Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 10:25 PM

51 posts, read 265,509 times

Advertisements

There is a lot of talk right now, I've read a few reports (from university researches, not some chili sauce sellers) claiming that capsaicin (a compound in chili peppers responsible for hot sensation) has endless benefits, including killing cancer cells, improving heart function and treating arthritis. I've recently been experimenting with hot peppers and each time I eat them I add a little bit more or use a hotter kind. Today I had a pleasure (let's call it so) to eat a Naga Jolokia.... the waitress asked me if I didn't need water when she saw me breathing very fast to cool down my mouth Anybody here like eating hot peppers as well? Looking for a forum where people talk about chili peppers, can't find anything so far....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 10:16 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
I have heard this for years. One of the benefits, for those who enjoy chili peppers, there isn't a need for a lot of other spices, partcularly salt. We have always enjoyed hot peppers, being raised in So Ca and living for years in both NM and Texas. Has it helped our health, probably not.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:07 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,795,182 times
Capsaicin's effect on arthritis pain is topical, not internal. You have to rub it into your skin with a delivery method such as cream, lotion, or balm. Ingesting foods containing chili pepper in it won't treat arthritis, at all.

It is also an irritant when ingested - which is why some people who eat a lot of peppery foods have heartburn. It can -also- irritate the rectum on its way -out- of the body.

Not everyone has problems with it, though most people end up with some kind of irritation if they consume too much, or if they consume more than their particular digestive system can handle. I'm fine with jalapenos and cherry peppers and banana peppers. Anything hotter than that, and I need some dairy or a pina colada handy to sooth the burn.

I'm not fond of "hot for the sake of hot" kind of peppers. If it's so hot that it obscures the taste of the food, then it's just a waste for me.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:50 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,520,043 times
I love hot peppers and use them in many ways. I like jalapenos, serranos, Thai peppers and even an occasional habanero. I chop them up (seeds and all) and put them on sandwiches, in omelets, in chili, in marinades and dipping sauces, and even salads with bleu cheese dressing. It's not a macho thing for me, I just enjoy the taste of chili peppers.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:57 PM

459 posts, read 757,907 times
We love hot peppers! We grow jalapenos and hot banana peppers in our garden. Also use a lot of red pepper flakes.

With really spicy I food, I find I eat slower and therefore end up eating less. Also I drink more water...so maybe some additional health benefits???

Old 03-09-2013, 07:18 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,883,675 times
About five years ago I hurt my back and within a day I had an insatiable desire for hot - I mean really hot foods. I would go to the Thai restaurants and ask for "Thai hot" and then load additional peppers on the dish. I even made a Habanero relish to use at home (wow - I learned a few lessons about gloves doing that).

After my back healed my desire and tolerance for very spicy foods diminished. I was told that my brain was creating the desire for hot peppers to create endorphines to ease the pain. Sounds good to me.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Capsaicin's effect on arthritis pain is topical, not internal...
Not completely - there is clinical evidence that it causes the release of endorphines, which block pain.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:43 PM

51 posts, read 265,509 times
Quote:
Capsaicin's effect on arthritis pain is topical, not internal. You have to rub it into your skin with a delivery method such as cream, lotion, or balm. Ingesting foods containing chili pepper in it won't treat arthritis, at all.
I had a problem with my hands (felt like extreme tiredness, probably slight arthritis) for a longer period of time. I didn't try any medications or anything but once I burned my hands really bad when chopping jalapenos. They burned for about half an hour. The next day I noticed that I didn't have the tiredness feeling no more. It was gone for about 3 months. Then I did some research and found out that Capsaicin does treat arthritis. Now I'm having the same problem with my hands and I think I'm going to do the same trick again - burn my hands with hot peppers. Have you heard of somebody doing that with peppers, not lotions etc?

Quote:
It can -also- irritate the rectum on its way -out- of the body.
Well, this happens to be an issue sometimes

Old 03-09-2013, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoeskaite View Post
...Now I'm having the same problem with my hands and I think I'm going to do the same trick again - burn my hands with hot peppers. Have you heard of somebody doing that with peppers, not lotions etc?...
The capsaicin can work topically for arthritis using peppers but you have no control over the amount that's being applied this way. A capsaicin cream delivers a measured amount.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:21 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times
The long line of pepper bellies in my family have known this for centuries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink