Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 08:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,918,048 times

Advertisements

anyone notice OP hasn't come back to tell us what he/she means by salad only life. We still don't know if there are a lot of veggies, any meat, eggs, cheese, nuts, some kind of protein, any fruit, dried or otherwise? And what kind of dressing is he/she using. It would be nice to know exactly what was meant by salad only diet for a long time. What is a long period, 2 weeks, 2 months, 2 years?

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 08:52 AM

20,966 posts, read 28,494,994 times
It's healthy but as someone else said it can get boring. Try adding grilled shrimp, chicken, steak, Tunafish to your salad. Adding beans is good too. We have salad twice a week. Sometimes salad or should I say lettuce upsets my stomach. Why is that? Iceberg does it to me the most and that's why I never buy it.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:45 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,135,151 times
Ugh, you're a human being, not a rabbit . Believe it or not eating salad seems to make me hungrier than I was before. I like a good salad, but only with plenty of dressing and other goodies in it (i.e. compromising much of it's healthy qualities).

Depends what type of veggies you put into your salad. Obviously, lettuce and tomato are mostly water and aren't all that nutritious.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:22 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,503,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Well, he didn't said that he want to eat, lets say: iceberg lettuce 3 x a day for 3 years
"Salads" could mean absolutely everything: from veggie salads with beans, grains, potatoes, and other vegetables, to fruit salads with added nuts, seeds etc. He does not oppose extra serving of lean chicken, red meat or fish. If eaten like that, he pretty much will cover lots of nutritional values, in a very healthy way.
Say for a month or so..

it's all about a tradeoff between convenience and health. Cooking takes too long, imo, and eating out or eating prepackaged convenient but not healthy.

You only need to wash (but not cook) the vegetables in a salad. Add some bits of ham, nuts, fresh cheese, etc. as well as a simple dressing (say olive oil with vinegar and crushed red peppers.)

Old 12-18-2011, 09:42 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,358,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
A good change-up from salads is slaws. I buy broccoli/carrot mix (they're slivered) and steam it about 30 seconds in the microwave. It's still really crunchy and I dress it while warm. Then it can stay in the fridge for up to 3 days. Salad doesn't keep like that.

You can use different kinds of slaw dressing, really any dressing you want. It doesn't have to be creamy or mayo based. Of course, classic slaw classically goes great with BBQ'd meats. Anything spicy is perfect, and you don't need much "side" protein. I could have a nice bread/pate with a slaw and be completely satisfied for lunch.

Love slaw salad. I just started doing this and adding shredded baked chicken breast, green onions, caraway seeds, peas or broc. I have also added, cranberries and/walnuts. But you can add anything you want. I make my own dressing so I can limit it.

Love the crunch of the cabbage slaw. I roll it up in romaine lettuce or high fiber wrap.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:35 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,918,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Say for a month or so..

it's all about a tradeoff between convenience and health. Cooking takes too long, imo, and eating out or eating prepackaged convenient but not healthy.

You only need to wash (but not cook) the vegetables in a salad. Add some bits of ham, nuts, fresh cheese, etc. as well as a simple dressing (say olive oil with vinegar and crushed red peppers.)
well now you have explained it, I just think it would get pretty boring and I happen to love salad, but would it hurt you? I doubt it, in fact, it is pretty healthy as long as you don't make it your life's food.

Nita

Old 12-21-2011, 07:49 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,311,276 times
I agree with what some said about how we need variety in our diet and we do. However, eating salad everything won't hurt anything as long as there is some protein, carbs and fat coming in from somewhere. Vitamins of course, but I think that is why variety in our diet is important, to get the variety of nutrients, vitamins and minerals needed for functions.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:39 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,561,238 times
I have a hard time eating cold salad during the cold months of the year. During the winter I crave soups, during the summer, I crave salads.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:49 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,537,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E E View Post
I have a hard time eating cold salad during the cold months of the year. During the winter I crave soups, during the summer, I crave salads.
I crave both no matter the season. Don't know what's wrong with me!?

Old 12-29-2011, 07:48 AM

17,444 posts, read 16,615,018 times
I eat a lot of salad and I like crisp, raw veggies. But when I have a cold or I am just feeling cold or worn out, I want something warm and soothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink