Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 01:17 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Bacon - Maybe I'm a bit biased since Im jewish, but I dont get the point of it, it's like the pork version of beef jerky, it seems so fatty too!
The delicious flavor, which granted is related primarily to the fatty you mentioned.

I've done some long-term travel in predominantly Muslim countries where bacon isn't around, and upon arriving somewhere else with bacon readily available have almost wept tears of joy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 08:10 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
The delicious flavor, which granted is related primarily to the fatty you mentioned.

I've done some long-term travel in predominantly Muslim countries where bacon isn't around, and upon arriving somewhere else with bacon readily available have almost wept tears of joy.
There are Muslim students in my college and it's always really convenient when they cook since I don't have to worry about finding pork in my food lol

Old 03-23-2016, 08:13 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
There are Muslim students in my college and it's always really convenient when they cook since I don't have to worry about finding pork in my food lol
Food is very subjective and yes, you might be somewhat swayed by your religion, but good bacon has a lot of flavor and isn't anything like beef jerky. It is not as chewy, is richer and can add flavor to many foods. Beef jerky is ok, in small doses.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:28 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheng99 View Post
Kimchi: smells horrible and too spicy, my stomach cannot stand it.

Korean BBQ: just another typical barbecue with Korean spices, nothing special.

Fish and Chips: too greasy and tasteless
Fish and chips can be delicious but very often they aren't cooked right and what you say is true.

I live near the sea and there SHOULD be loads of good fish and chips around here but mostly it's bland and over priced. Finally found one great place that did it right but the owner is retiring. Recently discovered a great place that had delicious batter and the oil was fresh and at the right temperature so nothing was greasy. The chips should be thick, not stringy like MacDonald's. To get really great fish and chips it seems that you have to check around.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:37 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Fish and chips shouldn't be tasteless.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:40 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Food is very subjective and yes, you might be somewhat swayed by your religion, but good bacon has a lot of flavor and isn't anything like beef jerky. It is not as chewy, is richer and can add flavor to many foods. Beef jerky is ok, in small doses.
Beef jerky is am emergency food basically.

And of course bacon is fatty Warsawaza - fat is where the flavor is.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:51 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
kale

tofu

Old 03-23-2016, 12:10 PM

2,151 posts, read 3,592,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
Those butter imitations are over-rated, in my opinion.
They have no taste, for the most part, and simply make the toast soggy, without adding saturated fat to your diet. I would rather have real butter and take my chances.
According to modern thought, the butter is actually much healthier than the fake spreads.

Don in Austin

Old 03-23-2016, 12:43 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Most kinds of seafood. Squid, octopus, mussel, oyster, scallops. I don't like the rubbery/slimy texture, find it either tasteless or too fishy. Honestly don't get what the fuss is about. I do enjoy well-cooked fish and crustaceans like crab and lobster done well. Not a fan of prawn/shrimp in general but on the odd occasion if it's succulent and well seasoned it can be quite nice.
It's very simple - people have different subjective tastes.

Baby octopus, properly grilled (and this is the key), is sublime. But scallops? No thank you. Now, that doesn't mean I think you're underrating grilled baby octopus, or that someone who loves scallops is overrating them. That would be the height of self-absorption on my part.

Frankly, I find it mind-boggling that people don't understand this.

Old 03-23-2016, 02:24 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,093,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
What are some foods that many people seem to rave on about/love but leave you cold/gagging?

For me:

Most kinds of seafood. Squid, octopus, mussel, oyster, scallops. I don't like the rubbery/slimy texture, find it either tasteless or too fishy. Honestly don't get what the fuss is about. I do enjoy well-cooked fish and crustaceans like crab and lobster done well. Not a fan of prawn/shrimp in general but on the odd occasion if it's succulent and well seasoned it can be quite nice.

Caviar/fish eggs: Totally overrated, do not like the taste.

Foie gras: Tried it once at a French restaurant and it's too rich for me. I also don't like it from an ethical standpoint.

Turkey: My least favourite meat because it's so dry. Not sure if it's overrated, but I also don't care for the gamey taste of duck/quail etc.

Pumpkin: I don't like roast pumpkin but I can tolerate pumpkin soup because it doesn't really taste like pumpkin that much. Not being American I've never had pumpkin pie but the idea is revolting. Why ruin perfectly good pastry with pumpkin?

Kimchi: I like Korean barbecue and actually sometimes like Kimchi for it's spicy flavour, but it's not all that great.

Jambalaya/Gumbo: Everyone thinks this is the greatest thing ever, but I found it pretty flavourless and tasteless to be honest. I like some other Cajun dishes and I love Southern cooking in general but I found this overrated.

Sushi: It's convenient, but it's bland and not really the most tasty. I find the sticky Japanese rice a bit dense and heavy. If I eat it I pile on the wasabi and soy sauce.

Steak: I actually do love a well-cooked steak, but it's 'overrated' because often times the quality of the meat and the way it's cooked leaves me overwhelmed. It's just hard to find good steak at a restaurant.

Chips/French Fries: Actually borderline overrated. I mean I do enjoy them, but I find them kind of boring. They're always served as a side...in America I had chips at least once or twice a day and by the end I had had enough. They just seem like an obligatory thing that goes with a burger or steak or something.

Ketchup: Totally overrated. I much prefer other sauces, even just mayo.

Hot dogs: Especially with the frankfurters, not all that great. The red skin makes me nauseous. I prefer clear skinned sausages barbequed.

As for sweets:

Honey: I find it TOO sweet

Mousse: Not satisfying, too airy to hold much flavour and just the most 'meh' dessert ever.

Sponge cake: Boring by itself, feels and tastes cheap compared to other kinds of cake.

Vanilla ice cream: Seriously, why choose vanilla if there are other flavours? Also not a fan of the basic chocolate or strawberry.
Pickiest eater ever...

As for me...
-Pretty much every kind of seafood. I'll only eat white fish, salmon, and breaded shrimp.
-Cottage Cheese...yuck. The only curded cheese I like are deep fried cheese balls.
-Salad...To make it edible i.e. tasty you have to add so much crap that you'd be better off eating a burger. At least then you'd get a huge serving of protein and essential minerals instead of good tasting empty calories.
-Bread Stuffing/dressing...Not sure why, but I don't like stuffing/dressing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink