Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 09:20 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,392,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
No problem at all unless the Dog is unruly or dirty/smelly. As long as it's a reasonably clean dog, and well behaved and stays under the table or near his owner's table I don't care.

Plenty of dirty disgusting adult and kid customers and I would prefer a dog to those. Kids can be pretty gross as well as incredibly noisy and disruptive and most people seem to find this quite acceptable.

I think it is a cultural thing to be honest, many places in Europe it is considered perfectly normal. I don't remember ever getting some ghastly illness from a canine in a restaurant. I have also never been bothered by a Dog but I have however had many dinners ruined by kids or obnoxious adults...

I do draw the line at animals which are let to roam free however. I went to a restaurant in Oxford where one of the customer had this obnoxious parrot which was actually flying over our table.

I was not a happy bunny. This would actually be illegal in the UK I think but as the customer was also a friend of the owner nothing was going to happen unless I actually made a big fuss and called the police which would have been a tad ridiculous too. We just finished our starters and left without buying anything else. The same would go for wondering pet rats, snakes, whatever.

Well behaved and in clean condition no problem. When it starts to disturb my dinner then I really object though.

To me it's about balance and using your common sense.

And of course there is the issue of Guide Dogs or Medical Dogs.
I think the bolded part above says it all. We have a culture of germophobes (which is why we're so busily breeding super bugs both in and out of hospitals) and people who think that their preferences should be legislated.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:23 PM

578 posts, read 1,092,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Dog friendliness has gone too far. First, it's extremely insensitive for dog owners to bring their dogs into restaurants, and crazy for management to allow it. It's both a public health issue and an affront to people who do not wish to be around them.

In most states, mine included, it is against the law to bring a dog into a restaurant or any food service areas unless they are a certified service animal.

Dogs are allowed in open outdoor dining areas here as long as the restaurant posts a conspicuous sign saying they are allowed, so that other diners have warning that dogs could be present. It's the least they can do.
Glad I don't live in your state. If I dine alfresco with my pleasant pooch what's it to you. He's bathed weekly and has a most pleasant demeanor. Unlike some human crabby patrons

Old 11-13-2012, 09:26 PM

578 posts, read 1,092,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
Pets have their place, and one of them is not at a restaurant. Some people just want attention.
It has nothing to do with attention. How ridiculous I simply enjoy spending time with my pet as he is well behaved I can enjoy his company in public places.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:28 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,853,358 times
Most dogs behave better than many children in restaurants. I see nothing wrong with well behaved dogs in restaurants.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:43 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,155,348 times
Having a Service Dog that accompanys me to resturants and every where I go......it is difficult when I see those frequent dirty looks or lots of questions about why I need a service dog or what the dog does....when all I just want to do is go about my life. Federal Law does not require that a Service Dog wear a vest or be registeted with any specific agency. It does require that the dogs meet some very specific critera though.

So....next time you see a dog quietly laying at someones feet in a resturant or with someone in a store or at a hotel.....if the dog is not all dressed up or being strolled in a carriage or riding in someones purse.....the odds are the dog is a well trained Service Dog doing a very important job.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:11 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,791,155 times
I would take my dog every where if I could. He hides under the table at home when we eat and we are still perfectly healthy. I may have an issue with him being under a table where hundreds of feet may have been. I would be concerned that he might pick up something. Another concern would be fleas hopping around from pet to pet. Sometimes they just sneak up on you.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:53 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,430,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Most dogs behave better than many children in restaurants. I see nothing wrong with well behaved dogs in restaurants.
It is not just about behavior, it's about the diseases dogs can carry, and can pass on to people. I'm sorry so many pet owners are in denial about this obvious fact, because it makes it hard to have a rational discussion about the issue.

As a matter of fact, it is against Federal Law to bring pet animals of any kind into retail food establishments anywhere in the US. The additional protection of State and Local Health Laws is simply meant to make it easier for local agencies to enforce the prohibition as circumstances may require.

Here's the FDA regulation:

Quote:
6-501.115 Prohibiting Animals.(A) Except as specified in ¶¶ (B) and (C) of this section, live animals may not be allowed on the premises of a food establishment. Pf
FDA Food Code 2009: Chapter 6 - Physical Facilities

Bona fide service animals have a limited exception, as a restaurant can refuse them entrance if they do not feel food safety can be guaranteed to the other patrons.

Quote:
In areas that are not used for food preparation and that are usually open for customers, such as dining and sales areas, service animals that are controlled by the disabled employee or person, if a health or safety hazard will not result from the presence or activities of the service animal
Bottom line, please be considerate of other members of the public and don't bring Poochy into a restaurant or other retail food establishment. It's inconsiderate AND it's illegal.

Last edited by OpenD; 11-13-2012 at 11:02 PM..

Old 11-13-2012, 11:40 PM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by it_serpent View Post
I've noticed a trend over the past couple of years of people bringing dogs to restaurants. Usually it's at the outside tables at cafes or neighborhood bars. But more and more I've also seen people just straight up bring their dogs inside the dining area and lay next to the table while they eat.

I wonder where they draw the line. For example, if one were to bring in a pet bird or pet rat would it be ok they put him on the table to take a few nibbles if bread? Have you seen this happening in your area? What are your thoughts on people doing this?
No. I don't care if a dog sits at your feet, a parrot perches on your shoulder or a ferret hangs out in your pocket. I do not want to see pets on a table in a restaurant - at least not in the states. It's pretty hard to discourage monkeys.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:54 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,546,251 times
The state I live in has a law against dogs in restaurants except for service dogs. I believe this also extends to grocery stores but I'm not sure. It isn't just a matter of the dog being well behaved. Many people have allergies and should not be subjected to dogs when they eat out. I understand the outdoor type seating allowing dogs.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:23 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,618,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deliz View Post
It has nothing to do with attention. How ridiculous I simply enjoy spending time with my pet as he is well behaved I can enjoy his company in public places.
I'm sorry, but the people that I've seen around here that treat their pets better than other people make a loud statement how it's their, and their dog's(most typically), right to do what they want. "Its a free country", I hear often. lol The trauma a kid goes through from a little dog bite is amazing. I've seen it first hand. And yes, nobodys dog as ever, or will ever, bite anyone........until it happens.

I'm a major dog lover and she goes with me in the pickup everywhere in the country, but not in town. She also has never bitten anyone, but is protective of my kids.

I guess what I'm say'n is, if ya can't be apart from your dog for lunch/dinner.....than just order in and have a nice meal together, in your own home.

Just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink