Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 11:16 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,249,582 times

Advertisements

Caviar tastes like salty, fishy slime; raw oysters like seawater; clams have a metallic flavor; soft-shelled crabs have no taste at all or maybe a little like seaweed, unlike Maryland crab meat or steamed hard-shelled crabs which are dee-lish.

Capers and pine nuts which the TV cook shows rave about are simply unpleasant, and the reason I don't like Mexican food is cumin. At the risk of being offensive, cumin reminds me of the odor of unwashed armpits. And anything overly spicy like jalapenos just ruins whatever food flavor it's supposed to enhance. Can't understand how people love to eat something that causes pain.

I'd throw carrots into the mix but they're not universally highly-rated to begin with.

The only highly-rated drink I detest is cognac.

What say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 11:23 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times
Most of those 'super foods' are overrated. Like goji berries etc. People think they are eating all these healthy foods just because they are high in concentration of healthy things. Your body does not require those high concentrations, and you can easily get what you need from regular local foods. Not to mention, the cost to ship and the environmental impacts it takes to just get those 'super foods'.

I'm also a firm believe that protein shakes and other supplements are a complete waste of time and money, way overrated.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:28 AM

2,222 posts, read 3,600,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I'm also a firm believe that protein shakes and other supplements are a complete waste of time and money, way overrated.
Gotta disagree there, when I was drinking the shakes and lifting weights I saw huge gains in muscle mass.

Anyway, to answer the question: Lasagna. People seem to love it, I only tolerate it if it's made right.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:34 AM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Gotta disagree there, when I was drinking the shakes and lifting weights I saw huge gains in muscle mass.
Whey protein has been analyzed and concluded that it digests too fast for your body to recognize it as a protein, and thus a 24 gram serving is more like 12 grams. In my own experience the best way to get the nutrition you require is through food.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:50 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,972,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Caviar tastes like salty, fishy slime; raw oysters like seawater;
That's why they're good...

Old 01-19-2014, 11:54 AM

808 posts, read 1,878,295 times
Cake. Why do children eat cake for their birthday when pie and ice cream is clearly superior?

Potatoes. Why is this the standard side dish in so many types of cuisines? If it requires salt, butter and cream to taste good, maybe we should be using a different staple food.

"Mexican" and "Chinese" food. Such a tragedy to see two of the World's most diverse cuisines reduced to cheap take out filler, at least in America.

Truffles - So you shave a little bit of this mushroom onto my dish and expect me to pay double for it? Pass.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:25 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,986,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red4ce View Post
Potatoes. Why is this the standard side dish in so many types of cuisines? If it requires salt, butter and cream to taste good, maybe we should be using a different staple food.
Cheap, plentiful, filling. Allows for smaller portions of more expensive proteins.

Quote:
"Mexican" and "Chinese" food. Such a tragedy to see two of the World's most diverse cuisines reduced to cheap take out filler, at least in America.
Couldn't agree more, especially Mexican since even many of the regional cuisines are barely represented in the US. And most of it is recognizable. "Real" Chinese though... Chinese have an appreciation for glutenous textures that's over my head. But there would be more and better noodle dishes. IMO, spices are mostly all wrong in Americanized versions.

My picks are:
- pancakes/waffles
- boneless anything. Bones add flavor. Lots of it.
- chicken breasts. The least tasty part of the chicken.
- turkey
- farmed fish
- quinoa. I've cooked it a lot. Might be healthier than other grains/starches. But, meh.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:29 PM
MJ7

Quote:
Cake. Why do children eat cake for their birthday when pie and ice cream is clearly superior?

Truffles - So you shave a little bit of this mushroom onto my dish and expect me to pay double for it? Pass.
There are some great places, although rare there really are some great places, just have to be willing to spend a few more dollars. The majority of places are terrible though.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:30 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Caviar = eating boogers/snot that taste fishy.

Tabasco, Frank's, Crystal and their ilk are nothing but peppered vinegar. Vinegar overwhelms and has no place on any food I'm enjoying.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:37 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Caviar was my first thought as well. To each his/her own, however ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Cheap, plentiful, filling. Allows for smaller portions of more expensive proteins.
Potatoes also are a fresh food that winter over well, important in colder climates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink