Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 07:24 PM

51 posts, read 88,310 times

Advertisements

Nope. It isn't rocket science.

Still, soft scrambled eggs are neither runny nor fluffy.
They are dense..and creamy curds.
There is a "right" mouth feel to them.... they are removed just before they set...there are no runny juices...a soft firm.
if they are "fluffy" they are not soft scrambled eggs.
Fluffy eggs are the opposite of hard scrambled eggs...which are tough, rubbery. Fluffy eggs have been turned, lifted rather than pushed and barely folded. Much more like an omelet. Or rather, the outside edges of an omelet.

Seriously, it ISN'T rocket science.... but they are not scrambled eggs, nor hard, or fluffy or runny scrambled eggs.

Soft scrambled eggs done right are heaven on earth.

And they take time, low heat and butter.

And once you have tasted them done right, you will make sure you know how to cook them right.

Not saying, at all, that people shouldn't eat scrambled eggs the way they want to, the way they like them. After all, that is what we all do. Eat things to our liking.

It's probably better explained by describing soft boiled eggs... runny, soft yolks and yet a soft solid firm, but not hard, rubbery white.

Anyway.. I love them....and anytime I cook them for someone who has never had them before? They are instant converts.

I just found out that I can get fresh eggs from a neighbor...I can not wait to make these! In fact, I will make a point of making either soft boiled eggs, soft scrambled eggs or hard boiled eggs enough to become a regular customer ......3 bucks a dozen!

Old 02-05-2016, 08:18 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMMc View Post
...And once you have tasted them done right, you will make sure you know how to cook them right...
I've tasted them done "right," and for me, "right" is runny.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:10 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
That's because there's no ROI for taking the time (and that carton of liquid eggs isn't very motivational).
One local restaurant did a very lovely soft scrambles eggs serves with a mini salad of micro greens. And corn. It was amazing. Then the closed/reformulated/whatever. Now they are about to open the third iteration. On the up note, it'll be really cheap!

Old 02-05-2016, 11:05 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I've tasted them done "right," and for me, "right" is runny.
I don't like mine runny, but wet, if that makes any sense.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:07 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I don't like mine runny, but wet, if that makes any sense.
Actually, it makes a lot of sense, because I'll gladly eat them that way also. Most folks would prefer your "wet" version over my runny version.

Last edited by Dirt Grinder; 02-05-2016 at 11:18 PM..

Old 02-05-2016, 11:10 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,204 times
Sometimes water or milk is added to scrambled eggs to make them extra light and fluffy, but it could also be just eggs undercooked a bit.

Old 02-06-2016, 12:17 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
Going to make some soft scrambled eggs for breakfast! With heavy cream because I'm decadent

Old 02-06-2016, 02:25 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMMc View Post
Nope. It isn't rocket science.

Still, soft scrambled eggs are neither runny nor fluffy.
They are dense..and creamy curds.
There is a "right" mouth feel to them.... they are removed just before they set...there are no runny juices...a soft firm.
if they are "fluffy" they are not soft scrambled eggs.
Fluffy eggs are the opposite of hard scrambled eggs...which are tough, rubbery. Fluffy eggs have been turned, lifted rather than pushed and barely folded. Much more like an omelet. Or rather, the outside edges of an omelet.

Seriously, it ISN'T rocket science.... but they are not scrambled eggs, nor hard, or fluffy or runny scrambled eggs.

Soft scrambled eggs done right are heaven on earth.

And they take time, low heat and butter.

And once you have tasted them done right, you will make sure you know how to cook them right.

Not saying, at all, that people shouldn't eat scrambled eggs the way they want to, the way they like them. After all, that is what we all do. Eat things to our liking.

It's probably better explained by describing soft boiled eggs... runny, soft yolks and yet a soft solid firm, but not hard, rubbery white.

Anyway.. I love them....and anytime I cook them for someone who has never had them before? They are instant converts.

I just found out that I can get fresh eggs from a neighbor...I can not wait to make these! In fact, I will make a point of making either soft boiled eggs, soft scrambled eggs or hard boiled eggs enough to become a regular customer ......3 bucks a dozen!

1. "Fluffy" scrambled eggs...term is open to interpretation...my idea of fluffy may not be your idea of fluffy.

2. You must have eggs confused with dairy (you know, milk products?), because eggs do NOT have curds, ever. Dairy has curds...cheese curds, curds & whey.

Again, not rocket science. No one is wrong or right.

Old 02-06-2016, 05:26 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
Sometimes water or milk is added to scrambled eggs to make them extra light and fluffy, but it could also be just eggs undercooked a bit.
Exactly: that is how they did them on the show: Ann used water. My dad used to use milk, which is fine but he used way to much. I did it just like Ann but I did use milk. The secret seems to be, beat them to death before cooking them, cook them slowly with butter.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:34 AM

51 posts, read 88,310 times
2. You must have eggs confused with dairy (you know, milk products?), because eggs do NOT have curds, ever. Dairy has curds...cheese curds, curds & whey.

Geeze, you must be right!
What ever was I thinking!?!?

How To Make Soft, Creamy Scrambled Eggs — Cooking ...
soft scrambled egg curds from The Kitchn | Inspiring cooks, nourishing homes
www.thekitchn.com/how-t...
Apartment Therapy's The Kitchn
194 cal
Aug 3, 2015 - The secret here is cooking the eggs low and slow — low heat, plus plenty of time for soft eggy curds to gradually form.

Scrambled Eggs - Bon Appetit
//www.city-data.com/forum/food-...common-mistake...
Bon Appétit
Feb 11, 2015 - Making scrambled eggs isn't exactly rocket science—but our test kitchen ... For large, creamy curds, use a sweeping motion with the spatula, ...

Soft-Scrambled Eggs | Serious Eats
soft scrambled egg curds from Serious Eats: The Destination for Delicious | Serious Eats
//www.city-data.com/forum/food-...ambled-eggs-re...
Serious Eats
May 14, 2015 - This recipe produces moist scrambled eggs with medium-size curds. ...

The Best Scrambled Eggs Recipe - NYT Cooking
soft scrambled egg curds from cooking.nytimes.com
cooking.nytimes.com/.../1015676-the-best-scrambled-eggs
Rating: 4 - ‎272 votes - ‎40 min - ‎296 cal
For silky, outrageously good scrambled eggs, cook them low and slow This method ... breaking up the curds as they form, until the mixture is a mass of soft curds.

Basics: How to Make Soft Scrambled Eggs | SAVEUR
Basics: How to Make Soft Scrambled Eggs | SAVEUR
Saveur
Apr 5, 2015 - Make perfect soft scrambled eggs by using a double boiler for low, even ... even heat that eggs love (think custards, curds, and pastry creams).

If you watch the pictorial at seriouseats you will even see what soft scrambled eggs look like while cooking in the pan....scroll down and see Fluffy eggs cooking in the pan to see that they look different.

There is also this at the end of the soft scrambled eggs pan pics

The resulting eggs are creamy and moist, but not wet or runny.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/05/h...bled-eggs.html

Last edited by EMMc; 02-06-2016 at 10:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink