Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following kitchen gadgets do you have?
Rice cooker 32 42.11%
Quesadilla maker 4 5.26%
Pasta machine 9 11.84%
Bread maker 27 35.53%
Waffle iron 39 51.32%
Meat dehydrator 5 6.58%
Sandwich toaster 17 22.37%
George Foreman grill 28 36.84%
Slow cooker 66 86.84%
Pressure canner 14 18.42%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 08:01 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times

Advertisements

Wow, none of the above and I am the family cook. I guess I'm pretty low tech. I think if you have good quality pots and pans, item-specific appliances don't add much. I grill steaks on a cast iron flat surface I can put over two burners on my gas stove. And I grill sandwiches on a cast iron grill pan.

I used to have a slow-cooker, but I gave it away. Anything I made in it came out just as well in an enameled cast-iron Dutch oven. (Which, granted, I couldn't do while I'm at work, so I see the point of them for people out of the house all day.) I'd enjoy a waffle once in awhile, but not enough to pay for a waffle-maker. I make due with French toast.

I've made rice in a rice cooker, but it comes out just as well and just as fast in my heavy All-Clad pot, so I've never bought one. I have some Asian friends who basically keep the rice hot all day after it's prepared in an electric rice cooker, so I certainly see the purpose of that appliance under those circumstances.

I do have a rather expensive Kitchen-Aid mixer (not on your list) but even that I don't even use as often as I thought I would. I mainly use it to make cakes on people's birthdays. I can see using a bread-maker in some homes, but we don't eat that much bread. I buy a loaf once in awhile and if I don't remember to put half in the freezer, it goes bad before it's used. First-world problem, I know.

But don't anyone try to take away my bean-grinding Cuisinart coffee-maker with a thermal pot. I'd give up my dishwasher before I'd let go of that! I love to eat, but good coffee is more important than food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 08:10 PM

21,547 posts, read 8,727,966 times
I have only one item on the list, the waffle iron. It hardly ever gets used. I do have a Kitchen-Aid mixer, a coffee bean/spice grinder and a Cuisinart mini-chopper, all of which do get used regularly. Cooking rice on the stove has never been an issue for me, I'm afraid of pressure cookers, and I gave my Crock Pot away because it was taking up space. Never wanted a pasta maker. It sounds like a lot of work and probably is a hassle to clean.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:51 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times
I noticed several people mentioning the GF was hard to clean. Have any of you tried those little scrubber sponges that are specifically made to fit over the ridges on the GF? I bought my oldest son a GF and his came with the special sponges. He said it worked really well and made clean up easy. I always questioned it, simply because it was my then 19 yr old son (now 23) telling me this. What does he know about clean? I mean, I've seen his kitchen. Then I bought my younger son a GF this year for his apartment. His didn't come with one, nor did mine. But he went on Amazon and found them. He bought himself one and one for me too. I haven't tried it yet, but also says it works really well. He's a bit of a neat freak, so maybe I trust him a bit more. Just wondering if any of you actual cooks had tried them, because clean up is my only real complaint about the GF.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:33 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
I noticed several people mentioning the GF was hard to clean. Have any of you tried those little scrubber sponges that are specifically made to fit over the ridges on the GF? I bought my oldest son a GF and his came with the special sponges. He said it worked really well and made clean up easy. I always questioned it, simply because it was my then 19 yr old son (now 23) telling me this. What does he know about clean? I mean, I've seen his kitchen. Then I bought my younger son a GF this year for his apartment. His didn't come with one, nor did mine. But he went on Amazon and found them. He bought himself one and one for me too. I haven't tried it yet, but also says it works really well. He's a bit of a neat freak, so maybe I trust him a bit more. Just wondering if any of you actual cooks had tried them, because clean up is my only real complaint about the GF.
I wish I had bought the GF with the removable grills, but I didn't. I just take one of my cleaning towels, wet it and put it IN the grill. It just takes a few minutes to soften all the 'stuff' and wipes off clean.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:55 AM

131 posts, read 260,849 times
Rice Cooker - used mostly for cooking vegetables about 2 to 3 times a month
Bread Machine - used for making bread for use as garlic bread about 2 times a month
Waffle Iron - seldom used
George Foreman Grill - seldom used
Slow Cooker - used about once month

Have a sandwich maker (this may be a sandwich toaster) that is like a two sided griddle that you close a filled sandwich in to cook (cheese, pepperoni, other meats), also seldom used.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:10 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times
When I worked my slow-cooker got a work-out. Now that I'm retired and cooking for one, not so much.

My George Foreman grill isn't. Isn't a GF, I mean. It's a little cheap-o that I picked up for about $12. and it makes a nice burger. Since I don't eat burgers very often, it doesn't get used much either.

I've never seen a real need for me to own any of the other items listed in the poll.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:21 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,322,446 times
We have a bread machine, a waffle iron (only used once - another of hubby's fads, lol) and a slow cooker.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:11 PM

149 posts, read 206,804 times
Just three ... the bread machine, slow cooker and waffle iron.

I've never used the waffle iron. It was a wedding gift I got over two decades ago. I suppose I should use it at least once.

I do use the bread machine a few times a month, usually on the dough cycle. There are few things more delectable than fresh-baked bread right out of the oven. I also use the basic cycle sometimes ... or just make it by hand. The stuff that passes for bread in most supermarkets is "meh" to me.

Slow cooker about once or twice a month, mostly in the winter. I like making pot roasts, stews and chili during the colder months. The smell of chili after a busy day of running around is pretty delectable as well.

I don't have enough counter space or storage space to put a whole lot of things, so I don't buy them or ask for them as gifts.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:21 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
But you've left off all the other kitchen gadgets I have....
coffeemaker
Nepresso expresso machine
coffee grinder (burr) never used - gotta dig that thing out!
Vitamix
Toaster/convention oven
Green Life Juicer
Kitchen aide mixer
icecream maker
toaster

Old 12-05-2012, 12:57 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
It seems that we are discussing appliances which cook food. The toaster/convention oven would make the list but I'm not sure about the others.

From the list, I have a pressure cooker, not a canner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink