Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2017, 06:45 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfocused View Post
Yes me too. Last time I had one, maybe a year ago? it was not the long chicken patty but a round one that was probably supposed to be an improvment but not to my taste buds.

I might be dreaming here but Im pretty sure that Burger King also had a similar veal sandwich in the 1980s.

Add in my vote also for already mentioned Wendys salad bar, Mcdonalds McLean Deluxe, and Taco Bell BellBeefer.

I saw a story on an internet site recently, the last two McDonalds still selling McPizza were finally discontinuing it. Havent seen that on a McDs menu since the mid 1990s, and it has not been missed.
They did have one, though it was not always on the menu. I liked it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 12:27 AM

936 posts, read 824,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
The old Crisco that made the most delicious flaky pie crusts ever. Don't want healthy when making pies my grandmother use to make. The new one doesn't make it flaky like the old one and has a weird taste.
Seriously, you should try lard in your pie crusts if you want to make it like grandma. Lard actually has less saturated fat than butter.

Speaking of animal fats, I miss the old McDonald's French fries before 1986 or 1987. Back in the day, McDonald's used to fry them in a mixture of beef tallow and vegetable oil. They were heavenly. Today's fries are pure inedible crap. The "health police" and the militant vegetarians made McDonald's get rid of the beef tallow.

Old 09-06-2017, 04:23 PM

3,454 posts, read 3,378,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
Seriously, you should try lard in your pie crusts if you want to make it like grandma. Lard actually has less saturated fat than butter.

Speaking of animal fats, I miss the old McDonald's French fries before 1986 or 1987. Back in the day, McDonald's used to fry them in a mixture of beef tallow and vegetable oil. They were heavenly. Today's fries are pure inedible crap. The "health police" and the militant vegetarians made McDonald's get rid of the beef tallow.
I miss those old style McDonald's fries, too. The ones of today are nowhere near as good, as their fries were back when they had beef tallow in them. It's too bad the company misstated this to vegetarians and got sued by McD's over this, causing them to eliminate cooking the fries that way.

On a different note about McD's, I hate when they changed their apple pies from fried to baked ones. I've allegedly heard Whataburger still fries all their fruit pies, but of course sadly the closest one is way too far away. I recall seeing a few near Tallahassee, but I have no idea when I'll be back there again to see family relatives. And we only stopped there, since it was on the way to where we were doing a family reunion trip(Saint George Island, FL).

If you do know any places that still fry fruit pies in the Chicago area that were like the McDonald's ones from 10-20(forget when the stupid switch from fried to baked happened) years ago, please let me know in a response. I'd make a trip out to there to see how it compares, even if it was a place in the suburbs. Or you can PM me on City Data. Either way works! I've allegedly heard the first McD's in California(Downey, CA, and I think this is because of a very, very old franchise agreement that the company can't interfere with stuff like this) is the only location in the U.S., still frying apple pies instead of baking them.

Old 09-06-2017, 04:28 PM

1,156 posts, read 941,766 times
The onion rings Burger King had in the 80s. Agree on the McDLT...that was a good idea. Baked potatoes at Carl's.

Old 09-06-2017, 04:36 PM

3,454 posts, read 3,378,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal25 View Post
The onion rings Burger King had in the 80s. Agree on the McDLT...that was a good idea. Baked potatoes at Carl's.
Never had the baked potatoes at Carl's Jr, so no comment. I also don't recall Hardee's(which exists where I live, but Carl's doesn't) serving those either, but I forget. There unfortunately isn't a Hardee's near me, and my chances to go to Hardee's(sadly) at a further away location(think like Racine, WI, or Niles, MI) aren't too often. I never tried the McDLT, but I miss the Arch Deluxe burger they used to serve briefly in the 1990s. Not a fan of the current onion rings BK serves, but I'm sure you're right that their older ones were much better. Speaking of BK, they should serve the cheesy tots a lot more often, and not just bring it back as a one month a year thing at most. That's probably the best side they serve nowadays, but they bring it back way too rarely.

Old 09-06-2017, 05:49 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Never had the baked potatoes at Carl's Jr, so no comment. I also don't recall Hardee's(which exists where I live, but Carl's doesn't) serving those either, but I forget. There unfortunately isn't a Hardee's near me, and my chances to go to Hardee's(sadly) at a further away location(think like Racine, WI, or Niles, MI) aren't too often. I never tried the McDLT, but I miss the Arch Deluxe burger they used to serve briefly in the 1990s. Not a fan of the current onion rings BK serves, but I'm sure you're right that their older ones were much better. Speaking of BK, they should serve the cheesy tots a lot more often, and not just bring it back as a one month a year thing at most. That's probably the best side they serve nowadays, but they bring it back way too rarely.
I think Hardee's and Carl's Junior are part of the same chain, and are essentially the same - right?

Old 09-06-2017, 05:55 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,884,129 times
Yes, today they are. But the interesting thing is the menus, while similar, have some differences. For example, Hardee's has maintained the "ThickBurger" brand, while Carl's Jr. has maintained the "Famous Star" brand. Beyond that, they share many items. (bring back the Turkey Burger, Carls!)

As an aside, I remember when Carls was just in California. It always seemed exotic to this northwesterner, as you could not find them outside of California.

Old 09-07-2017, 12:36 AM

1,156 posts, read 941,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyManCrazy View Post
The Jack in the Box Supreme menu was great. The Chicken Supreme was my favorite . I also miss Naugles.
Naugles is a whole other story, but yeah they are missed.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:53 AM

5 posts, read 6,015 times
Planters P.B. Crisp were the greatest, man. Mid-to-late 90s.

EDIT: I misread the thread title; it's for fast food stuff. Fair enough-- am I the only one who rememers enjoying the Arch Deluxe from McD's? I'm sure it was just the unparalleled thrill of eating a McD's burger for grown men, but I was into them.

Last edited by MadSammyboy; 09-07-2017 at 06:01 AM..

Old 09-07-2017, 06:08 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,624,328 times
BBC from Rax. Beef, Bacon, & Cheddar. Amazing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink