Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 10:25 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,318,139 times

Advertisements

Have your "tastes" and eating-habits changed a lot through the years? (Since you were a kid?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 05:44 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,859,201 times
Not so much my tastes, as I still dislike the few foods that I didn't like as a child. I never cared for nuts, raisins, and cantaloupe, and I still don't like them.

However, I don't eat meat at all now but being vegetarian is a lifestyle change rather than a change in taste.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:38 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,226,477 times
Tastes, no. Eating habits, yes. I try to eat healthier, (more fresh fruits & vegetables, less red meat), and avoid things I used to eat as a kid like Twinkies.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:25 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,878,541 times
When I was a kid I drank Dr Pepper like water. Now I can't stand the smell of the stuff, it's like cough medicine.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:43 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
It used to be I wanted whatever was the biggest I could get for my money. Now, it's what's the smallest. Like in a restaurant, I want to know what is the smallest steak they have, or if I can have a half portion of something. Anymore, after a few bites I've had enough. If I get a baked potato, I do not want a bunch of butter or cheese on it. I want it plain. If I get a baked sweet potato, I do not want sugar on it. If I get salad, I don't want cheese on it. I like things plainer than I used to.
Don't think I'm some good chronic dieter, because I'm not. I could definitely lose a few pounds, and I have a lot of food vices, but just not as many as I used to.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:33 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,177,954 times
Yes, actually quite a bit.

Growing up my cooking tastes were based on Northern/Central Europe...Germany & Poland and touch of France. So a lot of potatos and rye bread. Never lost the taste for that good dense Polish/Lithuanian rye bread, and I still eat it today (tho its hard to find).

btw 1988 and 2009 I had a partner who was chicano and really liked to cook. So he cooked very tex-mex/southwesterr/frontera style. The basic starch was rice in his cooking, which I rarely had growing up (the startch stape was potatos). AND he was really agressive with hotter spices..various peppers, hot sauces, etc....

Near the end he was getting into Indian food and was experimenting with Indian and SE Asian cooking and flavors.

So those 20 some years with him was an education in food and a big change from the earlier years from my life. I developed a liking for spicey/hot food that way.

But since I cant duplicate his cooking Im moving back to the European style, still with a taste for herbs and spices, though, so I still use a lot of this in my cooking. Also using more things like cloves, nutmeg, allspice, cinammon, honey, maple syrup, mace, and tarragon in cooking, for breakfast cooking.

Breakfast has become big deal since my partner passed. We never had breakfast on weekdays and ate out a lot on weekends, but over the past two to three years since his passing Ive reintroduced this meal into my life, but spicing it up as I noted above. Ive done a lot of experimenting with this, making my own home-made apple jacks, for instance (using cut-up apples and cheerios, and the spices and honey).

So yeah...as circumstances change tastes and foodways change...sure, I thats the way it was with me...

Old 04-24-2012, 10:34 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,177,954 times
Quote:
It used to be I wanted whatever was the biggest I could get for my money. Now, it's what's the smallest. Like in a restaurant, I want to know what is the smallest steak they have, or if I can have a half portion of something.
Hello! Same here!!!

Old 04-24-2012, 10:36 AM

914 posts, read 1,807,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Have your "tastes" and eating-habits changed a lot through the years? (Since you were a kid?)

Wow, this is a good thread. Well, I don't really recall the foods I had when I was young lass besides rice and meat. However! I can't stand the taste of beer. I have evolved into a snotty little wine drinker. I loved beer. Any light or dark beer I would drink and it would taste delicious. I can't stand it now. I only drink wine.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:32 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
Things I liked as kid I don't like now. I used to like Bologna and butter sandwiches now I will only eat the bologna. I used to love pork chops as a kid, now I despise them. Ravioli in the can was a favorite of mine as a kid. I bought a few years ago because I had not had it in so long. It was awful.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:16 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,661,494 times
Drastically. As a kid, I grew up with standard American food--hamburgers, pork chops, desserts, coldcuts, etc... Now, I seldom eat any of that, except maybe dessert once in a while. Mostly vegie, but still some poultry in there (for husband). We don't eat a lot of processed foods either. Being in health care and seeing the nutrition related problems/lifestyle related that can occur I guess really pointed me in a different direction, more healthier foods over the years. But, I'm not a holier than thou type who likes to push my beliefs on others, just that it pays to eat healthier long term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink