Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 12:32 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times

Advertisements

I am working in a small Indiana town this week and the only lunch choices available are fast food. We try to avoid fast food, but today we had to pick the lessor of the two evils.

It was a toss up between McDonald's and Wendy's. We picked Wendy's, we thought we could at least get a good salad.

Wrong! Worst salads EVER. A black plastic bowl full iceberg lettuce. I thought with the first bite it tasted watery, so I looked and there was literally an inch of water in the bottom of the bowl. I tipped the bowl to the side, and the lettuce floated to the top as the water sloshed to the side.

On the positive side, at least I didn't pay $8 for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 12:40 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
Fast food salads are provided by local produce wholesale distributors. Ask a fast food kitchen worker. they do no food prep on produce. they open a bag.

Wholesalers used to just sell boxes of carrots and tomatoes and the like but the business has now changed completely such that service produce items make up 90% of their businesses. They get green bananas and ripen them in ripening tunnels, same with tomatoes, bag lettuce and carrots, etc. Make salad bar items. The guy who supplies Wendy's salad bar may also supply every other fast food restaurant in your community or, as is the case here in Cincinnati, each fast food outlet uses multiple produce handlers and plays them off one against the other.

What you experience when you go to a fast food salad bar is the quality of that produce wholesaler and his work force. To a very minor extent, the quality control person at the fast food restaurant may make a difference.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:41 PM

741 posts, read 1,679,498 times
Carl's Jr shocked me with their 2.99 salad that has grilled chicken on top--reminds me of a 5.00 salad from McDs..only better and cheaper!!

Old 12-07-2011, 02:44 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
i remember the southwest salad at mcdonalds being pretty yummy.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:02 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
I've gotten the Southwest Salad from Wendy's before and been satisfied with it. It comes with chili, so what I did was take some of the cheese off, dump half the chili on the salad, and throw away the ranch dressing and tortilla strips that come with it. Not the healthiest thing I've ever eaten, but not the worst, either.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:46 PM

709 posts, read 955,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Fast food salads are provided by local produce wholesale distributors. Ask a fast food kitchen worker. they do no food prep on produce. they open a bag.

Wholesalers used to just sell boxes of carrots and tomatoes and the like but the business has now changed completely such that service produce items make up 90% of their businesses. They get green bananas and ripen them in ripening tunnels, same with tomatoes, bag lettuce and carrots, etc. Make salad bar items. The guy who supplies Wendy's salad bar may also supply every other fast food restaurant in your community or, as is the case here in Cincinnati, each fast food outlet uses multiple produce handlers and plays them off one against the other.

What you experience when you go to a fast food salad bar is the quality of that produce wholesaler and his work force. To a very minor extent, the quality control person at the fast food restaurant may make a difference.
There are still Wendy'sthat have salad bars? All our Wendy's got rid of their salad bars years ago.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:59 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times
Who goes to a fast food joint for salad? For that kind of money, go to the supermarket, get a field greens tub and a bottle of dressing. If you want a little more protein add some shrimp or deli meats....might even get some shredded cheese......for under $10 you can feed two or three people for under $20 you can add some sunflower seeds, some blue cheese, some cherry tomatoes, and feed five or six people and have a gourmet salad..........

Old 12-07-2011, 08:18 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Who goes to a fast food joint for salad? For that kind of money, go to the supermarket, get a field greens tub and a bottle of dressing. If you want a little more protein add some shrimp or deli meats....might even get some shredded cheese......for under $10 you can feed two or three people for under $20 you can add some sunflower seeds, some blue cheese, some cherry tomatoes, and feed five or six people and have a gourmet salad..........
Traveling for work, in a small town with only a McDonald's and Wendy's. No place to get a field greens tub, so that is why we went to a fast food joint for salad.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:54 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
A small Indiana town with no diner or mom & pop place that serves those excellent Midwest breakfasts and lunch items?

Old 12-08-2011, 08:08 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I am working in a small Indiana town this week and the only lunch choices available are fast food. We try to avoid fast food, but today we had to pick the lessor of the two evils.

It was a toss up between McDonald's and Wendy's. We picked Wendy's, we thought we could at least get a good salad.

Wrong! Worst salads EVER. A black plastic bowl full iceberg lettuce. I thought with the first bite it tasted watery, so I looked and there was literally an inch of water in the bottom of the bowl. I tipped the bowl to the side, and the lettuce floated to the top as the water sloshed to the side.

On the positive side, at least I didn't pay $8 for it.
When we still lived in the Dallas area I would go to the nearest Wendys sometimes and bring lunch back to the office. I always got the small ceaser salad and a baked potato. I thought it was pretty good, but I don't think I have ever had any other fast food salads.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink