Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like eating salmon?
Strongly like 83 53.21%
Like 30 19.23%
Neutral 5 3.21%
Don't like, but can manage eating depending on how it's cooked 14 8.97%
Strongly dislike 24 15.38%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 11:39 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
Why is the salmon I cook in the oven always so fishy? I tried rosemary, thyme, dill, pepper, garlic, ginger, wine, lemon juice, teriyaki sauce, to no avail, whether it's farmed or wild or organic salmon.
Honestly, this stumps me. If you are sure it's nice and fresh and don't overcook it, then it should not need a bunch of spices on it.
Try super fresh (not frozen), grilled in a little butter, salt and pepper, then squeeze a bit of fresh lemon juice on it. Done and done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 12:21 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,748,440 times
I make a blackened salmon in order to eat it; I like the crunchy outside. It's probably overdone for some people made this way, though.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:27 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,916 times
It's not my favorite fish, but I do like it. I can't eat it with just butter (the way my mom made it growing up, which I hated)...I need it in a sauce to eat it.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:34 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
LOVE IT! But I only buy wild-caught, Alaskan salmon, I don't eat that anemic "keta" salmon (aka "dogfish").

My favorite preparation of it is cooked on a wood-fire grill (it is awesome at "Bonefish Grill restaurant") and also smoked - my local fish market smokes it fresh every Fri. and OMG!!!! it is better than candy!

Anyway, we eat a lot of it, when I make it at home, I purchase wild-caught sockeye (frozen) and thaw it completely, then bake it simply with some lemon butter and sometimes bell pepper strips. Lots of protein and Omega 3's.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:47 PM

7,639 posts, read 8,711,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Honestly, this stumps me. If you are sure it's nice and fresh and don't overcook it, then it should not need a bunch of spices on it.
Try super fresh (not frozen), grilled in a little butter, salt and pepper, then squeeze a bit of fresh lemon juice on it. Done and done.
Does overcooking have to do with the fishy taste? If so, that might be one of the reasons, because I tend to cook it longer than necessary, and the meat is not as tender as those in good restaurants.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:05 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
When I make salmon for my husband I season it with salt, dill and fresh lemon juice. I saute in a little olive oil on medium high heat for a couple minutes each side. He likes his rare in the middle.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:18 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
I don't like any fish except if its fried and drizzled with lots of key lime juice. The only seafoods I really like are fried shrimp and conch fritters.
As an avid fisherman, when I lived in Florida I could never understand my fishing buddies who spent hours and thousands of dollars fishing for Dolphin while passing on an assume variety of other species because they tasted too much like fish! Well Duh! They taste like fish because they aren't CHICKENS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
Does overcooking have to do with the fishy taste?
I think that is the problem (other than see above). I suppose the way that I cook salmon, first achieving a nice sear on both sides and removing it from the fire and letting it cook just on the heat of the pan until it has lost its translucency. Remember even after being removed from the pan it will continue to cook. So don't overdo it. By the way, the flakiness isn't when it separates into dried chunks but rather when it delicately separates when the prod of a fork.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:12 PM

782 posts, read 1,105,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
When I make salmon for my husband I season it with salt, dill and fresh lemon juice. I saute in a little olive oil on medium high heat for a couple minutes each side. He likes his rare in the middle.
Try increasing the heat some, and cook just on the skin side for the strong majority of the cook time. This gives the skin that delicious crispy yuminess. So good, one of the best things about a perfectly cooked salmon.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:35 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
I like good salmon. Recently the local stores all had it on sale, so I went a bit nuts. The Fresh Market had the best. A bit fatty, rich, bright pink, thick filets. Once grilled they just about fell apart. Whole Foods had the worst. Much thinner, and they had numerous threads of gristle.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:14 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
I urge anyone who eats salmon, and those who don't, to try this awesome and simple recipe:

Two salmon steaks, roughly one inch thick (about a lb.)

Preheat oven to 475

Place 3 Tbsp. butter in cookware and place in oven, getting butter boiling

Remove cookware, place salmon steaks, skin side up, in baking dish, place in oven for 6 minutes.

Remove baking dish, and then remove skin from salmon. Peel off with a knife.

Flip salmon over and press the following mixture onto top of salmon:

- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. finely ground bread crumbs
- 1 tsp. lemon pepper
- 1 tsp. coriander or fennel

Bake 6 to 7 minutes max.

Remove and ladle remaining butter from dish over crumb topping

Enjoy! (warning, this recipe is addictive)

Last edited by odanny; 01-07-2013 at 08:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink