Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 04:17 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
But the worm would still be there......just frozen. And who wants to eat a frozen worm?
If you don't see it, it doesn't count.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 05:08 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,609,465 times
Speaking of animal parts, ever look at a bottle of conditioner or some lotions?

Yes, you will sometimes find "animal proteins" in those products. So finding unsavory things in every day items and not just food seems to be pretty common place.

Thanks for the rep, Caligula, I did end up eating something actually, I can't freak out about every little thing.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:37 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,826,890 times
Um I'm never eating oatmeal again.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:45 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,932 times
I've found bugs in my packaged pasta from Kroger. Yuck. Now everything with grains in it is stored in Tupperware. Seems to have minimized the bug issues.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:11 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,768,621 times
Think of it as a positive. Lots of grain products are laced with POISONS, to keep insects down. Poisons will hurt you. Worms like that will not hurt you.

I have a high degree of trust in Kroger products. Their potatoes sprout, which means they were not irradiated. And now, frankly, knowing a worm could survive in their oatmeal makes me confident in its safety.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:11 AM

2,271 posts, read 2,649,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
It is not unusual to see bugs in grain products. Sometimes they can't get them all out. It's always a good idea to check first. You eat more of them than you realize. It's nothing to get hysterical (or use profanity) about.

20yrsinBranson
Exactly. Bugs (and bug parts) are present in grain products and canned foods. It's unavoidable and a certain percentage are even allowed by the USDA because it's impossible to keep them out completely. All flour has larva eggs. That's how the black bugs get in your flour. The eggs were already there and they hatched. (TIP: When you bring your flour home, put the bag in the freezer at least overnight and up to 24 hours to kill them to the point they won't hatch.)

Studies show that people eat MANY bugs while they're sleeping.

People of other cultures have eaten bugs for centuries. While this may not be appetizing to us, it's a fact and not unusual. To get excited, outraged or cuss about it is childish and ignorant.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:14 AM

2,271 posts, read 2,649,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
Speaking of animal parts, ever look at a bottle of conditioner or some lotions?

Yes, you will sometimes find "animal proteins" in those products. So finding unsavory things in every day items and not just food seems to be pretty common place.
I make all of my own products from soaps and shampoos to toothpaste, laundry soap and fabric softener. I do this mainly to avoid all the chemical poisoning but I don't mind avoiding the "animal proteins" too!

Old 10-16-2012, 01:36 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,192,280 times
It used to be quite normal to find critters in cereal. When they disapeared some years later, I wondered what they had done to the food that even bugs wouldn't eat it....

Old 10-16-2012, 01:43 AM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
Exactly. Bugs (and bug parts) are present in grain products and canned foods. It's unavoidable and a certain percentage are even allowed by the USDA because it's impossible to keep them out completely. All flour has larva eggs. That's how the black bugs get in your flour. The eggs were already there and they hatched. (TIP: When you bring your flour home, put the bag in the freezer at least overnight and up to 24 hours to kill them to the point they won't hatch.)

Studies show that people eat MANY bugs while they're sleeping.

People of other cultures have eaten bugs for centuries. While this may not be appetizing to us, it's a fact and not unusual. To get excited, outraged or cuss about it is childish and ignorant.
Again, if I didn't see it, it didn't happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink