing of beauty. Cuban toast and cafe con leche on the side. Yum.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
I enjoy a version of this at a local haunt at breakfast time, they call it Hombre Pobre (but it's not a po boy). Delicious, well seasoned yellow rice flecked with tasty bits of bell peppers and peas, topped with eggs however you like - I like them over medium, but I have seen people order them scrambled and that looks good too. Break the eggs into the rice, it's a thing of beauty. Cuban toast and cafe con leche on the side. Yum.
almost like conji or similar, but not really the same. I love conji or maybe it is spelled conge..I can't remember.

Nita

Old 07-25-2011, 05:09 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Since I am a Fusion of two cultures I relish fusion foods as well as standards. A favorite of mine is chili relleno lasagna.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:32 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,594,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
We enjoyed our eggs and rice, a traditional Cajun breakfast dish made with leftover rice and fried eggs. Both the Cajuns and Asians were surprised the other enjoyed this for breakfast.
Funny that you mention those two cultures/cuisines in particular as having something surprisingly in common. Years ago there was a fusion restaurant in the DC area called Cajun-Bangkok. It's whole concept was to take two disparate cuisines and make them taste good together. Little did they know how much they had in common already!

Old 07-25-2011, 06:43 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Someone carrying chocolate once bumped into someone carrying peanut butter. So we have: Reese's.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:03 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Funny that you mention those two cultures/cuisines in particular as having something surprisingly in common. Years ago there was a fusion restaurant in the DC area called Cajun-Bangkok. It's whole concept was to take two disparate cuisines and make them taste good together. Little did they know how much they had in common already!
Here in Lafayette, Louisiana we have plenty of mom & pop family owned fusion restaurants. A fusion of asian and cajun run by immigrant asians. One recent one has traditional cajun po'boys, boudin balls, and lomain noodles. Boudin is basicly pork and rice stuffed into an intestine like a sausage. You eat it like a push pop by squeezing the casing to push up the stuffing which is spice rice, pork, and other spices. Some take the stuffing, roll it into a ball, put a batter on it, and then quickly fry it.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:20 AM

473 posts, read 714,866 times
wow sailordave- you would be disappointed if you ordered boudin in the french sections of maine and the maritimes. i know our ancestry is supposed to be similiar to that of louisiana, but here, its blood sausage.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Since I am a Fusion of two cultures I relish fusion foods as well as standards. A favorite of mine is chili relleno lasagna.
sounds like an entree that was being prepared on the Food Network last week: they called it Mexican Lasagna.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink