Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 04:02 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,759,064 times

Advertisements

I use a mixture of cornbread and white bread when I make dressing (not stuffing). Usually I use a package of the PF Cornbread Stuffing and one of their bags of the Herbed Stuffing as a base for the stuffing, but I do not usually follow the directions on the bag. I do mine similar to Paula Deens, except mine is not that runny. I use a couple of eggs, some chicken broth, onion and celery sauted in butter, and some additional melted butter, plus lots of poultry seasoning, sage, thyme, and salt and pepper. It comes out thick, and definitely is not pourable. I place it all in a buttered pan and bake. Delicious.

However, this Thanksgiving, I tried just using the PF cornbread stuffing and making it according to package directions. There were only 2 of us for dinner, so I didn't go to the trouble to make my usual stuffing. It was absolutely horrible. I won't do that again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 04:56 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
I use a mixture of cornbread and white bread when I make dressing (not stuffing). Usually I use a package of the PF Cornbread Stuffing and one of their bags of the Herbed Stuffing as a base for the stuffing, but I do not usually follow the directions on the bag. I do mine similar to Paula Deens, except mine is not that runny. I use a couple of eggs, some chicken broth, onion and celery sauted in butter, and some additional melted butter, plus lots of poultry seasoning, sage, thyme, and salt and pepper. It comes out thick, and definitely is not pourable. I place it all in a buttered pan and bake. Delicious.

However, this Thanksgiving, I tried just using the PF cornbread stuffing and making it according to package directions. There were only 2 of us for dinner, so I didn't go to the trouble to make my usual stuffing. It was absolutely horrible. I won't do that again.
Yeah mine is not quite that runny either, I think she used a bit too much broth.

My problem with instant stuffing is that it's WAY too strong. I'm not sure what kind of herbs they put in there, but it's overpowering.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:35 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,759,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Yeah mine is not quite that runny either, I think she used a bit too much broth.

My problem with instant stuffing is that it's WAY too strong. I'm not sure what kind of herbs they put in there, but it's overpowering.
I think the PF stuff is just basically bags of dried cornbread and bread crumbs. The breadcrumb stuff says it has herbs, but I don' think so. I can't taste anything but cornbread in the cornbread kind, and very little if any in the herbed breadcrumbs. It's definitely not like the instant stovetop stuff.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:23 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post

My big issue with cornbread, in general, is that I have not seen the bread or muffins or a mix that did not have sugar added. I like corn bread, not corn cake. I hate it with sugar added.

Sugar is not good for us, neither is fat. I try to use chicken stock in my stuffing, increasing the flavor, and cut back a bit on the butter.

You can train your taste buds away from certain flavors and textures. I don't eat many sweets and now when I purchase something sweet it has way too much sugar for me. Even eating oranges seem too sweet and certainly does orange juice, most of which has an added orange substance that they don't call 'concentrate' so they don't have to list it as such.

I was once on a low salt diet and boy, when I stopped it, did foods taste too salty to me.

I'm not saying we should all go on diets, but if you think something may be harmful to you because you have certain problems that run in the family, if you just cut back on a consistent basis you will find yourself not wanting the bad stuff anymore eventually.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:50 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
While I agree with you that once you go off of salt or sugar you soon do not miss it, traditional holiday cooking is no place to start pulling out the anti-abundance bs.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:34 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
While I agree with you that once you go off of salt or sugar you soon do not miss it, traditional holiday cooking is no place to start pulling out the anti-abundance bs.
Oh, I'm sorry.
I didn't mean to be 'pulling anti-abundance bs' on anyone.
(whatever that's supposed to mean)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink