Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 01:39 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,066 times

Advertisements

So what is the strangest, most odd food you've ever eaten? For me I've had caviar and it was like tasting a salt lick. I've had squid and octopus and actually liked them. However the worst ever was when my mom made cow's tongue. And then I got it for lunch the next day!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 01:43 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
I had alligator in Florida once for lunch. This was back in 1996. I have not had it again.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:47 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,516,173 times
Goat soup with lots of innards and bile, and pig head with brains. The former was okay, but the latter was wonderful.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:48 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,888,406 times
I like Gator.
Once, my m-i-law made me a sandwich. It was delicious! The meat was sooooooooo tender!! After I was done she told me it was beef tongue!!!

Old 06-25-2012, 01:48 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
When I was shopping in a meat market years ago one of the employees was handing out samples of little cubes of something on toothpicks. It was the most digusting thing I ever put in my mouth, and only after everyone tried it did he tell us what it was....BLOOD PUDDING.

To this day it makes me sick to think about it.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:49 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_loves_to_cook View Post
So what is the strangest, most odd food you've ever eaten? For me I've had caviar and it was like tasting a salt lick. I've had squid and octopus and actually liked them. However the worst ever was when my mom made cow's tongue. And then I got it for lunch the next day!!
My first experience and luckily one of me few was with caviar. We were at a business dinner when I was probably 27 or 28. it was a very upscale club ane everything was done to profection Of course the big bosses and thier wives were there (I think there were about 20 or so of us) anyway here came the appitizers, I took this little thing on a small piece of toast and OMG..I didn't know what to do, I couldn't spit it out and embarras by husband and myself, I knew if I swallowed it I would die for sure and if I tried to wash it down with my drink I would choke for certain. Then, to the rescue came the wives of the executives: they were all wrapping theirs in their napkins.

Since then almost 50 years have come and gone, I have eaten many unusual things. As a kid we ate every part (almost of the cow) yes, tongue and neckbones. I loved neckbones. Today, I will order frog legs whenever they are on the menu.

At our daughters wedding the grooms mom wanted to bring a very special Jewish appitizer: While we were in the reception line, a friend decided to get me a plate of food, knowing I was hot, tired, hungry and had probably had a drink of two. Well on the plate was something that resembled a pinwheel. it was really tasty, later I learned it was the special food my son in laws mom brought: Any of you who are Jewish will know what it was, I don't remember the name of it, but I do know what part of the cow it came from

Old 06-25-2012, 01:49 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,888,406 times
^^^That's a pretty sneaky thing to spring on unsuspecting shoppers, imho.
Oops, one post snuck in ahead of me...I meant this about the blood pudding post.

Last edited by mrs.cool; 06-25-2012 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 06-25-2012, 01:52 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
My first experience and luckily one of me few was with caviar. We were at a business dinner when I was

At our daughters wedding the grooms mom wanted to bring a very special Jewish appitizer: While we were in the reception line, a friend decided to get me a plate of food, knowing I was hot, tired, hungry and had probably had a drink of two. Well on the plate was something that resembled a pinwheel. it was really tasty, later I learned it was the special food my son in laws mom brought: Any of you who are Jewish will know what it was, I don't remember the name of it, but I do know what part of the cow it came from
Kishka!

Old 06-25-2012, 01:53 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
Armadillo.

I win.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:55 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
^^^That's a pretty sneaky thing to spring on unsuspecting shoppers, imho.
Oops, one post snuck in ahead of me...I meant this about the blood pudding post.

It was, but I learned my lesson. I never sample anything unless I know what it is!

One of my uncles hunts, and he likes to tell people "try this!" and after they eat it he tells them it is possum, groundhog, raccoon, squirrel, or something.

For my cousin's open house he put all that stuff out on the buffet table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink