Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 08:37 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times

Advertisements

That's what going to the movies is all about, getting pop corn drenched in butter, a large drink and your favorite candy. Yes I know it's pricy but for the 2 times a year that we go to the movies it's worth it. We saw the movie Ted recently and my husband was craving raisinettes so we got a box and we shared a super size soda. I did not have any snack because I am watching what I eat. I know I can get those same candies at the dollar store but I don't. I can go 2 hors or more without a movie theater snack, but I need to have a drink because I do get thirsty. For the op who reuses the popcorn bag, that's really being a cheese bag. How do you keep getting away with that? How much are you really saving??? What's even funnier is that the minimum wage idiots don't even realize what you are doing. LOL

Old 08-14-2012, 08:47 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,076,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
So wait... you get food for free that you're not actually entitled to?

And the high price makes that OK with you?

Sorry, I don't understand that way of thinking at all.
I think that's also called "I paid your high price once. I'm entitled to free from now on." There's that word again.

I could have multi-quoted a lot of the posts, but it would have ended up being almost the entire thread. I'll just say that I agree with those who suggested eating either before or after the movie. The teenage boy won't starve. Guaranteed.

Last edited by Beretta; 08-14-2012 at 09:28 PM.. Reason: deleted the previously deleted posts

Old 08-14-2012, 11:15 AM

16,905 posts, read 16,130,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
That's what going to the movies is all about, getting pop corn drenched in butter, a large drink and your favorite candy. Yes I know it's pricy but for the 2 times a year that we go to the movies it's worth it. We saw the movie Ted recently and my husband was craving raisinettes so we got a box and we shared a super size soda. I did not have any snack because I am watching what I eat. I know I can get those same candies at the dollar store but I don't. I can go 2 hors or more without a movie theater snack, but I need to have a drink because I do get thirsty. For the op who reuses the popcorn bag, that's really being a cheese bag. How do you keep getting away with that? How much are you really saving??? What's even funnier is that the minimum wage idiots don't even realize what you are doing. LOL

Dang it, Lubby(!) - I can't give out reps yet!
(....but wth....not even a few raisinettes??? I love those critters!)

Old 08-14-2012, 11:19 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post

Dang it, Lubby(!) - I can't give out reps yet!
(....but wth....not even a few raisinettes??? I love those critters!)
I hate raisnettes and lately I find the popcorn extremely salty that I can't eat more than 2 handfulls.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:24 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
My daughter wants to bring food to the movies and impress a new boyfriend with something unexpected to eat:

What sorts of foods do you bring so that you don't have to pay for the expensive theater snacks?

I thought chicken legs would be messy and a little tacky but I know teenage boys like to eat "real" food as opposed to just snacks.
Where I live it is against the rules to bring in your own food. The only thing worse than paying "high" movie theater prices is being asked to leave the theater.

Besides eating the traditional junk food movie fare is part of the fun. I'd never consider bringing in my own stuff, it wouldn't be the same. (disclaimer, I haven't been to a movie in over 10 years so it's really not a big deal when I do go).

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-14-2012, 12:20 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
While I will admit I have brought candy into a movie theatre before (box candy, thank you very much), I have to agree with the majority here - it is wrong to sneak a bunch of food in. Movie theatres are in trouble because of DVD's, streaming, etc, on top of the huge fees the movie distribution companies charge them.

I rarely go to the theatre myself, but always buy popcorn and a drink when I do. It's part of the experience, to me.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:01 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,425,270 times
I always buy a xtra large popcorn with xtra butter-goo and salt.
For me it's just a part of going to the movies, and it always seems to taste better there.
As for Soda they have three machines about 15 feet in front of the entrance.

I do not feel bad about paying 1.25 vs 6.00 for a soda, and I have never had to hide it going inside.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:06 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You may not realize it and they certainly won't show it out of respect for their patrons, but you're being very disrespectful to the establishment.
No, it's not being disrespectful to the establishment. When we go out as a group to celebrate a birthday, and the bill for the table is upwards of $400, we're obviously not bringing in a cake to save money. It would always be cheaper to order dessert at the restaurant than the custom cakes that we have. In any case, I have always called ahead and asked if it was all right to bring in the cake, and no one has ever said no. These restaurants aren't exactly hurting for business, we're talking places that are packed every night on the weekends, so they aren't saying yes just because they desperately need the business either.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:09 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times
As a teenager I took food into a movie theater one time. I was with friends at a mall and we decided we would go to the movies while we were there. We stopped by the Hickory Farms store in the mall and bought some cheese and crackers and took it in with us. We knew we weren't supposed to have it because this was a theater that was known for throwing people out if they caught you with outside food. But we were hungry and didn't want candy or popcorn. We didn't get caught, but I felt really guilty for doing it, and never did it again. I felt like a thief. I told my mom what I'd done, she was shocked and appalled by what I did.

My kids had friends when in elementary school whose parents would take them to the movies. A couple of the moms would always call and ask what kind of candy and sodas my kids liked so they could be sure and have it for them. I would always just tell them that I would send my kids with enough money so they could buy whatever they wanted.

As for cakes at restaurants, anytime we've ever had a celebration I've called ahead to get the okay to bring a cake. And I have had establishments tell me "no". That's fine. We just made alternate plans.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:05 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
As a teenager, I did a lot of things in a movie theater that weren't allowed. Many of them were me impressing a girl and vice versa. And I'm not talking about food. However, if I asked my mom for advice on these activities, she certainly wouldn't encourage it or support it in one manner or another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink