Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 12:37 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,663,739 times

Advertisements

We were in Florida in a hotel and ordered a pizza. Now, how bad can a pizza be? It was a Cuban food menu so we ordered a Cuban pizza. Sounded good. I ate 2 bites and could not eat a bit more. I am not a fussy eater & can usually find a redeeming quality about most plates. This was like, literally, eating a piece of cardboard, hardly any sauce or cheese either. We laugh about it now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 12:48 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,377,352 times
It is difficult for me to find food I won't eat....but...awhile back, I had an eggroll, made with hamburger. It was the oddest thing I have ever had. Sort of like hamburger beef stew, with five spice seasoning, wrapped in an egg roll wrapper and fried. I suppose it is an acquired taste. I wanted to retch. The soup was even worse, Egg Drop Soup, with so much cornstarch, it was like glutinous paste, with frozen vegetable mix in it, and bright yellow food coloring. It gets better...the shrimp Kung Pow, the shrimp were not cleaned...and it was covered with brown sauce that reminded me of Hienz beef gravy.

Chinese food...Montana style. Don't ask.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:55 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,255,619 times
I had some sort of Asian-style soup at a restaurant once. It looked like someone had just steeped a dirty sock in some water, and I don't imagine the taste was far from that either. No matter what I added to it -- salt, pepper, hot sauce, soy sauce -- I just could not detect a hint of any kind of flavor. I almost got tennis elbow. It was almost magical. No matter what I put into it, the flavor would. not. change.

The bad part is, this place happens to be my dad's favorite restaurant.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:09 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,951,155 times
I was invited to a meal where the hostess served some type of thin gravy, with hardboiled egg pieces and chunks of unidentified meat floating in it. It tasted like raunchy raw egg.

I'm not a picky eater at all, but I couldn't eat more than one bite. And she is a fabulous cook, with the exception of that one dish.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:17 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,141,152 times
A combination arcade/restaurant. Ordered chicken and pasta. Was like a microwaved TV dinner, Only lower quality. Hands down, the worst ever meal I have had. If it was offered to a dog, the dog would have run away from home. Having gone to many restaurants over the years it was the only "bad' meal I have had fortunately.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:21 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,515,987 times
Oh I'm so sorry Upstate Nancy. Usually around the tourist areas in Florida the food is really, really BAD. Reason is that they don't need repeat customers. My husband and I will typically search for restaurants outside of a tourist area when we travel but sometimes its just not convenient to do that, especially when we're tired after a long day. Too bad, Cuban pizza sounds like it could have been really good.

Anyway, the very worst food I have ever tried to eat was a soft shell crab sushi roll. I am a real sushi lover too. In fact I often joke that I should have been a grizzly bear because of how much I love raw salmon. But this soft shell crab roll was so disgusting I honestly prefer to spare you of the horrific details. Just imagine what a crab might taste like - inside and raw. Blue, slimy and warm for starters and I'll stop there so as not to nauseate you. It was a tempura roll so I had wrongly assumed the inside of the crab would be cooked. Yikes, nope.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:28 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,839,192 times
We ordered hamburgers and fries at a place in Utah, and first bite of the hamburger, I almost spit it out. Fry sauce all over the burger. Fry sauce, I think is ketchup, and Mayonnaise mixed together. Something like that. I might be wrong because frankly, I can't stand it, and could really care less how it's made. Learned after that to specify, " No Fry Sauce!"

Old 02-10-2013, 02:28 PM

175 posts, read 315,445 times
I have eaten some, shall we say "exotic" cuisine, especially in the service. The weirdest and nastiest thing was in Honduras while in the Army. A Honderian soldier was going to treat us to a local delicacy, deep fried tarantulas. They tasted like chewy, crunchy mud.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:35 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,948,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
It is difficult for me to find food I won't eat
Chinese food...Montana style. Don't ask.
I'm just the opposite I have trouble finding food that tastes good to me.
As far as Chinese food in Montana goes there is a good place just south of Whitefish and Missoula has at least two that seem good. We usually go to "The China Buffet" it's a good deal and most of the food is quite good.
I've eaten at restaurants in "China Towns" all over the west coast and my dear old mum grew up in China so we are a little bit picky.
One of the Chinese eateries in Shelby isn't bad.

Now back to topic, One of the worst food I ever had was at one of the Hilton Hotel's Blue Canyon Grill. It was a thanksgiving Dinner Buffet. Yuck it was the worst Thanksgiving dinner I ever had.

I think the best meals I ever had was at The Brigantine on Shelter Island in San Diego.
Funny that one of my favorite sea-foods is a relative of the cockroach !!!

Old 02-10-2013, 02:57 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,255,619 times
These descriptions are making me sick!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink