Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 07:51 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,476,279 times

Advertisements

The food pyramid suggests you eat 6-11 servings of grains a day and 5-9 servings of fruits + vegetables.

Would it be unhealthy if you followed the food pyramid in the long-term with one diet modification: only had 2-3 servings of grains everyday and 9-15 servings of fruits and vegetables?

(Intuitively, we're eating less grains and replacing them all with fruits or vegetables.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 08:43 PM

61,653 posts, read 87,023,434 times
You mean like a Paleolithic diet?

Old 10-22-2011, 05:29 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,894,862 times
I'm not sure about the healthy/unhealthy aspect of it, but I have hypogyclemia and can't do small amounts of grains each day. I get weak and shaky and do best with a mix of protein and carbs, and of course fruit and veggies. There must be something in grains that a body needs, mine at least. You don't mention any protein sources in your diet??

Old 10-22-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I'm not sure about the healthy/unhealthy aspect of it, but I have hypogyclemia and can't do small amounts of grains each day. I get weak and shaky and do best with a mix of protein and carbs, and of course fruit and veggies. There must be something in grains that a body needs, mine at least. You don't mention any protein sources in your diet??
Most of the protein comes from meat, dairy, nuts, and tofu..

Old 10-22-2011, 09:23 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,122,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post

If you have hypoglycemia and get "weak and shaky" if you don't have grains, then you're insulin is spiking, most likely because the grains you are having are highly processed and turning into sugar.

You would be well advised to eat several smaller meals containing either complex carbohydrates or protein (not both).

Although I personally love the starchy carbs that come from grains, I know that they are not good for me. And I know the reason that I like them is that they give me a sugar/alcohol high when I eat them.

In nature, primitive man would not eat grains, except those which he would find in the stomachs of the herbivore animals that he would kill as prey. Most probably those would already be partially digested or fermented. Humans cannot eat unprocessed grain. Therefore, I am led to believe that it is not a NATURAL food for us.

But then, you could argue that 2 billion Chinese can't all be wrong. LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-22-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
If you have hypoglycemia and get "weak and shaky" if you don't have grains, then you're insulin is spiking, most likely because the grains you are having are highly processed and turning into sugar.

You would be well advised to eat several smaller meals containing either complex carbohydrates or protein (not both).

Although I personally love the starchy carbs that come from grains, I know that they are not good for me. And I know the reason that I like them is that they give me a sugar/alcohol high when I eat them.

In nature, primitive man would not eat grains, except those which he would find in the stomachs of the herbivore animals that he would kill as prey. Most probably those would already be partially digested or fermented. Humans cannot eat unprocessed grain. Therefore, I am led to believe that it is not a NATURAL food for us.

But then, you could argue that 2 billion Chinese can't all be wrong. LOL

20yrsinBranson
Btw, I'm Chinese but even then, I've deviated from the culturally accepted diet.. no more rice or noodles except once in a blue moon.

I'm starting to "get sick" of grains and would rather enjoy more vegetables in my diet.. I also think I'm suffering from mild hyopglycemia and basically followed my own cravings as to what to eat.. and it's "suggesting" drastically cutting grains to almost none and binging on more vegetables, preferably organic. Dunno if this diet would be healthy in the very long run.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:44 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,487,108 times
i dont see how it would be unhealthy?
your body does need carbs in order to help the nutrients get through the body but carbs is contained in many vegetables. i assume that if you find out how much carb a person needs daily and then count how much carb is in the different foods you eat it would be at least even. the food pyramid was invented by the govt. so that people would eat more grains and farmers would grow more subsidized crops.

essentially the fruits and veggies should be the bottom of the pyramid and the grains and fat should be towards the top.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:06 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
So instead of 4 cups of wheat (in the form of cereal, bread, linguine), you'd have four cups of mashed potatoes?

I think it's the choices that make the difference. It really depends on -which- fruits and veggies you think you're going to replace the grain with.

If you're eliminating one serving of bread, and replacing it with a serving of spinach, then I'd say yeah it's a great choice. If you're eliminating a serving of bread, and replacing it with applesauce, probably not so much. Instead of a whole bowl of frosted flakes, maybe try half a bowl of oatmeal with a couple of fresh sliced strawberries in it. That way you're reducing (not eliminating) simple carbs, and adding more fruits/veggies, and combining it in a way that will be more filling, more nutritious, and tasty.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:27 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,487,108 times
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/how-many-carbohydrates-do-you-need (broken link).
http://www.weightlossforall.com/carb...vegetables.htm

the top article shows how many carbs you need
the second link shows how many carbs are in veggies.

its not all about potatoes and corn. even green leafy vegetables contain carbs

Old 10-23-2011, 06:57 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,894,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

I appreciate your advice, and yes of course I know not to eat large meals. LOL, I've been hypoglycemic over 20 years. I know what works for me and what doesn't, and I have found that following my Dr.'s advice to eat a combo of protein and complex carbohydrates works best for me. And maybe you are confused about what hypoglycemia is, it is low blood sugar, not high. When I get weak and shaky it is because my insulin levels have dropped, not because they are "spiking" as you stated. A combo of both protein and complex carbs keeps my blood sugar higher for longer than just a small serving of just either.

Nutrition for Reactive Hypoglycemia - McKinley Health Center - University of Illinois

When blood glucose falls, eating carbohydrate foods can bring blood glucose levels back up; a meal or a snack must be eaten. Some people believe the obvious solution is to eat a candy bar or drink a cola beverage. Such a meal or snack is very high in carbohydrate, and consists mostly of simple sugar. It may cause your blood level to rise quickly and then fall quickly. Some people then experience the symptoms of rebound hypoglycemia.

A more helpful choice is to eat food with complex carbohydrates (higher fiber whole grain crackers, bagels, breads or cereal). Complex carbohydrate foods deliver glucose over a longer period of time, eliciting less of a rise and fall in blood glucose. A cracker or other grain food with cheese or another protein/fat is the best choice. The protein/fat slows down the digestion of the carbohydrate and keeps blood sugar more stable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink