Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 10:24 AM

41,963 posts, read 75,205,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Get any of those $20 blenders here while you save your money for, say, a Blendtec.. although I think they're expensive, the durability and utility will be worthwhile if you keep it for 10+ years. Hopefully you'd saved enough for one when the $20 blender goes..
I've had my $20 Hamilton Beach blender for almost 30 years. Talk about durability and utility ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 03:11 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,378,166 times
Thats all my wife buys is KitchenAid-the large mixer is a beast-it was her grandmothers, I believe she bought it in the 70's and it's still working great.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:37 PM

19,218 posts, read 16,701,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talloolla View Post
Although I yearn for a vitamix someday, we purchased a Ninja about 2 years ago and am very happy with it's performance. it is used AT LEAST once a day and does a great job on ice. It is not perfect, but for the $$$$ paid, I think it was a bargain.
Nice to see a CD member who has a Ninja and likes it. I've been waffling back and forth between the Ninja or the new NutriBullet.

Would you mind sharing what you don't like about it? (that is, if you ever come back to this thread)

Old 12-30-2012, 09:16 PM

121 posts, read 301,800 times
depends on your needs ....... i would research on consumer reports also read reviews on amazon.

you can go cheap to high end ..... if you use it a lot for multipurpose check out the nija and vitamix and blendtec I hear kitchen Aid is a good brand.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:38 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
I use my Vitamix at least once a day, usually twice. We all eat much healthier now and for that reason alone the Vitamix is worth the price.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:46 PM

Thanks for the comments.

I would like a Vitamix but it's more than my budget will allow. From what I've been reading my two choices (so far) are the ones I mentioned. The Ninja would probably get more use because it has attachments, like the paddle wheel (good for making dough).

I will definitely check out consumer reports for their recommendation, too. They are a good source as is "consumersearch."

Old 12-31-2012, 03:01 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,474,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Nice to see a CD member who has a Ninja and likes it. I've been waffling back and forth between the Ninja or the new NutriBullet.

Would you mind sharing what you don't like about it? (that is, if you ever come back to this thread)
Hi Hereonmars!

We still have our Ninja, actually 2 now. A blue that was the original and then a black set that does not work as well as our first for some reason. I know they keep changing them.
Things I don't like:
* The machine is loud. Grinding ice is awfully loud.
* The containers have become etched so they look cloudy. We go take them to health events and they
just don't look clean to me,even though I know they are.
* If you over fill the small container, the liquid will find it's way into the gear where you attach the motor. It is a nuisance to clean, especially if you are the only one who does.
* Even though the large container comes with two blades, it does not puree as smooth. You may find a larger piece of food or ice in your finished product.

I have to say that I did splurge on a Vitamix a few months ago because my food processer broke. I could only find a Cuisineart processer and vowed I would not buy from them again so I felt the Vitamix would give me what I needed. There is no comparison in these two machines BUT the prices are not even close. I still use the Ninja for thicker items like hummus or peanut butter because the Vitamix has fixed blades so it is harder to get non-pourable food out. I also bought the dry grinding container to make my own flours since we are eating healthier these day.

I was leery of the longevity of the Ninja since it is mostly plastic, but I think it does a great job for the price tag. I can't speak for the magic bullit. Let us know what you decide ! Happy New Year to you!

Old 12-31-2012, 03:16 PM

Thank you! What great information. It's a shame the container isn't glass. I have an old Waring blender from the 70's and I still use it, occasionally. The container is glass and still looks good.

The Ninja 1100 has good reviews and I like that it comes with a large and small pitcher. It has a paddle for making dough and although I'm not sure how much I'd use it, I might be more inclined to do it. I don't have a lot of fancy kitchen equipment. I hate when I have to use one machine for this and another for that.

Like you, my reasons are for health benefits ... and for saving money by making it myself. I feel better when I know what ingredients are in my food. Too much processing and I see the toll it's taking on people's health.

I checked out the Nutribullet last night and watched a lot of videos for both the NB and Ninja. For the money, I'm leaning towards the Ninja.

I appreciate you coming back and giving your opinion on the machines. It's really helpful to read from a member on CD rather than taking the word of an anonymous review on an advertisers website. I never know for sure if they are real consumers or just staff members making up reviews to sell products. Guess that's the skeptic in me.

Thanks again and Happy New Year!

Old 01-01-2013, 09:50 AM

3,044 posts, read 5,002,336 times
I've got the commercial Waring MX1000XTX. Highly recommended. It's about the equivalent of the Blendtec or Vitamix, with a 3.5hp motor. Having used the Magic Bullet, Ninja 1000, Oster, KitchenAid, none of them compare. On sale, the Waring can be had for $250.

Pros:
Heavy Duty. Metal parts where it matters. Plastic parts are solid
Slow acceleration. Causes the contents to spin before speeding up so no tamping required
Triple gasket lid. Food never spills out. Didn't realize how great this was until I used this blender
Manual switch. Hi/Lo and pulse. I've never had to use high.

Cons:
Bit pricey
Heavy. The base probably weighs 15lbs
Big. This thing takes up space.

I doubt I'll ever need another blender, but if I do, I'm buying another commercial blender. No more half pulverized seeds, bits of fiber, or shaking of the container any more. The home blenders all feel really cheap now.

Use one. You'll be sold.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:41 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post

My wife bought me a Ninja Pulse for Christmas. Special at Bed,Bath & Beyond. For protein shakes and smoothies.

Absolutely love it. It is the model selected as best smoothie maker by one of the budget best buy web sites.

Ninja® Kitchen System Pulse - Bed Bath & Beyond

If you go to BBB, sign in first for the 20% off coupon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink