Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 04:38 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times

Advertisements

I like my Beef "blue" and Game meat very pink and pork can also be a little pink. Chicken no.

I was raised that way, it tastes a lot better to me than what I would consider overcooked meat, I prefer the texture and I don't see how that makes me a snob.

I could not care less how other people eat their meat . If they want to have it so cooked it tastes like shoe leather and could be used to bounce things of a wall then I take no issue with it as long as I am not told how my meat can and cannot be cooked.

At the end of the day people should cook food they like and eat it the way they like it. None of my business.

Do I think it ruins a perfectly piece of animal flesh ? Yes. But apart from that who cares. As long as I don't have to eat my meat that way then whatever rocks people's boat...

Heck I love raw meat be it Carpaccio, Steak Tartare etc... ( Steak Tartare was one of the first solid foods I was given to my knowledgeas a Baby ) ,I adore Sashimi and Sushi too. Not because it is more "sophisticated" but because I love the taste of it. I was brought up on it, it is the way most people in France eat their meat , nothing "sophisticated" about it, just a cultural thing I suppose.

Some countries like in South East Asia for example seem to love tough chewy foods often with sinews. I don't but who am I to say ?

If anything I find that people look at me horrified when I eat Steak Tartare or have a Fillet Steak which is barely seared. I would say they have more of a problem with my "blue" steak than I do with their well done one. It seems to repulse them as though I was somehow disgusting for daring not to cook my meat forever.

I have gotten a lot of comments and looks which quite frankly are not terribly polite. I don't go around going "yuk" because someone is having a well done steak. Privately I might recoil and shudder but it is about choice at the end of the day.

Also I have noticed in restaurants that the waiters always assume the "blue" steak is for Hubby as obviously only a hot blooded male could possibly entertain the idea of such a bizarre dish.... ( Hubby likes his medium rare).

Old 01-09-2012, 05:52 AM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet*Tea View Post
Wait a minute. The OP did not state he likes his food over cooked or "cooked to the point of cremation". He stated he liked it fully cooked. There is a difference. Also, stating someone needs "new taste buds"just because you like your food cooked differently is proving the point of the OP's post. Snobbery.
I was not trying to be a snob about it sorry if I came off that way.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Of course people have different tastes in food, but fully cooked sure tastes better to me, has better texture, and less chance of food poisoning.

Does it seem to you that some people eat undercooked meat as a form of snobbery? Like they think it means they're sophisticated.
Maybe to some degree, yes, but it is still a matter of opinion and many of us to like our meat rare or very rare. I am not a beef tar tar person (though I have tried it) and I am not even a suchi lover, but I don't want it overcooked either.

As for food poisoning, that too depends on the type of meat and where it came from.

It sounds to me like you are they type that really likes the old fashion home cooking which is wonderful, but I don't think someone who eats their undercooked meats as you call them can be called snobs necessarily.

Nita

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Totally agree BJ! My boys have been in town and them, mother and I and their sister went to a uppity deli sort of yuppie place. It's well known as a combination of things. It has been featured on Diner's Drive-ins and Dives with Guy Fieri! We ordered a variety soups and sandwiches. Oldest son got a Buffalo Burger and daughter a chicken sandwich of some kind. The food is all over rated in my opinion. Daughter's chicken was half raw. She told them and was going to get a new one to take home. Her and 4 yr. old Gdaughter had bites of it.

She spoke to someone as we were leaving and they refunded $65.00 full bill. This was good as they should have done to begin with. Raw chicken is an unforgivable sin though.
Raw chicken should never be eatin, but that doesn't mean all meats need to be fully cooked. In fact even chicken can be overcooked. The juices should run clear to make sure it is cooked, but it should still be tender and juicy.

Nita

Last edited by Beretta; 01-09-2012 at 08:09 AM..

Old 01-09-2012, 08:13 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Of course people have different tastes in food, but fully cooked sure tastes better to me, has better texture, and less chance of food poisoning.
For those that are bringing up chicken, I don't think the OP was referencing that type of meat. That would be a common sense issue.

As for fully cooked meats offering you less chance of food poisoning...that has more to do with handling/storage of your meat more-so than the degree to which you cook said meat.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:14 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
Just because I like carpaccio, beef tartar, and enjoy my ribeyes cooked med-rare doesn't make me a snob. Moderator cut: not appropriate
I actually thought I had deleted that last part before hitting the submit button. Sorry about that.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:06 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
I have been to restaurants where it states on the menu: We refuse to compromise the high quality of our meat by overcooking. All beef will be cooked rare, medium rare or medium only." or something similar.

I have been vegetarian for many years, but when I did eat meat, it was always rare. I think cooking it past medium rare destroys the flavor, makes it tough and cooks out the juices.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:21 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
I'm well aware of this Nita:
Quote:
Raw chicken should never be eatin, but that doesn't mean all meats need to be fully cooked. In fact even chicken can be overcooked. The juices should run clear to make sure it is cooked, but it should still be tender and juicy.
I'm not concerned about a little pink in a steak. Cooking chicken til juices run clear for sure! Hamburger I've eaten with a slight bit of pink but prefer the safety in no pink. I've had steaks that were juicy and tender cooked med and well. I don't care how others have theirs cooked it's a personal choice of course.

Quote:
I have been to restaurants where it states on the menu: We refuse to compromise the high quality of our meat by overcooking. All beef will be cooked rare, medium rare or medium only." or something similar.
I might walk out of a place that says they'll cook my steak the way they want to..Missik. My first post was coming off that chicken experience fresh on my mind.

I won't be eating anything that's bleeding raw blood. Fire has been around too long. I cook lots of meats indoors and on the grill. Always learning something new. Let's remember everyone is entitled to their opinions and tastes..

Old 01-09-2012, 03:52 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Let's remember everyone is entitled to their opinions and tastes..

Yes, I understand that's why they make pink wine

Old 01-09-2012, 04:26 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Yes, I understand that's why they make pink wine
They have used bovine blood to color red wines.... To each his/her own..

Old 01-10-2012, 03:16 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
The blggest problem with improperly cooked food is not snobbery. It is salmonella and e-coli and botulism. It is a risk one takes when the meat and fowl does not reach a specific internal temperature before serving..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink