Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 04:18 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,129,735 times

Advertisements

You know, the one hipsters, yuppies, and metropolitan DINKs are raving about? What Thai food was at the beginning of last decade?

One possible contender is Ethiopian food. Although practically unknown up here, from what I hear, in some metro areas ordering an "Ethiopian platter" is "cool". Whether it's cool or not, it is delicious.

Somebody mentioned Peruvian food. I never though of this myself, but it seems like ceviche (which is not limited to Peru but seems to natively exist as far north as Mexico) has been making a lot of waves in the past few years.

From your view, what is "cool" right now in the food world? Where do the hipsters and urban sophisticates flock in droves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 05:15 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,685,644 times
I don't know...
Eating just one specific, ethnic trend is sooooo... un"worldly" & "narrow minded".

When exposure to "all" / "most" taste buds are key to learning the most of foods.

World travels & world foods man... not just Thai / Brazilian / Italian etc..

Old 04-11-2012, 09:09 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
Everything I see is "fusion" cuisine, like sushi tacos, or tapas, meaning little plates of appetizers. I think there is more to come on this....

Old 04-11-2012, 09:13 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
I vote Austro-Hungarian food. Schnitzel and goulash...highly underrated.

I'm joking, but truthfully, one of the most well-regarded of the recently opened restaurants in this metro is actually an Austrian place.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:24 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,932,094 times
I hate fusion places. They never seem to master anything and most of the time are gimmicky.

Current trendy food would also probably be Korean/Korean BBQ.

Peruvian is good, they're also very well known for charcoal grilled chicken, which if you've ever had at a Pervuvian place that knows what they're are doing, is down right amazing.

I think the next trend will be American. Many heirloom foods and livestock that our great grandparents ate will be brought back from the verge of extinction . Maybe we can also finally get things on the menu like squirrel, gator from down south, ossabaw pigs that are only found in Georgia, and other more game type meats and rare breeds that only come from the US.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:40 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,547,939 times
Could be Peruvian.

Four years ago I couldn't name one Peruvian restaurant. In the last couple of years they seem to be springing up all over. I'm not surprised, though. The food is delicious--fresh, and a unique blend of multiple cuisines.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:30 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Ethiopian food has been "cool" for quite some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I vote Austro-Hungarian food. Schnitzel and goulash...highly underrated.
Yum. And Polish food! Viva la pierogi!

Old 04-12-2012, 06:38 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,358,115 times
I've been a fan of Ethiopian food for twenty years or more. Not sure I understand why it matters if a certain cuisine is cool or trendy.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:15 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Of course we live somewhere that is not a trend setter (not totally true, we just set a trend for top football coaches to get fired. ) but of course Indian is making a huge impact right now. What is next? who knows, but I would love to see Polish or Hungarian food become the "in" thing.

Nita

Old 04-12-2012, 08:46 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,041,600 times
The trends in the past few years in my experience (restaurant industry worker in Boston) have been the rise of the gastropub, which allow chefs to borrow liberally from all sorts of cuisines. Also, craft cocktail programs are huge right now (if sometimes misnamed), the small plates thing doesn't seem to be going anywhere as the line between the dining room and the bar is all but eliminated, and the days of the formal restaurant is going by way of the dinosaur--a lot of chefs are doing high-end, highly-refined food at a high price point, but they do it in a more relaxed atmosphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink