Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 11:33 AM

973 posts, read 915,892 times

Advertisements

I miss it. Grew up in CA, but have been in the Midwest & East coast for the past 3 years. Whenever I fly back to CA, I'll try to make a stop by In-n-Out. Are there better burgers? Sure there are, but it's hard to find a quality burger + fries + drink for ~5 or 6 bucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 01:25 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,125,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
In-N-Out is the Chick-fil-A of burgers, it is safe to say. The secret to the taste are the raw onions. Everything else everybody has.
This is right.

Had Shake Shack for the first time today. Highly disappointed! Overpriced and small. I'm not sure I've seen a smaller bun before. Tried the ShackChicken to, and while I liked the composition....chic fila is still best

Old 11-12-2017, 11:56 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,769,355 times
I get a double double customized, hold the salt, hold the dressing, raw onion, toasted bun...but I also like Carl's Jr Angus beef burger and get it customized too. Don't get either one too often as I don't drive now.

Old 11-12-2017, 12:27 PM

983 posts, read 1,182,171 times
I routinely indulge when in PHX or Vegas

They have a good thing going and a double double animal style and fries is about the best fastest 'fast food' burger you are going to get anywhere.

That's why they are so successful.

sadly they do not franchise and will not have a store that's further than a 12-24 hour drive from one of their main warehouses / distribution centers. So unlikely they are going to be expanding anywhere further out than the existing stores in the SW and Kali Vegas areas

here in WA state we have a wanna be chain called Dicks burgers.
They have a huge loyal following - but I have tried them a few times and absolutely NOT inpressed.
They make there burgers 1 single way w/ all toppings added and you cannot specify: no pickles - no sauce or whatever. take it or leave it one way or the highway. What kind of business model is that for a fast food burger chain ?

And their fries OMG - yes they are fresh cut, but the skimpiest of small order ( 1 single size - no med or large ) and they are limp and not snappy = just gross fries.

I am amazed at their ability to draw and keep customers - it boggles my mind.

Old 11-12-2017, 01:04 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,532,554 times
^^^Dick’s is GROSS, that’s the only consistent thing about it. Cardboard with ketchup. Ugh. Nasty.

Old 11-12-2017, 01:34 PM

983 posts, read 1,182,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
^^^Dick’s is GROSS, that’s the only consistent thing about it. Cardboard with ketchup. Ugh. Nasty.
Yea - I am not sure how they have the loyal following they do.

I understand how the University of WA area Dicks on 45th st is successful as you have a ton of college aged kids with no cars to travel to a better spot for a burger.

But they have opened up another few locations that I guess are doing well. It truly boggles my mind.

I love a greasy burger and I even enjoy the rare occasional McDs or Wendys hamburger ( for what they are - instant calories and cheap )

A Dicks Deluxe and fries is over 5 bucks and they are actually a skimpy burger. I can easily knock off 2 of them and I am not piggish. I know they sell milkshakes there ( me = not a shake or pop guy ) so I just want a burger and fries and always have a bottle water with me.

My go to fast food burger here in the Seattle area is Wendys.

There are a couple local private places / non chain places I know of and have tried their burgers.
But when they are double / triple the cost of the same thing Wendys will sell me and not really that much better ... I will usually opt for best value.

Now if I am having a sit down inside burger ... I know the few local places that do OK in that dept. Nothing super great, but worth paying 10-11 bucks for a nice burger and fries.

Old 11-12-2017, 02:13 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,769,355 times
I found In N Out when the double double was $2.60.

The one at LAX has a little park and I used to my little grandkids for a picnic there and they could almost touch the planes coming in. Such fun in those days.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:05 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,187,841 times
We used to live in a city in California that had two. The freshest fast food burger and fries you could buy, and the prices were cheap! We moved to a state where there isn't a single In N Out anywhere. We're headed back to California for Thanksgiving, I think we may have to stop at In N Out while we're in town.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:31 PM

7,826 posts, read 4,570,108 times
I have the burgerdom good fortune (or caloric misfortune) of living in something of a Hamburger Golden Triangle in Scottsdale, AZ where, within a 15 min drive, I can hit In-N-Out, Whataburger, Culvers, Five Guys, Shake Shack, Steak and Shake, Smashburger, Portillos, all the lesser chains and a handful of local operations and in my humblest of opinions I offer that In-N-Out gets a fair amount of my business for the following reasons. Value, because for $7 you can snag a Double Double w/fries and a drink. Is it the best sandwich out there? No, but you'd be hard pressed to find better and fresher ingredients for the money. If you're charging $12 or so for a burger alone like Shack Shack and (anymore) Five Guys, it's pretty easy to make the equation work.

Operationally I-N-O does a great job of cleanliness and they seem to treat their employees exceptionally well, with tuition assistance and, I understand, managers at busy stores (aren't they all) can pull down near six figure salaries. This is not to say they don't have their flaws. Par cooking their fries would help a lot, but it is what it is.

If there were no I-N-O, you'd probably find me at Culver's for the Butterburgers & custard shakes. If I go into wolf mode, oddly Whatabuger is strangely satisfying (Texans I know swear by the place). The rest are just something of a blur. My all-star meal would be a I-N-O Double-Double, Steak and Shake fries and a Culver milkshake (Blackberry please)

At the end of the day, different courses for different horses.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:41 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,267,796 times
No In-N-Out here. I only get to have it when I go to California!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink