Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 01:11 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,454,986 times

Advertisements

I think there's more acute awareness because we've become a more global economy with greater consumer demands. That's cheap food year 'round in abundance. Agriculture became monoculture with all the poor land stewardship and unsustainable practices that come with it. After decades of incontrovertibly harmful practices we're increasingly aware of the cost, not just the home economics bottom line.

But I'm really not an organics label reader or environmental activist. I'm not motivated by base nutritional information either. I know how to nourish myself regardless. I do know good flavor when I taste it though. I used to think the flavor difference between supermarket food and farm fresh was only noticeable in tomatoes, but there's so much more I've come to discover.

Fortunately I live close to small farms and can be every bit as cost conscious with their produce. It's good, completely natural, tasty food, fairly priced, whose trade happens helps my region too, in health, civics and economics. Aside from eating so much better than before, that's why I suddenly care about what I eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 10:39 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,769,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I think that it is by the public NOT paying attention to the contamination of our food that has gotten the government and industry into collusion to allow the highest profit rather than healthfulness and flavor be the goal of the food industry.

I think our diligence pays off and if there were not folks who sounded the alarms and complained at every chance we would be a lot worse off than we now are. I congratulate those who stay on top of such issues. They are doing a service to humanity.

A person can be a vegetarian with bad genes, but I think of President Clinton who watched his weight, religiously worked out each morning and ran faster and longer than his security people, and whose only bad habit (that could affect his health) was loving steaks and hamburgers. He got a heart attack and is now a vegetarian.

James Garner was a spokesman for the beef industry and died of a heart attack.
Ruth of Ruth Chris' Steak House died of heart problems.
Wow, I guess someone forgot to tell him he died because he's still alive and will turn 85 in 4 days! People just making nonsense up to use as scare tactics is just ridiculous.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:14 AM

109 posts, read 155,559 times
I think the reason behind this is that most of the foods we ate today contains chemicals and additives that could harm our body. I'm not really that concern before but I get so sick so easily these days and I think it's the food that I consume. Specially the processed foods and canned goods they could contain additives that can make us sick so I'm really careful on picking foods to eat.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:29 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,981,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Absolute bunk! As we've already ascertained, plenty of healthful options exist, usually at only slightly higher cost, and no one is prohibited from seeking them. And if these options were as effective as some of their advocacies claim, the world would quuickly beat a path to those peoples'' doors.

Below is a link to just one of many alternative health sites:

www.curezone,com

I'm neither endorsing it nor opposing it; I'm merely pointing out that the opinions there cover an enormous range, and as is always the case with such media, there is an extremist fringe for each subject.

And on top of all that, each individual is unique. What workes for you or me might not for the guy or gal next door. Some of it -- life span vs. life expectancy -- is genetic and not subject to much influence, if any, by changes in lifestyle.

Bur the maoi point I seek to make here is that a collection of over-indulged children, who have been conditioned to expect too much, too easily -- who would rther seek somebody to blame rather than deal with hard choices. -- can only make things into more of a crapshhot by running to Big Brother amd the Nanny-State for "helpl".
Well, they have a point. Our food is under inspected as compared to other civilized nations. We do doctor up animal feed with hormones and antibiotics, causing problems. Beef feed has ingredients that destroy flavor and probably nutritive values. Tomatoes definitely have been tweaked until all that is left is appearance. Oranges, as well.

These are things the individual consumer can do little to control. How do I know my steak has inferior flavor until I purchase it? Are the ingredients in the cows diet printed on the label? How do I know that my dairy milk contains bovine growth hormone? How do I know, until I purchase, that my tomato is tasteless?

These are the proper purview of government. The protection of the public, on such matters, is what we elect officials for. Instead of doing their duty, they choose to cave to industry's lobbyists. People are rightfully upset.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
James Garner is alive and Ruth Fertel died in 2002 of lung cancer.
Perhaps. I stand corrected. Then Garner had a heart attack and quit working as a shill for the beef industry. Ruth did have a meat related problem. The news program that I listened to said she had a heart problem and died of it.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
I don't care which the net result is what matters. I would rather make it to 80 have fun and some occasional vices, than be a monk eating wheat grass all day and make it to 100.
Yes, and you are so entitled to do that, but others should also have a choice.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:53 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,059,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
And the organic produce had higher levels of bacteria.
The organic produce had lower levels of pesticides - Sometimes bacteria is beneficial - we have learned that from the anti-bacterial soaps - they are not healthy........organic farmers don't use chemical cleansers on their produce like commercial non-organic growers do.....your point makes my point - organic is superior to non-organic.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:03 PM

16,395 posts, read 30,300,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
The organic produce had lower levels of pesticides - Sometimes bacteria is beneficial - we have learned that from the anti-bacterial soaps - they are not healthy........organic farmers don't use chemical cleansers on their produce like commercial non-organic growers do.....your point makes my point - organic is superior to non-organic.

No, they use organic fertilizers - that can include e coli bacteria which can attack your kidneys among other things.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:07 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,492,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Yes, and you are so entitled to do that, but others should also have a choice.
Sure it's part of living in a mostly free country.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:20 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,059,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
No, they use organic fertilizers - that can include e coli bacteria which can attack your kidneys among other things.
Ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink