Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 05:36 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,700,776 times

Advertisements

Eastern North Carolinia BBQ! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 05:04 PM

1 posts, read 829 times
While I can't say I have experience boiling in hot grease, I imagine that it would be neither pain free nor instantaneous.
I Hope the chefs have had the insight to snap the little guys' necks first, not only for the chick, but also for the consumer of the chick meat.
This is because, as we know from our own bodies' experience, and scientific research, when an animal (including humans), suffers pain, a variety of very jolting fight or flight hormones gush forth from all the glands and into the bloodstream, infusing the cells with the biological chemicals of fear and pain (in this case the meat of the babe chicken).
There is clearly a lot of truth to the saying, "You are what you eat". So I personally would not want to eat something infused with the biological compounds of pain. A little compassion can go a long way. . God Bless.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:06 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,986,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
A few things which spring to mind :

Marmot in Mongolia ( horrible) NEVER EVER AGAIN unless I am absolutely starving
Rotten Shark's Meat in Iceland ( Horrible) Never again even if I am starving
Ram's Testicles in Iceland ( not that great)
Boiled Cow's hoof with the hair still on it in Ethipia ( Horrible)
Blood fresh from the neck of a cow in Kenya , nicer than you would think, very irony though a bit clotty
Grubs in the Amazon - Very Nice
Crickets in the Amazon - Very Nice
Treetop Monkey - Quite nice if a bit chewy
Roasted Ants- Very Nice
Caterpillars -Very nice

Horse Meat -Delicious
Tree-Rat in Papua New Guinea and Malaysia - Very nice
Puffin - Very Odd and not that Great
Seal Blubber and Intestines in Northern Quebec and Greenland - Horrible, found it hard to keep it down
I hope I've never in a position to have to eat fermented blubber or shark, but if memory serves, Zimmern was able to choke those down, while not being able to stomach durian, and I can reluctantly choke down some durian, so maybe...

You didn't say if the bugs were fried. I've had fried grasshopper and maguey worms and they were tasty. Not sure if I could handle them 'raw'.

I don't get the fear of horse meat. Pretty common in So. Europe. Testes are nice grilled although don't taste like much.

I'll try anything, once. Only thing other than durian that's made me gag in past decade was a spleen sandwich (vastedda) in Brooklyn. Couldn't get more than two bites down. Didn't think it would be so... awful.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:42 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
Armadillo. I win.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:57 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,986,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Armadillo. I win.
Only if it was roadkill of undetermined stage of decomposition

Old 02-05-2013, 06:47 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,769,512 times
Minke whale is delicious (but illegal in most countries).
Fried duck head is mixed bag - brains are like liver (good), but beak is inedible (bad).
Dried crickets are like eating unused toilet paper (silly).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink