Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 05:22 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,850,821 times

Advertisements

Wow six people don't know , wait till mothertothree comes on, she'll know ..I think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 05:23 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
google

Old 03-05-2014, 05:30 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,228,517 times
Hope this helps...
How to Remedy Oversalted Cooking: 3 Steps - wikiHow
How to Fix Too Much Salt | MyRecipes.com

Old 03-05-2014, 05:36 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,407,333 times
Any starchy product will absorb the salt. It works better with a dried protect because as it absorbs water, there is that movement in the solution, the stew, to equalize the salt so the stew becomes less salty and the dried product becomes more salty. Obviously, the product added has to have no salt or very little salt.

Of course, it depends how much salt you over added. If it is severe, You can add a potato and noodles and when they have absorbed the liquid, let stand, remove them, discard and add more. Then add new ones with more water and eventually the salt will diminish. You can also drain the liquid from the stew and start the stew with a newer base of liquid and re-add your solid. Or, throw it all out and make some more.

I have found when I make soups with rice or pasta. If I have leftovers, it just needs a little more salt as the salty taste is diminished.

Livecontent

Old 03-05-2014, 05:43 PM

Thank you, it did say potatoes don't really work .

Old 03-05-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Any starchy product will absorb the salt. It works better with a dried protect because as it absorbs water, there is that movement in the solution, the stew, to equalize the salt so the stew becomes less salty and the dried product becomes more salty. Obviously, the product added has to have no salt or very little salt.

Of course, it depends how much salt you over added. If it is severe, You can add a potato and noodles and when they have absorbed the liquid, let stand, remove them, discard and add more. Then add new ones with more water and eventually the salt will diminish. You can also drain the liquid from the stew and start the stew with a newer base of liquid and re-add your solid. Or, throw it all out and make some more.

I have found when I make soups with rice or pasta. If I have leftovers, it just needs a little more salt as the salty taste is diminished.

Livecontent
Yes I'm adding the extra large egg noodles tomorrow .

Old 03-06-2014, 01:49 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,883,675 times
A soup/stew should be lightly salted until it has reached final reduction - that's when you make sure it has the desired amount of salt. It's easier to add salt than remove it.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:58 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,827,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplies View Post
Wow six people don't know , wait till mothertothree comes on, she'll know ..I think
:P I missed this thread! It depends on what type of beef stew. If it was a guinness beef stew, I add a touch of honey or brown sugar. It combats the bitterness of guinness and salt. If a red wine based stew, I would perhaps put it on high and add a touch more red wine. Or use water/cornstarch to thicken it which will also dilute it a bit. Or just plain add a touch of water. Noodles will absorb much of the salt as well as you thought.

Hope it's tasty for you.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
:P I missed this thread! It depends on what type of beef stew. If it was a guinness beef stew, I add a touch of honey or brown sugar. It combats the bitterness of guinness and salt. If a red wine based stew, I would perhaps put it on high and add a touch more red wine. Or use water/cornstarch to thicken it which will also dilute it a bit. Or just plain add a touch of water. Noodles will absorb much of the salt as well as you thought.

Hope it's tasty for you.
It called for red wine didnt have any in, been in fridge overnight and doesn't taste too salty now ? Yes I think the buttered noodles will take care of it if I don't salt them too much when boiling .
My sister does all her stews in a pressure cooker, those s I'm a little afraid of.

Last edited by Supplies; 03-06-2014 at 11:30 AM..

Old 03-06-2014, 11:42 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,407,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplies View Post
It called for red wine didnt have any in, been in fridge overnight and doesn't taste too salty now ? Yes I think the buttered noodles will take care of it if I don't salt them too much when boiling .
My sister does all her stews in a pressure cooker, those s I'm a little afraid of.
NO....NO....to absorb the salt cook the noodles in the stew. Do not add pre-cooked salted noodles. Also, wine expands the flavor of an dish and will extend the feeling of oversalting.

Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink