Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 10:56 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
But you can easily pasteurize raw eggs yourself, which not only makes it safer to eat the mayonnaise or salad dressing or whatever you make with it, but also makes it keep longer in the fridge.

Here's one simple way:
How-to Pasteurize Eggs :: www.howtobaker.com
Zero interest, and I don't eat egg/mayo based dressings enough to bother with it. Lily's tastes good and it's reasonably priced. Lily's also has preservatives, which means it'll stay good in the fridge for over 3 weeks (which is about as long as it takes me to use up a bottle). Pasteurized or not, home-made dressings are not made to last that long, which means I'd -still- have to throw it away before I get even halfway through the batch. One batch = 1 raw egg. That's a lot of work, and a lot of waste, for a single egg. You can't make half a batch, because you can't buy crack open half an egg. I suppose I can do it with half an egg, then scramble the other half and eat it for breakfast, but again- that's a whole lot of work and effort for something as ridiculously mundane as caesar dressing. With Lily's, I can just - twist the top, and there it is!

As for mayo, I like Hellman's. I've tried the organic stuff. I don't like it. I wouldn't ever even consider making my own from scratch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 11:38 AM

14,108 posts, read 2,774,571 times
Wishbone Sweet & Spicy Red French.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:57 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I'm mostly a homemade dressing maker, but I do have to purchase the following every so often:

1) Cardini's Caesar Dressing (supposedly the original Caesar's recipe)

2) The triangle-shaped-bottle-whose-name-currently-escapes-me Caesar

3) Blush Wine Vinaigrette - Briannas , on a salad of baby spinach, goat cheese, and slivered almonds.

4) That yummy refrigerated bleu cheese stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
The triangle shaped bottle you refer to is Girard's. The Champagne is my favorite of this brand.

That yummy blue cheese stuff is most likely Marie's or Bob's Famous. Another childhood favorite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
OMG, that is the post I just made, it was about Girard's and yes, the Champagne, I had forgotten what kind it was as well. Thanks Bulldogdad.
Brilliant!! Thanks food geniuses!

Definitely Girard's. I don't love Marie's, I think it is Bob's that I buy. Bulldog is 2 for 2 today!!

Nita and I like a lot of the same foods.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:59 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,091,356 times
Marzetti asiago peppercorn!

Old 08-02-2012, 01:18 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You can get Green Goddess? I haven't been able to get it here for 20 years.

My parents used to love the original Seven Seas Green Goddess back in the 70's. It had anchovy in it.

Trader Joe's has an awesome dressing that is called Goddess, which doesn't have anchovy in it. Also I have had Annie's Goddess dressing, and it is vegan.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:50 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,889,568 times
I am a new convert to Ken's, never had it 'til visiting friends in Florida last January. LOVE the Sweet Vidalia Onion! I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it here. Even dh has switched to it from Western. I haven't had any of the other kinds, but I did buy a Thousand Island to try. Maybe tonight! At a restaurant I always order Bleu Cheese, and if I buy it I like Marie's and Marzetti's, but they're expensive. I found I really like Wish Bone chunky blue cheese. We also both like newman's Family Italian and Lite Honey Mustard.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:21 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Zero interest, and I don't eat egg/mayo based dressings enough to bother with it. Lily's tastes good and it's reasonably priced. Lily's also has preservatives, which means it'll stay good in the fridge for over 3 weeks (which is about as long as it takes me to use up a bottle). Pasteurized or not, home-made dressings are not made to last that long, which means I'd -still- have to throw it away before I get even halfway through the batch. One batch = 1 raw egg. That's a lot of work, and a lot of waste, for a single egg. You can't make half a batch, because you can't buy crack open half an egg. I suppose I can do it with half an egg, then scramble the other half and eat it for breakfast, but again- that's a whole lot of work and effort for something as ridiculously mundane as caesar dressing. With Lily's, I can just - twist the top, and there it is!

As for mayo, I like Hellman's. I've tried the organic stuff. I don't like it. I wouldn't ever even consider making my own from scratch.
In one of our foods and nutrition classes in college we made homemade mayo: I am with you on this one: there are some things I am just not about to make from scratch. If others want to good for them. We use Hellman's as well but I have been buying Aldi's brand some: it is similar and about 1/2 the price.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:29 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
OMG, that is the post I just made, it was about Girard's and yes, the Champagne, I had forgotten what kind it was as well. Thanks Bulldogdad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Brilliant!! Thanks food geniuses!

Definitely Girard's. I don't love Marie's, I think it is Bob's that I buy. Bulldog is 2 for 2 today!!

Nita and I like a lot of the same foods.

Word Up Food Peeps.

LOL

Old 08-02-2012, 02:45 PM

4,587 posts, read 4,216,957 times
My favorite is Ken's Country French with Orange Blossom Honey. I used to love Wishbone's Russian dressing but haven't seen it in stores for years. I would love to find some but most probably it is no longer made.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:09 PM

61,730 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Wishbone Light Italian is the only bottled one I buy. Normally I will mix one myself: love the Knorr salad mixes I can get at my local grocery store, International section.
Amazon.com: knorr salad: Grocery & Gourmet Food
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink