Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2012, 05:44 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,015,238 times

Advertisements

Theoretically, eating shouldn't be that complicated. Well, nutrition is complicated, that's true and social customs about food are complicated as well as diversity of tastes. But in practical life, eating should be about your preferences right?

However, as with many domains in human life, people can attach connotation (positive or negative attitudes) with it. So people will eat things that are not their preferences, for social reasons.

A few examples:

People who eat things to show off being a gourmet or cultured, or rich, rather than liking the food itself (perhaps a food they wouldn't choose if no one was watching or if they ate at home). Or conversely, someone choosing not to eat them, as to not look like a snob in front of others.

People who do not like the taste of alcohol but still drink because they are at a party. Or just, choosing to eat any of the food provided just to fit in.

People who like foods that are considered unusual (for example from another culture) but these foods might "look odd" if others see them at the lunch room at work, so they don't bring them. Likewise, if you asked many kids who ate "ethnic food" growing up, you often hear them mention how their food was made fun of as weird so they chose to eat other foods to look "more normal".

People who either like or don't like the taste of something but force themselves to eat or not eat it because it is popular in the social circle or culture where they reside, and eating/not eating it makes them stand out.

How strong do you feel "social reasons" have to you, regarding food and drink and how strongly do you think they influence our culture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 06:07 PM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times
I cannot say that I eat or drink for social reasons. In a company I would not intentionally show off being a gourmet, but I would eat what I like and what I would order when eating alone.
I also eat a lot of odd, ethnic food, and don't really care if someone thinks that's gross. So long it does not smell offending, I will eat whatever I please. No one has to look at it, but I would be more than happy to share with anyone who wanted to taste it. What usually upsets me are nasty comments about food that other people never tried, but think they can comment on it.
Your last statement really do not apply to me. I would try pretty much everything what is considered a human food, and I am very open to try things I never had opportunity to try before. However after I make my mind, I might never eat it again

Old 03-13-2012, 07:57 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Eating can be a very social thing. I definitely if you are invited to a dinner party or even just a casual dinner, and you do not find the food appealing, you are likely just to make a show of it and pretend you at least enjoyed the food, as not to offend the host. This seems to apply to most cultures. The minority who do refrain from eating or say they didn't like the food are often seen as rude and un-gracious. Personally, I have nothing wrong with somebody having an honest opinion about my food if it's sincere. But that hasn't happened yet. I think it's because I hold my cooking to such a high standard: usually if someone else thinks it's bad, I think it's terrible. I actually have a pretty sensitive 'palate' so I've eaten at other people's places and if the food is not good I just say 'it's okay, it's not too bad,' I don't rave about it or anything.

But yes, I think there are some who eat or say they enjoy certain food for it's snob value, or because it's popular to like it. I wonder if that applies to seafood? I think a lot of seafood is an acquired taste, and I wonder if some eat it just to appear populist or like a gourmand. Especially say caviar.

Drinking alcohol is another example. Alcohol too is an acquired taste: children seldom enjoy the taste of beer, for instance, so I don't think the taste of alcohol is something we would naturally be drawn to.

But yeah, it inspired another thread, very related, about the role of society on our preferences. Like for instance, I don't think men do not innately prefer the taste of beer anymore than women, but since they've grown used to drinking it, they will come to like it more.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:14 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
I suppose I often eat stuff I don't particularily enjoy to be polite and "sociable". Often you go to dinner parties and someone has made something you don't really like and I would never dream of turning it down.

For example Lamb and cooked Spinach do not agree with me physically and for some unfortunate reasons a lot of people will cook those two for Dinner so I just eat it and smile when I would rather not. If it isn't going to kill me or make me very ill then I just grin and bear it. A little stomach discomfort is not the end of the world.

I don't drink alcohol but if someone is raising a toast in celebration I will have a glass of Champagne despite not enjoying it in the slightest. Everyone knows I don't drink but
always forgets as it is so unusual in Britain.

As for "social snobbery eating" no that is one thing I am not guilty of. I could not care less what is "trendy" when it comes to eating. I adore Sashimi and Foie gras because it tastes wonderful not because some people think it is a social "must". I have never been a "follower" and peer pressure has never worked on me. If it had I would now be smoking, drinking, and probably taking drugs whilst being sexually incontinent....

Eating something I don't like to be polite to me is simply good manners and shows respect for someone cooking for me. eating because it is considered to be cool is simply ridiculous IMO.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:17 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,928,376 times
i eat what i like . When you say social reasons do you mean to fit in or impress people? That I dont do.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:58 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,046,326 times
When I went vegan/raw/living food for an entire year... I was astounded at how many situations came up where I felt pressured to eat food that I didn't want to eat and chose not to eat. Visiting friends, family gatherings, celebrations, public events, even sampling things at various public places... People gave me all kinds of reasons why I needed to or should eat that S.A.D. (standard American diet) stuff... it's like they were offended or worried that I had developed an eating disorder... they took it personally. My personal choice regarding what I wanted to fuel my own body with was offensive to them somehow. It was bizarre.

Society pushes food on us without our even really realizing it.

It's amazing that we have hungry people at all in this country. We have children who go without food in this country, while the rest of us stuff our faces without even truly knowing what we're even consuming, or how much we're consuming. It's crazy.

It's not really until you make a conscious choice to abide by a certain lifestyle that goes against current established social norms, that you realize how hard it is to go against the current established social norms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink