Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you cook your hamburger well done?
Yes 15 68.18%
No 7 31.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 12:38 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,579,134 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if anyone cooks their hamburgers well done if it will kill the toxic strain of E Coli? I have never ate a humburger not well done but have a friend that is a master chief that cooks it very little and you can see the blood still running out of it. Do you cook yours well done?

Robert
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 07:53 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,014,689 times
I don't eat large portions of meat, but when I make anything with hamburger, it is well done, the same as pork and chicken. The exception is steak. I love it medium rare, on the few times I eat it.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:39 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,061,575 times
Don't buy pre-ground burger or frozen pre-made burger patties. The germs are in the feces that gets on the meat between butchering and grinding. Just grind your burger yourself from good clean beef and you can eat it raw if you want.
Remember the old saying, "If you want something done right you have to do it yourself".
Still true ! Another good tip for eating well is if you can't pronounce the ingredients, don't eat it !

Old 10-07-2007, 09:33 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,514,030 times
the best...and really the only way...to remove the risk completely is abstinence . You really should never consume meat that has been ground at a factory or processing plant. There can be no guarantee that fecal matter remains completely separate from the meat.

If you grind your own neat...or buy meat that has been ground on the premises where you bought but you are so much safer. Keep in mind that these days many supermarkets do not grind their own beef anymore. You are best to find a butcher or local provider. Hope this helps.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:10 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,176,790 times
As I understand it, cooking will kill the bacteria, but if the meat has been contaminated, cooking will NOT kill the toxins that the bacteria have already produced. It's those toxins that do the dirty deed.

I really don't know if that is correct. It's one of those things that I read somewhere once.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:22 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,798,790 times
You should be fine if the meat has been cooked to an internal temperature of 160 degrees F or above.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:06 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,301,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
You should be fine if the meat has been cooked to an internal temperature of 160 degrees F or above.
Thay may be true but I still wouldn't want to eat it!! Trouble is, we just don't know until "after" the fact. Yuk!

Old 10-08-2007, 06:49 AM

53 posts, read 122,449 times
I am very surprised!
I knew that you like humberger! but there! I am surprised!
In France, we like the humberger but one avoids eating them... c'est not good for health when one eats some of too...
but one from time to time... I do not say not!
++!

Old 10-10-2007, 12:10 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,431,945 times
Default Yes...it IS advisable to cook hamburger meat well done.

The higher the temp, the better the chances are the bacteria is killed.
However, some strains of bacteria is RESISTENT to high temps.
The strains of botulism is created with the bacteria and toxins they create. They CAN'T be killed with high temps, and grow WITHOUT the aid of oxygen. However, they are mostly found in canned goods (when a can is "bulging", DO NOT EAT it's contends!!!!)
With all what's going around, namely E. Coli, I am picking out my fresh beef roasts, and grind them fresh myself...... I will NEVER, EVER buy frozen patties.
My husband used to like his hamburgers a bit pink.....but, I have changed his mind now, and insist he will have it prepared well done.
The overall problem adding is the rule of thumb....the more steps the meat is going through being handled and processed raw, the more chances it will have to be contaminated.
Just some food for thought......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink