Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 10:26 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,444,028 times

Advertisements

I'm reading about strange and unusual foods (well, strange and unusual to me, at least), such as raw camel meat in Ethiopia and whole fried baby chickens in the Philippines.

What is the strangest, most unusual food you have ever eaten? I'm trying to think, but I'm not sure I've ever eaten anything strange and unusual.

Watch this video. I think I could go for the fried baby chicken, but the cheese ice-cream in a hamburger bun looks revolting!

YouTube - Bizarre Foods: Philippines: Finger Food

Last edited by Woof Woof Woof!; 05-20-2009 at 10:58 PM.. Reason: gots to fix my grammar!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 10:28 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,280,717 times
Yuck!!!

Old 05-21-2009, 04:23 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,621,508 times
A few things which spring to mind :

Marmot in Mongolia ( horrible) NEVER EVER AGAIN unless I am absolutely starving
Rotten Shark's Meat in Iceland ( Horrible) Never again even if I am starving
Ram's Testicles in Iceland ( not that great)
Boiled Cow's hoof with the hair still on it in Ethipia ( Horrible)
Blood fresh from the neck of a cow in Kenya , nicer than you would think, very irony though a bit clotty
Grubs in the Amazon - Very Nice
Crickets in the Amazon - Very Nice
Treetop Monkey - Quite nice if a bit chewy
Roasted Ants- Very Nice
Caterpillars -Very nice

Horse Meat -Delicious
Tree-Rat in Papua New Guinea and Malaysia - Very nice
Puffin - Very Odd and not that Great
Seal Blubber and Intestines in Northern Quebec and Greenland - Horrible, found it hard to keep it down

Old 05-21-2009, 06:24 AM

Mooseketeer,

I'm flabbergasted. I don't know what to say.

So many questions...

W.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:27 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,484,723 times
I suppose most people would find porcupine a bit strange to eat. I also like beaver, it's quite good, but I don't think many people eat it.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:13 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,828,610 times
If you have seen it in the forest, I have proabably eaten it.

Turtle is quite good.

Haven't ever eaten an owl.

Squirrel, rabbit, deer, raw horse meat, raw sea bream..still alive... it watched me eat it....
Sushi - pretty much every type known to mankind. Fugu (yes, the fish that kills you), candied grasshoppers, sea squirts. Freshwater mussels (those were gross, kind of filled with a wihite goo, much like flour paste), barnacles, sparrows cooked on a straightened coat hanger. Opossum, shrimp in the shell (scratchy, VERY scratchy - need lots of beer to wash them down (and I think that's the point of eating it that way), raw oysters, raw squid (which tastes & has the constistency of eating bacon fat...I think that's the best way to describe it.

And conch. Conch is an aquired taste. There's a fleshy "white part" (muscle) and there the squishy green part (not muscle.) You're supposed to eat both. The green part was so bitter, I almost puked.
There's also some grileld fish dishes in Japan where you eat the whole fish, intestines and all. It's also quite bitter, since in essence, you're eating fish guts and fish poo. I just eat around the stomach part. Yeah, I tried it, but I couldn't get past eating the poo. Which is sort of funny, because if you don't devein shrimp, you're also eating shrimp poo.

Shrimp are the ocean's cockroaches. Somone told me that once, and everytime I eat shrimp, I think of that. Man, I love me some oceanic cockroaches! And squirrels are just rats with big, bushy tails that live in trees. So, in essence - I've eaten tree rats.

Last edited by 70Ford; 05-21-2009 at 06:23 PM..

Old 05-21-2009, 06:39 PM

I've eaten some wild stuff at sushi bars, but I don't remember what it was! Somebody else was ordering!

Old 05-22-2009, 03:15 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,625,470 times
baloo, eww gross! never again!

Old 05-22-2009, 08:42 AM

Interesting that Mooseketeer says the bugs are nice. I wonder if they taste like shrimp?

Old 05-22-2009, 08:49 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,682,650 times
The vegetarian in the room is getting dizzy, seeing stars.....floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink